Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - ChaosEidolon

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
*Update*

A sorta-ortho...things dont match up nice yet, but im getting closer...i think.

motion.jpg

render1.jpg

*old*

Shit...things have heated up since earlier today. I better stake my claim before the landrush is over.

No scanner...had to improvise. <3 highpass over shitty camshots.

dw4_rough_devourer.jpg

Replies

• Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! The arm could use some more interesting curves maybe
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good. The right arm or whatever it is, looks like giant penis :)

Good luck to you!
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking this so far, I think you could push the face more though.
  • Deto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome concept so far! I really like the look of the face and limbs, but the midbody is somewhat weak, not necessarily by design, but physically weak looking compared to limbs forexample. I'd bulk it up a little bit or give similiar 'plated' feel to it too
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Just to clarify this is a side ortho, so the arm is cut off to show the body, the thing in the back is a flange/vestigal wing or some kind.

I'll post a better view and some other concepts tonight. Thanks for looking!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More bugs...no winners yet i dont think. It seems like this cool thing to do this year is thumbnail with alchemy, so maybe ill give that a shot next.

dev1.jpg
    dev2.jpg
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...can't...stop... Im making myself go to bed...right now

transient1.jpg

shrimp in 4000AD

...ok NOW im going to bed.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bed?
    but why? lol

im liking all the things ur comming with.
    no faves just yet, but the 2 u posted 2 posts above look like they'd look neat if spliced in some way or another. perhaps a chest/lower body merger?
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Great lines and details on the sketches so far. I personally like the one with the tail and no legs.. the one right before the last one.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indianboy you clever bastard...it totally works...i giving me some ideas but no time now

devmix.jpg

Hey, thanks Helixx!

Im still waiting for lightning to strike for me...i need to explore a little more.

Oh yeah and i lied about bed...
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Looking really cool man, what class do you think it would be? Demon princess perhaps?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I think transient1.jpg is the one personally. All it needs is some small clever details to make it ascend where it's at. Eggs under its tail, etc.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    I think transient1.jpg is the one personally. All it needs is some small clever details to make it ascend where it's at. Eggs under its tail, etc.

yeah i'm diggin that one too at a pavlovian level. Not really sure what about it though...
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *bump* check top o da page for the update!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wow, thats a great design. looking to see your progress on the model
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, i have to say i'm somewhat disappointed you didn't go further with the 4 legs route. in the end it's your call but I think it's more interesting than the 2 legs and a tail.
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the bug type
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I think you should go for the female looking one, its not easy to get something this alein looking female and that will really help the originality of your enty. Just my 2c
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonights work...asymmetry and weapon fleshing out. Starting to get ready to fine tune...i think im set with the general direction. Ignore the wings...just playin. I want something there, but wings are sooooo clichee! tsk

transientweps.jpg

ericdigital, notebookguy, coldkodiak,bounchfx: Thanks guys

killingpeople: thanks, yeah it needed something to set it apart. hopefully im getting here.
    Kamui: I liked the 4 legs, yeah, but I really want this to be a main character in feel. The 4 legs make it feel too animal to me.
    Xaltar: Which one did you mean? hopefully the one I chose lol!
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Looking good since I checked last. I like the weapon although it could use some more spikey bits or something on the back end.. lots of handle, not enough blade. As for the wing idea, you could exagerate the head details to take up more space if you want to fill that part of the silhouette. Could also do something crazy with his shoulders. Anyway, keep it up it's lookin' hot.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dance.jpg

Getting an idea of articulation, making sure joints work, and thinking about a more elegant weapon to match the personality better
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Nice sketch :) what class are you goin for? thought of a story yet?
  • Sir Gimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Gimp polycounter lvl 17
    I really dig this one. Looks very alien and different in that tyranid like way. Nice take :)
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    really cool creature designs, maybe try out some contrasting clothing/armour?
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More studies to get the range of the char down, make sure i know how it's supposed to move. His articulation is a little weird so i wanna make sure i get this stuff problem figured out before I try and pose him and realize he's gimped.

motion.jpg

And my basemesh so far. Not much to look at, just to show I haven't been slackin!

render1.jpg

Kamui: Hey thanks. The story is germinating still, but ill share that it/he/she is an ancient moon guardian, the only one of it's kind. It is capable of slipping through rents in space-time, ensuring that it is never late to the fight, and nearly impossible to catch flatfooted. It's has been off in the far outer reaches of the universe, tending to unknown threats, but the imminent demonic infestation has drawn it to the known universe, ready to join the fight with the other Norms that were never even aware of it's existence.

Sir Gimp: Yeah...it probably didn't help that I watched Aliens the night before the war started, and had been playing tyranids in DoW2 a ton leading up to that. I am admittedly a bug alien whore...it's true. Thanks!

kite: Thanks man. The clothing thing has been right up front on my mind. I agree that it needs it...otherwise it just looks like a critter. Been tinkering around with it but still need to come up with something that works.

Would actually love some suggestions on gear if anyone has em.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome, I really like those shapes, and the cloth is working very nicely with it. It might be tough to add gear that doesn't look out of place, some very alien looking, ancient armor could be sweet though. He's definitely got enough places to hang stuff from :)
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refine the blue image and model that it looks best to me!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    where's the update dude. i need more.

my favorite design was dev2.jpg - i think it had a lot more going for it
  • BlackNull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the design, the silhouette has those nice clean cuts, with a cool porous/melted organic feel, I like!

cheers,

pierre
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for looking guys!

Jaco: Thanks man. Yeah you're right about the gear...ive been messing around but its hard to find something that suits him.
    notebookguy: Will do, thanks!
    Secataurs: Update comin right up! I liked the other one too, but I really wanted a monster with joints and movement so that I could do an interesting pose. She was a little too floaty for me.
    BlackNull: Much appreciated man. I hope i can pull the details off to look rhythmic and organic, and not too melty and messy. It's always a challenge for me with stuff like that to keep the larger order in mind while working on the details.

Took a little hiatus, so this weekend i need to make up for lost time. I need some advice...

I was having trouble making his face a very strong element without any kind of real feature so i tried a mouth. A little too blatantly alien inspired or could this work ya guys think?

face_progress01.jpg

full_progress01.jpg

The hands a still a little mushy. need to push the bone and tendon motif on them some more.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Very cool design!
    Is that mesh spliitet up in parts? I think more connection between them would be nice. I also expected more mass from looking at the concept, particularly the feet and upperlegs.

Dont know about the face, looks a bit alien. Maybe just experiment with a front view face concept, im sure you can pull of something unique. I really like the whole idea of these muscle strings, maybe you can incorporate them also more in the face.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Chaos, good start on this one and I like alot of the design elements in your sketch. The big hands are bothering me a bit, as I think it pulls to much from the interesting head and chest. I look forward to the next post!

Spark
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how's the modeling going?
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidson3d: Thanks! Yeah, i have him all segmented up...which helps organize things, but yeah im kind of regretting it because the joins aren't easy to paint this way. I might make envelope mesh and project the details down and keeping going from there.
    You're right about the legs too, made em too thin and the smooth knocked em down more. I bulked them up, so hope it helps. I think im going to try to stay away from the alien face. It was kind of a copout because the mouthless face is harder to do well...but I decided to stop being lazy and resolve it properly.

Spark: Thank man. I agree the hands do look a little cartoony big...ive played with them a bit, and bulked up the rest so that it plays better together.

notebookguy: Goooood! but my brain is fried...too much i wanna fix right now and not enough perspective so i think it's time to take a step back and get a fresh eye.

Here's the update for today. Lots of work on proportions n stuff, trying to get everything well balanced before going deeper into the detail stuff.

proportions.jpg