Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Assualt Rifle

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
timwiese polycounter lvl 9
Here is a weapon I have been working on for almost 2 weeks now, I'm tweaking the textures and details at this point. I want is to have a somewhat used look. At this point I'm most concerned with the textures and what I can do to make them really shine. Specifically the spec map.
Currently the spec map is pretty noisy. It wasn't giving me the results I wanted when it was flatter with just the edges highlighted for the most part.

Keep in mind too that this is designed as a 3rd person view weapon.

The weapon is going into UT3 as part of a mod so the blue parts will be glowing.

3ds Max Render
3320537654_14168116ab_o.jpg

Diffuse Map
3320201591_daff119982_o.jpg

Spec Map

3320201609_7fc3412da5_o.jpg

Normal Map
3320201605_3989523595_o.jpg

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    timwiese wrote: »

The weapon is going into UT3 so the blue parts will be glowing.

Naturally :)

Nice rifle! Spec needs work though.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    HOLY WASTED TEXTURE SPACE BATMAN!!!!

Seriously that unwrap needs some rework. You are missing out on a huge amount of texture res.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet design man! This is a cool gun.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the comments!

I will fix up the UV's. Just have to re-project the textures after I fix them up.

here is a screengrab from UT3, I opted for a cleaner look with the rifle.

3321308311_9fb4e9d48e_o.jpg
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm about done with this.

I realized I spelled "bullpup" wrong after the fact. but its going unnoticable in 3rd person.

RenderFinal3.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    its a good model, but the diffuse texture looks a bit flat and colourless.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like I'm always posting the same thing...I feel like a robot.

First off, some stuff that is really nice; I dig the heat shield over the barrel. The grenade launcher and overall shape of the scope/"digital sights" is cool too.

For the simple stuff, I think the rifle overall is a bit thin. I'm not sure what's going on with the back of the scope-ish area, is that going to be a glass lens or a screen? It looks something like a long red-dot type sight so maybe mixing a bit of that + a small screen for ammo or barrel temperature or something like that would be cool (since you said it's 3rd person you wouldn't really have to define that so much as have the screen and some data on it).

The glowy bits are nice too, but some detail to them would be nice. Imagine the glow is emanating from a light, is it an LED? Some kind of glass shield to diffuse the light with some grime around the inside ring would be nice, something to interrupt the perfect blue light. Might not be that noticeable in 3rd person though...

Something more serious though is that the barrel doesn't line up with the magazine, there's no ejection port (firing standard bullets?) or method to arm the weapon/chamber a fresh round. Yes we've had the form vs function debate to death, but looking at this from another perspective, think about whoever has to animate this. It's gonna look very boring if they have nothing to animate for a reload/rearm cycle. The barrel lining up isn't so important for this...it's just something that bothers me design wise.

The textures look like a good base, though they're a bit bland. The scratches and highlights get very strong in the more recent renders, I think they actually looked best in renderfinal1.jpg
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not firing standard bullets. The front end is actually a rail system (got the idea from MGS4, crying wolf's Rail Gun), and the rounds are powered by some magnetic future tech. The bullets are shell-less so there is no waste (besides the bullet fired). Lots of the firing system has to do with magnets (ones that are not attracted to typical metal but the material that the bullets are made out of) that power the bullets out of the gun. It might not all make sense, but I am willing to have some things that aren't currently plausible in order to sell the future tech idea.

heres how the barrel/rail looks
    3323627101_6e58bd6e9e_o.jpg

The scope is a video screen of what is in front of it with a crosshair over the video, also with random ammo counter and things. I need to figure out what it is going to take to get something like that to work in UT3 so I left it blank until I get it in game.

as for animations there will be a kind of electricity type effect on the end of the barrel when fired/firing, Plus the long blue light on the side will change color as your ammo is depleted, as secondary visual cue for ammo amount. mechanically the only real moving parts are the triggers, nothing else moves on the gun.

I think you may have the renders order screwed up a bit I toned down all the scratches in the recent renders. I am also working on getting some more variation and color in the metal and plastic since it looks a bit colorless at the moment.

thanks for the comment!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I included scratches because I was just lobbing together all of the areas that are going to white/getting blown out. I actually liked the original amount of scratches, they were just too strong in terms of strength of the specular reflection.

The type of gun you're describing is called a Coilgun or a RailGun. A series of magnets along the barrel propel the projectile (bullet in this case) in increasingly faster speeds until leaving the barrel. I've always liked the mechanics of a railgun. That gives some nice validity to that large semi-sphere in front of the magazine too, like a cover for spinning electrical coils building a charge for the electromagnets.

Even if you're using a caseless ammunition for thisthough you will still need a way to chamber the first round. Even though you could say that it's being done mechanically inside the gun that would be both missing an opportunity for more animation detail and a bit of a safety concern (if you were to pretend it was a real weapon). Without a way to manually arm and load the weapon you could easily accidentally discharge munitions any time a magazine was loaded.

Plus what would happen if the weapon jammed? You would have no way to manually discharge, reload, or force out the jammed round. Just some fun stuff to think about to give reason for extra details.

On another note that sideview shows off how cool the split barrel is, I didn't even notice in the other shots. It would be cool if you extended/exaggerated it so it was more visible in 3rd person. You also might want to add a trigger for that grenade launcher...Or remove the trigger guard if it's a flashlight or battery pack or something.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RenderFinal1.jpg
    RenderFinal2.jpg
    another update, added more color variation. and wear to the plastic
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    the dark parts should be darker, they're too light and makes it look a bit like a toy.
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd also break up the monochromatic color of the gun metal. It's kind of a flat grey-silver. I'd add some subtle color variation or maybe an overlay of a different type of metal to give it some depth.