Home Technical Talk

Model flickering in UE3

The screenshot pretty much tells you what is happenning, those square parts keep flickering when you move around and they disappear if you move far enough.

building_problem.jpg

I think I'm having this problem because the two surfaces are too close together but I searched and couldn't find anything specific enough to help. Does anyone know how to stop the flicker, maybe theres a setting I'm not ticking or something.

If not, I guess I'll have to go back and do something to the model to change it. Any ideas anyone?

Replies

• Psixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe z fighting? Was it imported as one single static mesh or several? If you can select the seperate elements in your 3d app, try offsetting them a tiny amount and reimporting the mesh to the generic browser. The changes should update in the viewport without having to place your static mesh again.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was imported as 2 static meshes, one for all the small squares and one for the trim that goes around. I offset the face a bit more and the flickering happens from a greater distance now which is good.

I did a quick google search on z fighting, it seems that there probably isn't going to be much I can do to completely get rid of it.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sounds like z-fighting. As Psixos mentioned, moving the decoration away from the surface will help.

Seeing as it's UE3, you could also try setting up a separate material for those bits that blends the two textures together. Then you could remove the extra plane completely.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Just move the objects off the surface about 1 unit. The same issue can be seen inside of Max when you have two faces directly on top of each other. The player will never be able to tell the difference :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yep what Ott said. That would probably be one of the easiest fixes.

also set them up so they don't cast shadows and don't occlude since the stuff behind it will take care of all that for ya. :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies, I moved the object in the end and it was all good. Still a bit of flickering from a distance but I think I can work something out with that so it'll be fine :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah now thats just lod issues i'm guessing.