Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Security Console-Critique

ridley075
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ridley075 polycounter lvl 10
This object is a security console damaged and worn. I'm just looking for an overall critique of it to hopefully nail it down perfect. Some renders were done in Unreal Editor 3, but most in 3DS Max 2008. Let me know what you think, good or bad. It'll help alot. Thanks for the aid.
Brahmsteadt_Shaun_Project1_01.jpg

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think the texture is letting it down. It looks a little Quake II but with a Quake IV polycount.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the colors are bad and not very creative. The rusty texture looks like the ones that wer already used so often + it does not fit on a console even if there is rust. Imo the rust texture has to much noise and there are no clean or modest places - its kind of agressive everywhere.

Red and turquoise glow colors are overused in US games I always think that those colors are coder`s color choises because often those values are easy to remember as RGB or Hex values.

There is some poly waste at the bottom - you could archive 90% the same shape with a lot less faces.

The design is random and the different shape types dont fit very well- there is no overal design (like a flow in the shape definition or a design philosophy). I think its quite uninspired- maybe studying some commmon similar technologies, objects or designs of others would have helped putting together a stronger design.
  • WeaZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a good start... needs more detail though on the metal. More screws and bolts, think of how its assemble, i can't just be flat rusty metal. I like the screens a lot though very nice.
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update, changed the color scheme and the metal texture. Also got rid of some grunge. Let me know what you think. Thanks for all the advice some previous posts. Still needs lots of work! :)
    render_01.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Still too much just random rust & grunge. The design doesn't make any sense. You've got these angled lines in some parts...and then a square boxy riveted on panel? That looks like its from 1942 on a supposedly futuristic hand-scanner panel.

If its meant to read my palm, why is there a screen at knee/groin level saying "error"? also the 2 LED lights? Put these up where it might make some sense.

Make the wear appropriate. You've got a good scuff on there. That's a decent start, but it's too clear & defined. There needs to be more of them and smaller to indicate more than 1 person has once bumped this thing with his/her shoes. Why all the lights on the bottom? So you can see if your shoes are untied? So your groin can see the "error" screen better?

I think you've got the skills required to make something nice, you just need to find a really nice piece of concept art at follow it to a T.
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. I think I need to rethink the entire concept for it. I'll take me a while, but I'll try and get back to you guys with a new one. I posted another object I did in another post. Let me know what you think about that one. Thanks again.