Home General Discussion

The lara croft polycount.black banner

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
duno which forum to put this in but I think the way you presented that lara croft banner is horrible :(

For those who havent seen it yet;

lara.jpg

fix!

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I thought it looked weird too.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure the horiz format works well for characters... We might want to contact artists who are about to have art added to the banner and have them do an image specifically for that format, instead of butchering whatever they posted in P&P to "fit".
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's probably the best idea.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    needs more tits
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    onlything missing is ass :P
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Her head doesn't fit, so it's pasted next to her body instead... with shitloads of empty space next to it.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    looks fine to me.. need to zoom in on her burritos a bit more
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    yes... contact the artist so we can put her ass in the empty space :D

;)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yes i thought so too. you have to figure out a more creative way to approach the horizonal composition. almost all banners can be improved but vahl's, shepiro's and ror's work best. why don't you let qube do it?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this too and I thought it would have been better just to have the smaller, FULL, character. Even if it cuts off her feet. I think there were several images/poses in the original thread.

Right now it looks like a headless set of tits is about to shoot Laura's head ;)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    maybe this is why other forums just have a row of 5-6 featured thread pics. really the banner is only good for close ups and environments.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    maybe if she was laying down on her back it would be better. :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    eh, i think it's fine how it is
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Her head fell off and she is shooting at it, right?

Seriously though, I am not that picky; but it could certainly be better.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Some cg forums also rotate characters banner art 90 degrees to make it fit. Its kinda neat!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior, what is this strange "ro-tat-e" tool you talk about? You should submit that idea to Adobe. I'm sure they would include it in PhotoShop, I bet everyone would use it!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    ha ha alexk!!!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    alexk - exactly what i was thinking, except zoom in more on the boobs and butt.

also, get rid of her head.

actually, maybe make her head come in sideways right above polycount. that'd be spiffy.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    it probably goes without saying, but I thought the exact same at the thread poster when i saw it.

solution: left side of the image, tits. right side, ass. it's polycount defined.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, I think these were just thrown in for functionality not the final design....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I'm not sure the horiz format works well for characters... We might want to contact artists who are about to have art added to the banner and have them do an image specifically for that format, instead of butchering whatever they posted in P&P to "fit".

Honestly this is the best solution i think, that way the person who made the work has exact control over what is being shown. If they aren't interested in doing something, we can whip it up for them instead, but it should be they're choice.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I think this whole thing is becoming more of a hassle then a fun thing :D Thanks for all your hard work guys. I don't care how my work is shown up there, I'll be happy just to see it get up there. :D
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    maybe if she was laying down on her back it would be better. :)

back arched and but up.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, being contacted is something we've done. It was never suggested on my end, though, to send it something custom. It was late when I updated the headers, oof. Lots of great art posted recently, good job everyone :)

I've contacted Ancient and will remove the image until I can get something more suitable from him.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    great im sure that gives everyone time to PM ancient_pig their requests
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    onlything missing is ass :P

Amen.

Not but really... that's what those games have turned into... amazing wet skin/clothing graphics and tits that make you wonder if she has back problems.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    Not but really... that's what those games have turned into... amazing wet skin/clothing graphics and tits that make you wonder if she has back problems.

Actually this is innacurate. That is what they USED to be (minus the nice shader work of course). Her cup size has decreased; she is quite big, but I see girls everyday that are her size. Underworld is actually a very damn good game, and the last thing it is about is her breasts.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well Lara Croft's life style doesn't suggest that she should look that way. Shouldn't she be more of a flat chested lass, with probably larger arm muscles and at least a little definition? Lara Croft as she is now looks more like an American high school teen came up with her design.

Now I'm not mocking Ancient Pig at all, I think he did great with what he had to work with on this. The fact it’s a Wii model is even better, there are far to many modelers for Wii titles who think its a PS2. But to me at least, Tomb Raider really looks awful, from a design point of view. It’s just all over the place... I'm not gonna turn this into a graphics/design discussion, this isnt the thread, but I do think that the "cartoon" characters look totally awful and that they really need to hire a new design team, esp. when you contrast them against the highly detailed surroundings in the new game. Maybe if they dropped the whole design, and just made it much more like Uncharted in narrative, action and exploration, it would work better.

As for the banner, you just can’t get a standing up pose of a single character to fit well. Maybe if she was jumping backwards in the air, legs in front, firing in the wind, that kind of pose we have seen Lara do before, then she would fit more? But that suggests that artists are doing to rig something up just for a banner, and I feel that may be a bit too much to ask?
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually this is innacurate. That is what they USED to be (minus the nice shader work of course). Her cup size has decreased; she is quite big, but I see girls everyday that are her size. Underworld is actually a very damn good game, and the last thing it is about is her breasts.

I stand corrected. But like Odium said... she should be flat chested in real life. But seriously... they would never make it that way. Big tits is the way to go.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Tomb Raider Legends, Anniversary, and Underworld are great games. Much better than the ones before it. I love what they've done with Lara. She has more character, and less sex doll proportions. A discussion about her proportions versus real life is just lame. Men don't walk around with every over-sized muscle in their body constantly flexed (except Brome)...but no one is complaining. Game visuals are all about exaggeration.

I'm sad to hear Underworld has done so poorly in sales, causing problems for the developer. My only reason for not helping those sales is, I just haven't bought it YET. I'm still trying to finish the others. I don't care to play Uncharted.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Underworld did poorly because Eidos are turning into Sega. They have a little blur hedghog and they have no clue what the real fans, hell, the PAYING fans, want.

What needs to be done? Well this is me thinking out loud here, but do get Tomb Raider on track, they need to go back to what it used to be... Indy with tits. Destroy the engine, totally, its balls. Give the game some awesome scope and scale, give me 80% adventure and puzzle solving, in some nice original ways, and 20% combat, but give me some awesome combat. Uncharted was perfect with this, a grat cover system, awesome shooting control etc. Just copy that style as close as possible. Get rid of a billion characters and focus on a few, flesh those out. Give Lara some actual new moves, but make her flexable. Make the world her playground, let her shoot down cover (Shes in ruins after all), and most importantly, sack the designers who think this cartoon style works, and go with a more realistic style, even if you have to photosource Angelina's tits to do it.

In short, Tomb Raider is an adventure game with pretty much zero adventure. I want the all Indy with tits game back, regardless of the size of her rack...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You want them to do exactly what was done before...which was terrible. And the reason the series was restarted. It's less cartoon than it has even been. And the engine renders beautiful environments. Have you played the games at all? Maybe the name's reputation hasn't recovered from Angel of Darkness. You want the tits back, but their size is your major complaint about a great adventure game series. Sounds like you're confused.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like you are confused mate, having not read my post at all. Where did I say i wanted the tits back? "Indy with tits" means "A female Indy", nothing more.

As for doing what they did before... Tell me when Tomb Raider lost its cartoony look, because the latest games are a mix of cartoon and realistic visual styles which clash, badly. I know I'm not alone on that one at least. Name me one Tomb Raider game that actually had 80% exploration and I'll let you win this one.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    seems that some polycount users are lately on "whiny bitchy derailing mode"...must be PMS...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    odium wrote: »
    Well Lara Croft's life style doesn't suggest that she should look that way. Shouldn't she be more of a flat chested lass, with probably larger arm muscles and at least a little definition? Lara Croft as she is now looks more like an American high school teen came up with her design.

Yes, because lightly stylized anatomy is the mark of children at work.

It's not like she's even that far from what a real, athletic woman could look like. Chest size is a little bit off and arms are maybe an inch too narrow. And her legs are a bit long.

Men are much more idealized than that in most games.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Johny wrote: »
    seems that some polycount users are lately on "whiny bitchy derailing mode"...must be SPM...

I LIKE TURTLES!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    don't know why i didn't see this kind of thing coming...
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    SupRore wrote: »
    Men are much more idealized than that in most games.
    This. Let's see some scrawny dudes kick ass. :poly118: Bones!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    she should be flat chested in real life.

Wha...why? That is an issue of genetics, not whether she backwards somersaults through ancient ruins for a day job. I have heard of women using upper body toning equipment to increase their chest size.

Anyway. Enough talk about tits. :poly142:
    Vrav wrote: »
    This. Let's see some scrawny dudes kick ass. :poly118: Bones!

Working on a skinny dude right now incidentaly. :) I myself am sick of the Z-Brushed orc in Gears of War armour look.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I for one want to see the exaggerated differences between men and women in games reduced until they all look like Square characters.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    What's wrong with huge tits? I myself quite like 'em.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Wha...why? That is an issue of genetics, not whether she backwards somersaults through ancient ruins for a day job. I have heard of women using upper body toning equipment to increase their chest size.

Bodyfat level, judging by her legs and waist she *should* have a lower chest size, realistically.

but still, who cares?
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    but still, who cares?

Not me. And neither should any guy that believes themselves to be straight.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury wrote: »
    I for one want to see the exaggerated differences between men and women in games reduced until they all look like Square characters.

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAA! :D
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    The game, for me, suffered from there being too many other games released at the same time.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JMYoung wrote: »
    The game, for me, suffered from there being too many other games released at the same time.

Agreed. I only picked it up because most of the christmas games were sold at half price because of the competition. If they had released it in the spring, they would have had more time to fix the two or three annoying bugs in the game.

Have you ever had a game crash your PS3? I have. TR:U did it. I was so freaked, didn't think it was possible. I hit a bug, the screen went green, the console went dead. Glad it booted back up again though! :D
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Let's see some scrawny dudes kick ass.

To be fair we have Gordon Freeman, who is basically a mute nerd that can inexplicably kill anything with a crowbar.