Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Satellite Computer Case

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
Here is another model I'm building now. The concept is from Paul Richards, awesome guy. His site: www.autodestruct.com (if you don't know him you need to!)

Reference:

quake4_console7.jpg

Renders:

progressRender.jpg

progressRender02.jpg

I'll switch these out with completed ones in a few days. Just wanted to see if I'm on the right track.

So far, I am thinking the phone is too little, I'm already planning on making more room for it.

***Update***

Finished with a reflection, and a self illumination for the screen, along with your standard normal diffuse and spec.

04computer_renders.jpg
05computer_normals.jpg
06computer_diffuse.jpg
07computer_spec.jpg
lowpolycount.jpg

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Gotta agree with you on the phone seeming small. Looks like you added a bunch of space between the keys on the keyboard and the phone, thus making it thinner. I would bring that back closer to the concept. There's a bunch of little small details you can add to this thing from the concept that I know you probably haven't gotten to yet. This is a great start though! :thumbup:
    I would think about expanding upon the concept and adding a bunch of usb ports somewhere near the keyboard maybe? I see there's a few ports above the phone. The card reader slot on the right of the keyboard looks less pronounced than it should be..... mmmmmmmmmm.... yeah man, it is looking great! It would be cool to animate this thing opening up!
  • Bobbeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh polycounter lvl 10
    This isn't really doing it for me so far. =/

I think you've deviated from the concept a little too much (mostly with the keyboard/phone area). To me its lost most of the compact feel it has in the concept. Also, your model is pretty hard edged (the phone, the corners of the case, the rectangle indention's on the outside of the case) whereas these areas are more bubbly and more round in the concept.

I'll leave the rest of the comments out as I think they are a side effect of what I mentioned above.

I agree with Firebert though, animation of it opening would be pretty epic. The little radar dish can scan around after it opens haha that would be good.

Anyway, fix it. >:]
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh wrote: »
    Also, your model is pretty hard edged (the phone, the corners of the case, the rectangle indention's on the outside of the case) whereas these areas are more bubbly and more round in the concept.

Yeah I definitely need to go in and remove some loops, they got kinda crazy as I was adding details, when I started out the edges where a lot smoother and the corners weren't as sharp. I'll go back and try and smooth things out again.

Thanks for the crit!
  • art911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the other posters covered the minor stuff already, but all in all its looking really good. Be sure to update when its done.

btw... I'd also love to see it animated.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok heres more progress, all the main pieces are completed and now I just want to mess with it some more. I need to fix the edges and make the handle. Soo yeah this is what I got so far.

progressrenderB01.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking a lot closer to the concept now! I really like it! I don't like the touchpad/mousepad. Just doesn't fit on equipment like this IMO. I think there would be more text/code input. I dunno. I say stick strictly to the concept for the modeling but make it your own on texturing. There's more leeway out of the concept for texture work I think.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    While it does take some visual cues from the concept, it doesn't look anything like the concept in regards to style. You appear to have left out the subtleties or miss-proportioned most of the major elements that makes the concept zing.

maybe try making some plan views before you model?
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah right now I just wanted to get the pieces modeled out, then I will go back and mess with it as much as I can to make it perfect. I don't like a few things about it and the way its modeled is also proving to make things a bit more complicated. Its not done yet and believe me when I am done I will try and have it as close to perfection as possible.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okk heres some more changes

progressrenderC01.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See these notes i made on the concept drawing and compare it to your last update. Like i said before, you are getting closer than before, but there's these little details you are overlooking and also some details you are adding in that are not in the concept. Hopefully these make sense. A few biggies I wanna point out....

1) Notice the angle of the corners. You are pretty close on the bevel, but I think it still needs to be a little smoother, but on the top right corner of the case on the concept... look how the degree of the angle. Also, right below that on the concept, i wrote in yellow "FLAT"... you've added in a recessed section that shouldn't be there.

2) Look at how smoothed off the clasps are on the concept and how rigid yours are on the model, particularly the ones on the base/keyboard side of the case.

3) The hinge is divided up into sections, not one liner piece all the way across.

4) Little pieces like the flip out screen, you've added in indentions on the right side and overlooked the detail in the top right corner.

There's more on there that I've scribbled, and I am sure you can make sense of the rest of it. There's also a bunch of little details you need to add in. It may just be the shader you are presenting your WIP images in, but run over this thing with a fine tooth comb until you know it like the back of your hand. You're getting really close to wrapping this up, just dial in those fine points and you'll be on your way to caging this bad boy out!

quake4_console7.jpg
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished product!

04computer_renders.jpg