Home Technical Talk

[3dsmax] Snap on grid works weird in Edit UV window

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Minos polycounter lvl 16
Hello polycounters :)

I'm working on models with very low specs and getting a hard time generating efficient UV maps because I can't really get snap on grid to work properly on edit UV window.

The problem is that edges always average when they are not really aligned to the grid, and that becomes a huge problem when you output tiny textures (like 64x64 or so). Aligning them by hand is very time consuming and annoying.

Has anyone good tips or a workaround on this?

Thanks in advance =)

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, grid snap doesn't work like that in Max.

take a look around for MoP's tools. He's got some max scripts that helped me out a ton with that.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is the problem? Works for me. Is your grid spacing set properly?
    1/64=0.015625
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Grid Snap should work, but I have had troubles with it in the UV Texture Editor in older versions of Maya.

Another way could be using the UV Texture Editor > Image > Pixel Snap? You would have to use a dummy texture with the right resolution if you are laying out the UV before you have painted the texture. I haven't tried this, but in my mind it works fine. ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixel snap's the answer! I never use grid snap in the uvw editor. It's almost entirely useless for me and (especially on lower spec stuff) pixel snap just works a lot nicer.
    It's the icon with a p on it when you hold down on the grid snap icon.

edit: like Kodde mentioned, you'll need to actually use a texture with it. If you use a procedural checker-map to uv, that won't work.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    ahh thanks kodde and mightypea, that worked like a charm :D

/me pets~