Home Technical Talk

What monitor to get?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
Evening folks, after selling my machine and relocating, it's time to get a new one now that I have settled in. What I need some help with is what monitor to get. Not a big deal but figured I'd check if anyone has something to recommend. My previous monitor was a 22" wide with 1680x1050 res.

If anyone know of a good wide 22" and up screen with dope colour and contrast/brightness for around £300 I'm all ears

Cheers

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i got one of these recently. Fantastic all round, including the price

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=331
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the Dell danr posted is a good one, it's the first 22" LCD I've heard of that uses an IPS panel and not a TN, which is a steal at that price...
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I've got a Samsung 226 BW

( [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SM226BW-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B000MRVBF4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239928611&sr=8-3[/ame] )

-Sorry for the amazon link, couldn't bother to search for a legit uk shop-

which is pretty awesome. For the money you can spend though, why don't you try for a 24 or 26 inch one? Or you can wait to get one of those 120hz samsungs that will be able to display in true 3d or whatever (with the glasses and everything).
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Dang, double posted for some reason. Must be the time, sorry XD
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Samsung 226BW at home and ordered a Dell 2208 last night. The 2208 has a better stand.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK just researched for a bit online, and at the moment the Dell 2209WA has the best panel in a 22". The Samsung 226B and C are nice, but use a middle of the road panel. I going to put in an order for mine now, hehe...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want a VA panel, as far as i know none exist in a 22" so better to look for a 20" or 24"(a 22" is really just a 20" with larger pixels anyway). If you're ok with a TN panel, i'de look into 24 inchers, benq makes a decent one that is cheap. Be careful with cheap dell screens, this didnt used to be the case, but now the cheaper ultrasharps use crappy TN panels(it used to be ultrasharp = quality VA panel).
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN wrote: »
    I've got a Samsung 226 BW

( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SM226BW-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B000MRVBF4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239928611&sr=8-3 )

-Sorry for the amazon link, couldn't bother to search for a legit uk shop-

which is pretty awesome. For the money you can spend though, why don't you try for a 24 or 26 inch one? Or you can wait to get one of those 120hz samsungs that will be able to display in true 3d or whatever (with the glasses and everything).

yup this is good, got one and haven been complainingclear.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's the whole reason the 2209WA rocks for a 22-incher...it uses an IPS which is actually a step above VA (what I think most Samsungs have).

IPS = best color accuracy and viewing angle
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive got 2 Samsung SyncMaster 226's that have been wonderful for the past 2 years. I saw the same ones on newegg a few days ago for around $200 us.

-N
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I got dell 3008wfp, it is lovely. :)

It was a guilty pleasure buying that (still paying for it as far as I recall..)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Hey folkes, thanks for all the suggestions, i will have to spend the lunchbreak to check out all the sites.

Im not sure i know what TN and VA stand for, but yeah, im probably going to try and get a 24" if i can for £300 but id rather have better colour representation than larger realestate
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    do NOT get a 226bw. there's three versions of it about and while the first was okay, the following two have just gotten shittier. i got stuck with the third version and sitting straight in front of it there's a very noticeable difference between the top and bottom half of the screen
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    danr wrote: »
    i got one of these recently. Fantastic all round, including the price

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=331

Dell in hell!!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Yeah that's the whole reason the 2209WA rocks for a 22-incher...it uses an IPS which is actually a step above VA (what I think most Samsungs have).

IPS = best color accuracy and viewing angle

Really? IPS you say? Interesting.

For anyone who is wondering:

TN = Fastest response, cheap, poor viewing angle, usually meant for consumer use/gaming
    M/PVA = Slower response, decent color, great viewing angles, used in a lot of tvs/mid-level graphics monitors
    IPS = Slowest response, best color, great viewing angles, usually your high-end graphics monitors, the $2000 NEC's and the like have IPS panels. Usually pretty hard to find an IPS panel under $1000.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    my samsung (I think) 2253BW 22" is a pos... the contrast is not consistent throughout the entire screen and depends a lot on view angle, the day after I bought this thing, dell had a sale on 24" 1080p monitors for the same price... colors are very washed out on this monitor and the brightness has to be cranked so high it hurts your eyes. I should've returned the samsung and went for the dell T_T
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome. That gives me a big boner, i wonder how they actually stack up against M/PVA panels tho, being a cheap IPS, not the real thing.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    sir-knight wrote: »
    my samsung (I think) 2253BW 22" is a pos... the contrast is not consistent throughout the entire screen and depends a lot on view angle, the day after I bought this thing, dell had a sale on 24" 1080p monitors for the same price... colors are very washed out on this monitor and the brightness has to be cranked so high it hurts your eyes. I should've returned the samsung and went for the dell T_T

206BW isn't much better. That and since the stand doesn't tilt or raise up, my eyes are about 3-4" above the top bezel and I have to look down at them, so theres some color distortion. Bleh. Plus I bought two of them. The backlight on one of them has a yellow cast to it, and the other blue. Arghhh!

None of the monitors I work on have the same colors or range. My IBM laptop has no color distortion no matter what angle you're looking at it from...but the colors aren't vibrant. The Samsungs at home are overly bright and washed out because of it (plus the backlight). The Dell at work, its dark greys have a slight brown tint. Its on an analog cable though. :poly127:
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Not wanting to start a new thread on the subject but definately wanted to double check before I fuck about again.

Just got a Samsung T240 and on having it one day I've already decided to return it - the fact it has no tilt and is actually tilted down slightly due to the build? is just terrible for the colours. Even when I lower my chair as far as it can go the bottom of the screen still seems overbright.

Problem is, I now dont want to go lower than 24" or 1080p so I think i've narrowed my choices to -

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149662

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149979

So if anyone has any experience with either of those i'd love to know which one to opt for, or just a recommendation in that bracket would be nice!
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I'll echo some of the comments about Samsung monitors. I've bouthgt a new SyncMaster T260 and there is a VERY annoying brightness gradient between the top and bottom of the screen. I've learned to compensate, but I really want to just get a new one.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    got a 7" b/w CRT here....no kidding. One Spectraview and his little brother. But I would buy a big 30" Dell instead of two 19" ones.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a benq g2400w, had it for a year and a half now. The one you've linked to looks like it's similar but with a 16:9 instead of 16:10 aspect ratio so I'll just give you some of my pro's and con's about my monitor.

First off, it's a good price for a 24" monitor. I got mine for around the £220-240 mark. They can get ridiculously expensive. The image quality is good for a TN, its not going to be up there with an IPS panel though. I did have a M/PVA panel for about a week before I got the benq and I have to say the viewing angle was the only difference I could see. I'm not a colour crazy perfectionist though lol.

It's got a small footprint. I've seen some 22" monitors my friends have that take up more space on their desk.

HDMI and VGA are nice to have too; I've had a 360 and PS3 plugged into it and they both looked stunning. They were also displayed in the correct aspect ratio, although with the benq you've linked to that wouldn't matter since it's already 16:9.

What I don't like is no height adjustable stand, tilt only. Also it has a really annoying benq splash screen every time you turn it on. It's only for a couple of seconds but every time you turn it on! That's actually all I don't like about it lol, I tried to think of more but couldn't.

Now all I want is one of these 7" usb monitors for my Photoshop and 3ds Max palettes and I'd be good to go lol 7" usb monitor
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I like the dell that's been posted quite a bit, and would recommend that as well. Got one a few months back and it's really nice. I have it as my main monitor with a dell 2001fp(S-IPS panel) as my 2nd monitor and the viewing angle+color reproduction seems to be very close. I'm hoping they come out with a 24" version in full HD.

It goes on sale every once in awhile from Dell, so if you time it right, you can find a really good deal.

Oops, old thread. :(
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers carlo, I'm definately in favor of a BenQ monitor at the moment... although painting is really important to me I do game as well and I cant really justify spending ~£400 on a Dell Ultrasharp or something like that at the moment. Maybe when ive got a job haha.

I've been reading a TON of reviews, people say that the Samsung 2232BW is a REALLY good value monitor but now that ive tasted 1920 1200 and 24" I dont really want to buy something that I will want to replace.

Im not looking at the 16:9 BenQ anymore, instead im looking at the v2400 which seems to be just as good and tbh, after using this Samsung without tilt, I think a tilt function alone will be ample to solve some of my viewing angle issues.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144039

- Now, depending on ebuyer refunding my t240 or not will be what decides whether or not I end up getting that. Hopefully they do, because no tilt on this monster just doesnt cut it for painting.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" TFT Monitor seems favorable, least to me.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    ACER 22" - This is my current monitor - 2 year guarantee http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=acer+22%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15457605879029856914&ei=dGRZSvDYKoTNjAek1Igb&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5#ps-sellers
    Never had problems with Acer but have with some other cheaper makes like LG, Samsung. Seriously consider a monitor that's capable of a high refresh rate to protect your vision and one that has a reliable pixel history.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recently got the dell 2408WFP, fucking amazingly good monitor. Got it on sale for about $120 cheaper as well($480 instead of $600). There is absolutely nothing bad you could say about this monitor, if you have the money and are looking for a quality 24" for art work, go get it! To me this actually seems better than the apple cinema displays that friends have have(tho most likely a few year old models), less backlight bleeding etc than those. I'm sure the newer apples are a bit better tho, but the price is wayyyy cheaper than apples. Maybe apple beats dell in color reproduction or something, by some meaningless fraction but i could care less, i'm not doing any print work so having perfect color reproduction isnt even an issue(the dell does have excellent color, just to be clear).

The samsung and Acer monitors above are both shity TN panels(poor color, view angles, etc) and not really suited for artwork.

Really pretty much any 24" monitor in the $200-400 range is going to be utter crap.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Dell 2407WFP. It's a good size to have. Very much recommended. Only drag is it doesn't have HDMI/HDCP.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    EQ, i've heard the old A0 versions of the 2408WFP had massive input lag. How do games look on it?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    pliang youve not been following have you :P

- EQ, as much as id like to get the dell 2408.... its just so bloody expensive, also as entity says ive heard of it having problems with ghosting and whatnot in games. And like i've said, I doubt any monitor can be as bad as the T240, a TN panel without a tilt is just silly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i haven't noticed any problems with input lag, im not one of those dudes that freaks out about 0.1ms or whatever tho either, but games run perfectly fine on it
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    pliang youve not been following have you :P

- EQ, as much as id like to get the dell 2408.... its just so bloody expensive, also as entity says ive heard of it having problems with ghosting and whatnot in games. And like i've said, I doubt any monitor can be as bad as the T240, a TN panel without a tilt is just silly.

Really if you cant afford the 24" dell i would look at a 20" inch dell(or other IPS/VA panel monitor) you should be able to get one of those in the $300 range?

As far as TN panels go, some people really dont care, it drives me nuts, so best thing to do is find one in the store if you're thinking about buying a TN. You're in luck tho, because all best buy and stores like that carry are TN panels.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit the bullet and ordered the 2408wfp a few days ago.

I came the moment I turned on the monitor. EQ's right, this thing is pure awesome :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Entity wrote: »
    ordered the 2408wfp a few days ago.

400 bones? Ouch. Wish I could afford a second monitor right now. Would certainly be nice.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $400 is cheap for the 2408wfp, i paid about $500 w/ tax for mine =) they retail at $600. Im working from home tho, so it makes sense to have quality hardware here.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought mine for 450 with extended warranty. Expensive, yes, but totally worth it.
  • Thegodzero
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    BTW does anyone carry the dell 2408WFP in store? Id love to check it out in person.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    i know a lot of people are talking the smack against Samsung and I could totally chime in, but they have excellent costumer service.
    No Joke, only two weeks ago, my monitor went AWOL, so had to call up their service department. In five minutes they UPS a new monitor to my home address. I had Called on a Monday, received it on a Thursday.

It was fucking brilliant.

Just throwing it out there.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know how the image quality is across the board for the Dell series, from the S2209W to the S2409W? All this IPA/VA/TN-jibberish is making me dizzy, and I'll happily settle for less inches as long as the image quality is there...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    rasmus wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the image quality is across the board for the Dell series, from the S2209W to the S2409W? All this IPA/VA/TN-jibberish is making me dizzy, and I'll happily settle for less inches as long as the image quality is there...
    I got my wife a monitor outside of the "WFP" series and quickly sent it back. She didn't care, but I did. The image quality and acceptable viewing angles were the issue.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too lazy to look if it was in here or on another site, but basically 20-23in = TN, and TN = Crap unless you never move your head while you work.

If the viewing angle isn't 178x178 or the refresh rate is faster than 6ms it's a TN.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, but in no ways a crap screen, then, except for people who need to... move their head alot while they work? :) I guess this could be an issue for when you wanna use it to play on your xbox etc, though, so what to do then, does one have to shell out for a 24" just to get good viewing angles?? Seems there's gotta be solid ones in the same range...

EDIT: nevermind, read the first page posts again :)
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    That's why the 2209wa was being recommended. :) I've seen it down near $200 when on sale which is a pretty good price for a non tn monitor.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    BTW does anyone carry the dell 2408WFP in store? Id love to check it out in person.

I've had trouble finding ANY non-TN panel monitors, regardless of brand in stores. That said, if you can afford it you wont be disapointed with a quality dell ultrasharp screen.
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Too lazy to look if it was in here or on another site, but basically 20-23in = TN, and TN = Crap unless you never move your head while you work.

If the viewing angle isn't 178x178 or the refresh rate is faster than 6ms it's a TN.

You can find 20" m/pva panels for sure, dell makes them. If the viewing angle is less than 176x176 its TN, they list at about 160x160 or 170x170 but are all closer to 45x45 than what they're listed at. =D
    rasmus wrote: »
    Ok, but in no ways a crap screen, then, except for people who need to... move their head alot while they work? :) I guess this could be an issue for when you wanna use it to play on your xbox etc, though, so what to do then, does one have to shell out for a 24" just to get good viewing angles?? Seems there's gotta be solid ones in the same range...

EDIT: nevermind, read the first page posts again :)

For doing art i find viewing angles very important, with a TN panel even slight movement of your head can result in drastic changes in color, brightness and contrast. Every TN i've used seems to have a constant gradient from top to bottom, no matter what angle you view it at, which can be troublesome for texturing, esp if you're working with anything dark/low contrast. When we talk viewing angles on TN panels we're not talking about looking at it from a 60 degree angle, we're talking about moving your head 1 inch to the side, or slouching just a bit and moving your head 1 inch low, i find even simple changes in posture produce a very noticable difference. People must think i'm nuts, but whenever i see a monitor in a store i bob up and down to check how terrible the view angles are, and since it seems stores only cary cheap-o TN panels i'm always disgusted with the results. =)

I think for most people a TN is fine, but i really notice it if its something i spend all day doing art on.

For anyone looking for a good 20", you can probably find the dell 2007wfp on the internet for a reasonable price. It seems the 2008wfp is actually a crap TN panel, so stay away. A good thing to do whenever considering a monitor is to google "model + tn" and you should get a bunch of posts telling you weather or not its a TN.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    A good thing to do whenever considering a monitor is to google "model + tn" and you should get a bunch of posts telling you weather or not its a TN.

or just keep this site open in a tab,
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

EQ, your not the only one who does the "owl exam" to monitor at stores. I do that all the time, until my wife sees me doing it and pulls me along. The TV's we have at work for testing on are literally THE worst for this problem. Your head needs to be literally dead center in front of it to even get basic color and contrast.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: Ah, that all just made sense to me - this crap behaviour you're talking about is exactly what my laptop is doing - I assumed no proper screen could ever be as bad, TN or not, but I guess I need to get out more :) Definitely not something I want to spend money on again.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its a limitation of the tech. Theres levels of bad, but even a good TN is still bad.