Home Technical Talk

Ut3 - Shadows through an Alpha Plane

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
I'm sure this is answered somewhere on the forums, but I can't find it, or with a google search. <-Fail. The shadows shining through a grate alpha plane are just looking like there isn't an alpha on the object at all. My material is set up as masked and everything. Help?

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    only works with realtime shadows, baked lighting just ignores your alphas :(.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Yea, its not doing any raytracing for that stuff. Try a light function if you want the shadow from the grate on the floor.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    oh i had this problem a while back while trying to get shadows from alpha plants to work properly. static meshes cant cast alpha shadows.

you have to make the object an InterpActor and tick enabled and CompositeDynamic shadows on in the light environment channels. and it should take the alpha into consideration.

instead of right clicking and going to add actor:static mesh go to add actor : interpActor.

hope these images explain.

UTShadows01.jpg

UTShadows02-1.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelmasher, i tried this. dont you have to set your light to cast composite shadows as well? if you do that, doesnt it make the light dynamic? it did for me anyway, and i couldnt get any shadow bakes out of it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Ah yea sorry you have to turn on composite in the lights lighting channel as well.

When ever Ive used them Its been in conjunction with a directional light (static and dynamic) simulating the sun so yes they are dynamic shadows not baked but they don't have the razor sharp edge or intense blackness of stencil shadows, I just find the results nicer.

as far as I know you will never get something with alpha to cast a proper shadow using only static lights, like Peris said. I dont know if thats a problem for you or not Cody, but let us know how you end up getting your desired result dude.
    cheers
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try it out and let you know.