Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ferox-help needed with texture

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone!

Working on my portfolio and wanted to tackle a mid-res model next.I was really having problems with the diffuse and wanted to post this for a long time but i did not have any internet access.Which is why i had to keep going.
Its done in bodypaint mostly(for those of you who havent tried it,its pretty awesome. bodypaint>zbrush polypaint for low poly ofcourse)

Concept:-
2898,ferox2JIIWB.jpg
And heres the link to the orthographics/model sheet if anyone of you want to try it!

Heres what i have right now.Concept by Mcgibs (see image) almost finished i hope (thats for you guys to decide):-
2896,feroxwip4ZCNLC.jpg
And the wire+textures:-
2897,feroxwip4bS25TG.jpg

It would be really helpful if you guys could help me improve on the diffuse.
Thank you in advance.thanks :)

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all! :)

Still working on the texture.Made a specular aswell. The image in the middle is a render :)
    had to use a DX shader to make the specular work in the viewport. Is there any other way?
    2923,feroxwip5CVOUR.jpg

Also,i made a custom max UI. I never knew how customizable max was before yesterday...can you believe it? lol
    2924,screenLBLYR.jpg
    If you guys want it,let me know :D
    PLease comment and Thank you in advance :)
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Well, I think the skin is a little "shinier" than in the concept. Prolly cause of the contrast in colors. Also the character in the concept is a lot.. uhm.. smoother. Not as many defined muscles.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks alot for dopping by kawe! appreciate it :)
    Well, i worked on the contrast as you mentioned and also smoothed out the muslces;you were definitely correct there :)

Finals :-
    2925,feroxfinalforumsI4THQ.jpg
    My first rigged and posed character <3

Thank you to everyone who helped :) i.e. kawe,pliang and rens! :D
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Sahib, Don't know if you're still looking for any crits, but I have a quick suggestion for you that I think might really help your leg wraps.

I was looking at them and I noticed that the bandages are very horizontal and perfect, and the fact that your shins and calves are made with 5 sides, the horizontal painting style make them look very flat. I think that you could go back in to your texture and transform that portion of the wraps to make them appear to be more wrapped around a round surface.

The quality of the texture itself is good to go, but when applied to the very low geometry model, it really flattens it out. I think if you added this small variation of curvature, and got away from the completely horizontal lines, it would make the legs read rounder.

Good job though, looks great man!