Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Claymore Mine critique

Hey, I started this mid-way last week and just got done with it. I need some feedback on it before I can put it up on my portfolio. I spent the last month or so) going through every tutorial on this site and linked from it. I hope I'm going in the right direction.

Texture size is 1024x1024. My friend says I should make it smaller, but I want it to be held by a character in first-person view. Do you think the size is fine?

claymorerender1.png
claymorerender2.png
claymorerender3.png

Replies

• ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    your base metal texture needs some color variation, pure greyscale makes it look very boring.

Also you poly distribution could use some work, it's very dense in some of the cylinders compared to the bulk of the model, but that is debatable and more of a personal preference.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Also, your base metal texture should be. . . plastic. Claymores are disposable, and the shells are plastic. They're also a bit more rounded and curvy in places:

769px-M18_Claymore_Mine.jpg
    claymore-thumb.jpg
    US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

It's also a bit thinner (front to back) than yours. You've got a good start, but gather some reference and keep going.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Painting smiley faces on high explosives is generally frowned upon in the modern military. If this is from the Vietnam era it might work how you have it, but if its supposed to be more modern you might consider removing that part.

Also, never ever hold the blasting cap with your teeth.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mm, the texturing really needs help.

first of all, as tumerboy said already, theyre plastic.
    but even if they were metal, id ditch the neon green you have there. thats like a giant red flag (errr green flag) for the enemy saying "hey look at me!". and your scratches are really random.

youre heading in the right direction by having scratches at corners and edges and stuff but i think you overdid it. dont do it at EVERY edge... it seems very mechanical now.

which brings me to the model. its very flat, even though its 3d. its pretty much a box with minor details on it. a real claymore is not a box, it has subtle curves that define it. it doesnt have sharp edges like yours. (unless its a sword :) )