Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP]Quake Characters

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
I'm working on beefing up my folio with some professional concept art based characters. I recently talk with Paul Richards who gave me permission to make some models off of his concepts. This is the first character I will work on, a Quake Marine.

Here is one of the initial concepts.

This is a closeup of the more finalized version of the torso.

I initially started this model off of the first concept. The amount of information in the first concept is limited, and I only found the closeup of the torso a couple days ago. As a result, there are some pieces that I had modeled previously that differ between the two and I am kind of back tracking in an attempt to reconcile these. So here are the front and back views of the armor thus far in Sub-D. I've modeled out a template body to keep proportions in tact that is not shown here.

2a.jpg
2-1.jpg
1a.jpg

After I complete this model, I am going to produce this one as well.

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    While I love what you are doing and think its spot on, I have to say, I wish Quake 4 was less generic and Halo like, and more like the awesome style of Quake 2 :(

Back on topic though, what you have so far looks amazing. Are you planning on making this game quality level? It would be nice to get some "good" model work in Quake 4 to be honest.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey bud!

I'm still amazed at your hard surface modeling, I suck at it that's why.. anyways this is a really great start, cant wait to see what you do to the characters body. do you plan on taking this all the way to texturing?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work so far! I like the presentation so far, as well. What are you working in, out of curiosity?
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks great, what are you working on? possible to share?will this be in quake 4?clear.gif
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the replies and kind words guys! No update today, but in a day or two, I hope to have a lot more to show. It is going to be a really busy week for me as I am preparing to go out of town for work next week. We'll see where I am able to get.

odium: thanks a lot man! I hear ya on the style variation from Q2 - Q4. I do plan on making this game quality. I don't have enough game ready material in my portfolio right now, and need to amp up that as well as the quality.

jam-i-am: greetings from the eastern seaboard! thanks for the props on the hard-surface stuff! i do plan on taking this all the way to texturing, although i will probably wait until i finish modeling out the female character as well. that way i consciously keep the texture work consistent between the two.

Valandar: Thanks! I'm glad everyone is liking it thus far. I'm modeling in Maya. I will most likely take some of these pieces into zbrush for some simple cuts, dents, and scraps. When I model out a good base for the body/clothes, I will detail in zbrush, and retopo. I'm g;ad you like the presentation as well.

fast1: I am working on trying to getting into the industry. This isn't for any game or mod or anything, it is more to show that I can create a character from a concept and stick to it.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I thought, it was a ridiculously busy week and I maybe only worked on this a few hours this week. Blughhhhhhhhhh. Anyway, I'm blockin' in the helmet, hardened up the back pieces and added some more details.
    5.jpg
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey josh I'm digging the helmet, I like how your approaching this from a real world standpoint, what I mean is in life these things such as helmets and armors are usually already created and are then fitted to the human. a lot of people make that mistake. including myself..Guiltyyyyyyyyyy!!!

anyways I would watch the edges of your bevels and not make them too thin.. the idea is that when light hits it, it has a nice plane to hit and not a really thin edge...i hope that made sense..

keep it up man this is gonna be dope!!
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Oooh I love that guys art - really would love to see it done justice like this. Keep it up!

Jams totally right about edges there - one really handy thing, to avoid disapointment later on, is to keep in mind a rough texture resolution for each area (so, if your doing a 2k map, the backs what, 512x512 ish)
    A good excercise is to make a little grid about the same res and hold it over your model - you can see what details are going to get lost in the normals map. Its better to get a chunkier take that reads well in the game than a 100% copy of the art.

On the subject of readability, some of the details need to be angled a little so they scan up on the low poly capture mesh too - Im looking mainly at the cylinder under the
    mid back that looks like a cotton spool- the edges may need to be angled slightly when you capture the normals- but that depends on the resolution of your low at that area.
    So you know I am not crapping on here, I do a looooooot of armor modeling, and the biggest tip I can offer is model over a great undersuit mesh- and dont skimp on the undersuit. You actually model much, much faster having the undersuit in place, and you wont face a soul crushing experience of having to tweak twenty frikkin complex peices of geo if you later realise you havent got the proportions quite right.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    the armor is comin along beautifully dude. Only nitpick is the piece in between the collar bones, at the base of the neck. You're close to the concept, but yours is dangerously resembling a nose-like form. maybe the middle part of it could have a stronger taper, and the sides, should be more elliptical. Either way, not a deal breaker, but you're still in the early sages so I thought it worth bringing up. Keep it up.
  • Thaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great but I was hoping to see a fiend or a shambler! :(
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly grinding away at this one. Free time has been immeasurably hard to come by these days with the little one squirmin' about and family time at an ultimate high. Nothing has been combined and welded yet (no biggy), and there's still a good amount of stand in geo and unfinished details. Lots of stuff to still do, but I felt this may be a worthy enough update to post. Meh. I'll have him finished by this time in 2012. :)

marine_1a.jpg
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    It is better to model slowly then to model badly.

Also I know the feeling I have like two out-standing projects that I still need to finish. But with work/education and other commitments I have barley any free time.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool so far, maybe the neck is too long?
  • AVBN5000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AVBN5000 polycounter lvl 9
    I am also working on redoing some of the original monsters in the first Quake. I will post shortly (new to the forums)

Very nice armor!
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man.. really great update, I agree with Target_Renegade on maybe his neck is a tad long, other than that..this is really cool!!!..I especially like the clean presentation which makes everything easy to read,I can easily differentiate skin metal and cloth.

is he shirtless? i know you probably haven't touched that yet but maybe some sort of sleeveless shirt?

this is gonna be dope when completed..keep it up man.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa: It's more of the free time that has delayed me with this guy than anything. I feel your pain though :(

Target_Renegade: I totally see what you mean. I think that I may actually need to beef up the girth of his neck a bit. He's so stocky, especially with all the armor, that with his neck as skinny as it is now makes it look lengthy. See the paintover and let me know if you think I should bring the neck down more. :)

AVBN5000: Cool man. I'll keep an eye out for those!

jam-i-am: Thanks for the crit and comments! Yeah, he's totally goin' topless to get the hot chicks! I like the idea of a sleeveless shirt a lot! I was debating making him shortsleeved or long sleeved, but with as many straps that are on his arms now, I didn't want to overdo the number of paralell lines with a short sleeved shirt. Plus, I wanted to give this guy some mass to flex and not more wrinkles in a long sleeve shirt that would clash with his pants. Check out the paintover I did of some underarmor suit idea and let me what you think.

I've tried to come up with a final list of all the stuff I need to wrap up on the highpoly before making my lowres and start baking and texturing.

What do you guys think about superficial details on his skin (arms, face)? How far should I take that?

Also, I'm in search of some good gun concepts. EQ showed me some real good ones, but if anyone else knows of any, post 'em here or shoot me a PM.

paintover.jpg
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good!!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Amazing stuff! Can't wait to see this finished.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Always loved the Quake concepts. Looking good sofar :)
  • W1LLDAB3AST
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some pants seams and back pockets would be nice.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update shmupdate... kinda hit a snag last night... had some file corruption during my last save from a memory exception. so thankfully i had made a backup earlier that day and worked on some of it this morning and a little during lunch. still not happy with the pants, need to make some vert tweaks on some objects and such... getting closer to finishing the HP i hope

Ancient-Pig: Thanks man! I'm so in love with your Mega-Man revisited!

Cody: Thanks for the encouragement!

Snefer: Those concepts have always caught my eye too. You need to totally take dw5 by the horns next year man because your general portrait was great stuff!

W1LLDAB3AST: you got it man... those are on the list for tonight. :)

marine_7709.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice work man! keep it up :)
    i think the cloth on his arse is weird tho, and shoes could use some more bits and bobs (you probably got that planned already tho.
    good stuff!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster: thanks mate! i worked a little more on the the cloth in general and i think the anal region may look a tad better. as for the boots, i really didn't have a lot planned. i was working on the helmet at one point and i realized that i was starting to get too techy and adding too much, so i kind of steered away from that on the boots. however, i do totally agree that they need something more. they seem kind of "meh, they're boots" at this point. do you have any suggestions?

so here's the pretty much finished high poly. not too different from the last post, but not all the armor was finished, and this render shows some areas better than the zbrush renders which i'm not a huge fan of. i'm going to work on the low-poly this weekend and get the first bake going... maybe start dinkin' around with a color palette and such.

** Turntable Quicktime Video **

i also made a turntable out of ZB if you are interested (RAR file). the one place i know i have to address is where his calves enter the boot. that area needs to be pulled out more. speaking of ZB, decimation master is so awesome. :)
    render_test1.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    badass... this guy looks like he's ready to get shot at.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Brilliant.
    It takes alot of balls to actually decide and to go work on a "paul richards concept for quake/doom" concept. I myself pussied out of it many times :) YOu on the otherhand, beat it to the punch and came out with a stunning model. Love it
    now its all upto your textures now..........
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Shaping up pretty nicely man....keep on truckin ;)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First test bake. Wanted to see how the chest and back armor would come out. Still deciding on where I want to add more geo (i.e. cod piece, pants, boots, etc). Some errors here and there, but nothing too horribly awful to fix. Shoulders will be separate as well as all pouches and the helmet. The head will also be separate with it's own map for switching out faces and such.

**** EDIT: This is on hold due to ComiCon; just can't resist :) ****

marine_bake1.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Looking really sweet dude, but your lowpoly isnt making your highpoly justice. The silhouette looks a little boring and flat. I would pop more of the details in there on the lowpoly, if you already have, exaggerate them a little after baking. And all those those little pockets should be modelled out! :)silhouette is king!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor: I hear ya dude. I agree with there being a lot of flat areas. This was totally a test for the main armor and figuring out where i wanted to add more geo for the silhouette. All those pockets are going to be in there themselves. I didn't even map out the body yet... this is just an automap (aside from the forearm area which i unwrapped because i was concerned with the extrusion distance from the highpoly). Thanks man.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome, i hear ya! cant wait to see more :)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great improvement!
    but this helmet is too small i think.
  • Walking Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walking Fly polycounter lvl 8
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking nice but those are the thickest most unbendable wrists ive seen in ages, even if its armoured it looks wrong
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really great, but like Shep, the wrists bother me. And the boots feel kinda strange to me. He'd have to do that 'walking in ski boots' hobble instead of a run. Feels like there should be a seam from the top of the foot (the soccer-ball-kicking part) to the ankle/heel.