Home Technical Talk

A couple of questions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
nmlsamp.jpg

One question is how do you create a circular tile texture like the one pic on the left? Is there some photoshop technique to create that?

The other question how in the world can you create individual brick height maps from the diffuse brick map like the pics on the right? Do you have you paint all those bricks one at a time or what?

Thanks

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I created an arced texture the other day by mapping a square texture onto an arc in max and rendering it -that was for text for a logo for the back of a jacket.

I suspect you'd get a lot of milage from the Polar co-ordinates filter in Photoshop.

You'll notice that most of the bricks are an orange brown with light cement, so you could get most of the way with an inverted grayscale version of the bricks.

A wee bit of level adjustment, maybe multiplaying the bricks with themselves before hand should sort you out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The polar coordinates idea Rick suggested is a good one, but you'll probably want to run it on a larger version of your brick that is 4x4. I don't mean scale your bricks up 4x but tile it 4x4 then run polar coordinates on it. It stretches and the outer edges and swishes the center horribly, but to get something that's usable you have to shoot big and take whats in the middle.

You could also probably get a good start to decent height map using CrazyBump. I think Xnormal might even have something that spits out heightmaps from bitmaps.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Ah I knew the polar coordinates would play into that tiling somehow. Thanks guys