Home Technical Talk

Unreal 3 Issues

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
im very confused as to whats going on here. i run most everything i play on my laptop, its not great for games but i can play most anything. any source game at full quality with in excess of 70 fp, bioshock at medium and many others. but i recently got UT3 and my computer ran the demo just fine on medium quality but, fails to run the game well at the lowest possible quality. i was wondering if anyone had any insight to what might be causing this

my specs are
AMD turion64x2 2.2 duel core
nvidia 7150m 128mb dedicated (almost 2 gigs shared)
4 gigs of ram
80 gig HD
windows vista

now i know my specs are pretty bad but, i thought it was weird that i could run the demo fine but not the game

Replies

• JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
    I had read about this on the Epic forums, as people have pretty much exact same problems as you. try this:
    Here are some options you might try:

Edit the UTEngine.ini which can be found in My DocumentsMyGamesUnreal Tournament 3UTGameConfig

For NVIDIA cards:
    [Engine.ISVHacks]
    UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True

...and then...

[Engine.ISVHacks]
    bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True
    PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

[SystemSettings]
    OnlyStreamInTextures=True

Let us know if that works.

Also, if you still have problems, try the other tweaks in my thread, listed in my sig below. In particular, read the opening post thoroughly, looking for the specific problems you are having, and the solutions found there, so far.

(To be clear, do NOT edit anything in Program FilesUnreal Tournament 3UTGameConfig)

then here is his tweaks thread you might want to try.

Hope that helps
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    im very confused as to whats going on here. i run most everything i play on my laptop, its not great for games but i can play most anything. any source game at full quality with in excess of 70 fp, bioshock at medium and many others. but i recently got UT3 and my computer ran the demo just fine on medium quality but, fails to run the game well at the lowest possible quality. i was wondering if anyone had any insight to what might be causing this

my specs are
    AMD turion64x2 2.2 duel core
    nvidia 7150m 128mb dedicated (almost 2 gigs shared)
    4 gigs of ram
    80 gig HD
    windows vista

now i know my specs are pretty bad but, i thought it was weird that i could run the demo fine but not the game

Did you get the 2.0 patch I believe that most of the issue you are running into are addressed in that patch.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes its up to date its through steam, they had it for 10 bucks so
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    yes its up to date its through steam, they had it for 10 bucks so

So what...you kind of left it hanging there.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    use these drivers http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ i use them on my lappy
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cant change my drivers ive tryd but hp has them locked
    i can play the game now, but nowhere near what i was able to do with the demo.
    with the demo i was able to play 800x600 on all medium, but now it struggles at 320x280 with everything at its lowest.
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    cant change my drivers ive tryd but hp has them locked

:) sounds like you need to get some fule and a match.Honestly they cant be locked,I needed a tweeked .inf file if i remember correctly to install nvidia drivers on my Fujitsu seimens with a Gf6800.The defult nvidia drivers didnt work on my laptop so i needed to find a tweeked installationfile for a Geforce 6800go

I would look for a laptop forum and ask what to do if you dont find it yourself
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried what you said, computer crashed windows fixed the problem on startup though. was able to download some new beta drivers witch now have gforce go support they worked but theres no difference in UT3, some other games run a tad bit better though. a noticeable difference in photoshop when working with very large documents as well.

oh btw wrong hard drive mine is 250 gig not 80 gig

i have another question though. I have the hard drive from my old laptop if i can find the drivers for the stuff in my comp with xp could i just pop it in and run xp, i would like to compare how well in runs in xp vs. vista.