Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Piece

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
This is a scene that I am working on for my portfolio. The shot is from the Unreal Editor. Any comments are greatly appreciated. I will post the texture flats and wire frame later. I wanted to get this up so I could adjust the lighting or any other major flaws before posting the final stuff:)

prelim4lf5.jpg

I have some animated textures that you can see in this link.

http://www.sethwolford.com/room3.mov

Replies

• MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no pro, but I think you could really spice it up with some trims and additional geometry on walls and ceiling(perhaps even some height difference on the floor as well). And you could try to make the corners somehow more interesting. Some interesting machinery covering the corner perhaps... Or rounding them up or just adding some sort of an support there might work.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to work on levels, then show you have some eye for forms and relations. At the moment you have a block with some props thrown in..? Think it'd be best if you'd just zoom out and come up with some meaningfull low frequency design of the space.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's nice but I think the lighting is very ambient at the moment too. Those fluro lights shouldn't be illuminating the whole room that cleanly, also some blue red and green etc... on the floor from the computer lights would look nice and some more shadows as well.

Looks good though, reminds me of system shock 2!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    about the lighting,
    I'd work on what you have at the moment, and darken some areas and lighten others, make a strong contrast (if that appeals!)

If your in UE, I think you can also focus on bounce lighting. Add in main light sources, then add in smaller, weaker sources, where light has bounced off surfaces. Basically, fake the GI.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scene looks empty in the foreground too, maybe add some foreground elements to help with the composition
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool modern retro piece very unreal1 1998-ish. Hopefully you where going for modern retro? If not, so much needs work I'm not sure where to start.

Before we can talk about props or the lighting, or the materials, we need to have a long chat about what makes an environment an environment. It starts with you digging through mountains of ref and dissecting it piece by piece and coming up with a functional layout something other then a box...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think you have a good start so far. I agree with the lighting remarks so far. The overall lighting should be darker, then emphasis lighting around areas, like the sparking tops and the fluid containers, etc...
    Aside from that, the electrical sparks, they should be faster and more erratic IMO. Electricity doesn't move slowly when jumping gaps like that ;) Also, maybe have some of the text on the monitors moving (like it's processing something).
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Thanks for the replies. Its funny that when I first lit the scene I thought it was to dark. Here is a pic of the first go at it.

roomorigow4.jpg
    w800.png

Here is top view of the lights and their radius. I am sure I can improve this I am not sure what to do though.

roomlightinfluencezw8.jpg
    w600.png

Vig-As for the layout I feel its kinda boring also. Originally this was made for the contest over at Game Artist which was 2 walls and a floor with a 10,000 tris limit. The concept for me was sorta 1950's Death ray with more modern sci fi. I never played Unreal 1 so I am not sure what it is like:)

Should I still stick with the contest theme since I missed the deadline or should I abandon the 2 walls for some other Environment layout.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    0_o, your room is a box. I`d say thats the number 1 thing on the list of priorities to fix. I suppose box rooms do exist in the real world. but even in the real world box rooms are boring. trims and height elevations would go a long way.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    not bad. could use some trim.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    I would like to add that you should try playing with the color scheme a little more. The blue, green and red doesn't seem to be very pleasing to the eyes. Just play with it and see what you come up with. But over all I'd say it's a solid piece of work.