Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Game Character

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
Hi all,

I've started work on a new character for a sci-fi indie game. I have completed a concept sketch and sculpted figure. I am currently retopoing the mesh and will post a low poly mesh in the near future. Let me know what you think.

borian2zn3.jpg
***image removed***

Replies

• woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your mesj follows the conceptnicely, looks a little offbalance tho the pelvis seems to be rotated downwards. gl on the next stages! will follow the thread

-Woog
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update. Don't be gentle.

***image removed***
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Your poly flow and distribution on the head is looking great, though, as it goes down the character, it turns out ugly. make decisions on how you want your character to deform, and why you have that geometry in certain places. if you have polys that are not giving the character depth, or giving the character a more pronounced sillouette, i would say it is a waste. For instance, look at his abbs. Looking good though, keep it up. change up them proportions too, he could be a badass character, he is just looking to stereotypical as of right now.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obviously u arnt done yet but watch the geometry on the fingers/hands right now the deformation from skinning would be catastrophic, also the pelvis area needs work as does the abdominal area and the side under the arm, need to space your loops out a bit better nice job on the pronated wrist:)

-Woog
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright,
    if you have polys that are not giving the character depth, or giving the character a more pronounced sillouette, i would say it is a waste.

I have tried to keep this in mind. It was a little heavy. I wanted the character to come in under 3k. 5k with clothes and accessories.
    watch the geometry on the fingers/hands right now the deformation from skinning would be catastrophic

I have added more geometry to the hands.
    nice job on the pronated wrist

I know this is weird. Not sure how it happened. Just alien physiology I guess.

***image removed***

Here is a test with normal map and some diffuse.

***image removed***
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff man u have texture flats? o also dunno how this fella is gonna animate but could probably use one or two more loops on the torso, one through the ribs and one through the upper abdominal area would be good for twist and stretch :) looks nice tho great revision on the hands! ftw

-Woog
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here is the current model. Rigging and possibly some eyes mouth are next

***image removed***
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some issues with topology and my current rig but I am ironing them out. I can tell when something doesn't look right, but I'm new enough to rigging to not know how to change it for the better, if that makes sense. It's a process of trial and error.

webpose1ak2.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man just a quck tip on your rigging, once you skin him move his joints to extreme positions and paint them till they look correct, also i would like to restate what i said on the original retop post, could use at least one more loop through the torso, i can give more advice on rigging if u are in maya, but if u are in max i cant help you much.

o if you are having problems with your thumbs its because your base pose, the hands are a bit too flat, thumbs you probably want to model at a more open position. otherwise they are hell to rig.

-Woog