Home Technical Talk

a little help with 3ds Max please

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
maya user trying to convert to max and having some questions. . .

is Metalbump9 able to display 2 sided mode? if so, where can i set this?

-also, for example, when i am in face selection mode and i'm selecting faces on one side then rotating the object to select faces on another side - i end up unselecting the faces in the back which is really really annoying. how can i change that?

thats all for now. . . i'm sure i'll find some more questions soon!

Replies

• Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    selecting faces: I find that the option "ignore backfacing" is kinda sketchy so what I do is rotate the model in wireframe mode making sure that the location of my pointer has no faces behind the one im selecting . i found it rarely impossible to come across a time when this was not possible. "what about when its the last face" -> select all.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh, i was under the impression that ignore backfacing was only for when u do a drag selection. . .i'll check it out
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think the metalbump shader will show 2sided mats, but I could be wrong. I use FX shaders in the viewport now, so I'm not all that familiar with metalbump.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderFX or something else?
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, more lame questions:

so ignore backfacing works when selecting components - how can I set this when selecting objects in the scene??

also I find this a little weird:
    for example when you are moving something with the move gizmo in the perspective view and you want to move in the left view port. The gizmo in the left viewport is pointing to the left but when u click on it - it flips pointing to the right. Then it does this again as I try to use the gizmo in the persp. view.
    Can anyone explain this to me?
    thanks!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck wrote: »
    ok, more lame questions:

so ignore backfacing works when selecting components - how can I set this when selecting objects in the scene??
    As far as I know, there isn't a way to ignore objects that are behind other objects...
    breakneck wrote: »
    also I find this a little weird:
    for example when you are moving something with the move gizmo in the perspective view and you want to move in the left view port. The gizmo in the left viewport is pointing to the left but when u click on it - it flips pointing to the right. Then it does this again as I try to use the gizmo in the persp. view.
    Can anyone explain this to me?
    thanks!
    You probably set your gizmo to Screen or view? Set it "World" and it will remain constant to the world axis.
    Spinner.jpg
    This is one area 3dsmax is kind of confusing but once you figure out its pivot system it quickly becomes invaluable like the "modifier stack" as opposed to the "history stack". Gotta love working and local pivot. Maya's starting to catch up, but I miss them both every time I go back to Maya.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Vig: bummer bout that select object mode

u were right about the gizmo - i was on View mode.
    yea, i enjoy working with maya, but max really excels at many of the things that I need to do.