Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy/Medieval Street Project

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
Hello people, decided i will post this just to get some critique from you guys before i do the finishing touches. Right now its pretty plain and simple, havent completed the diffuse, have some dirt,decals and other tear to add and a specular is missing, but im gonna fix it by tomorrow(2:00am here in Sweden now!)

Then I`m planning some deformation with a latice deformer to add some more personality to the house. Looked at Fable 2 houses to get some inspiration. Textures are 2048 now, with a normal map too, but would probally be 1024 at the end and the mesh is 2500 polys. Any tips would be greatly apreciated. Btw, this house is one of the many in a Medieval/Fantasy street project that I work on with 3 other friends. Worked on this house for 4-5 days now.

Shop_house.png

Texturetoshop-1.png

wire-2.png

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    far too clean, you need water,sun and human damage to make it believable, look at refs, esp painters from the time will give you a much better idea
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    a couple of things about this method of a single texture sheet for a building, which is okay per se as long as you make the most of it :

your roof texture noticeably repeats within itself. CRIME. If you're not tiling textures, there's no excuse for repeats. Hell, if you're tiling textures there's little excuse for noticeable repeats either

it looks to me like you've unwrapped the chimney stack, pulling out each side as you'd unwrap a cube, yeah? But then you've slapped on a straight grey brick texture. If you're gonna unwrap, your texture should follow the contours of your UVs to create the correct layout of bricks. Otherwise you may as well just overlap all the UVs for each face

are you having 2 different designs for each side of the shop sign? If not you only need the one on your texture sheet
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the resposne guys. -SHEPEIRO: Yah, I´m working on the human and weather factor in the texture today, as Imentioned in my post, im barely done with the diffuse here. -Danr: Your right mate, I did try to rush the roof and thats a crime in itself, but im gonna fix it today, that along with the chimney. Yah the shop sign is gonna have two diffrent signs on each side but i just slapped the same logo on both places as a place holder until i come up with another logo.

Thanks for the critique people, I´m gonna fix the things mentioned as i have to get this done now on Sunday
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I swear, the reference photo from which that roof texture is made from is the most popular one for rounded shingles. I see it everywhere! (including my own work). I think I saw it as a bldg texture in spore too...
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CRAP!, or maybe its not the same texture, got this one from CG textures but was originally grey stonish, so i turned it into brownish. Anyway dont think im gonna change it again.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the shop now, think this is the final stage, still maybe considering some deforming on the house, that tough should be easily applied. Thanks to you guys for advice and tips!

Fixed on this version: weather and tear/grunge/dirt, tiling and optimizing of uv set and finished the specular.

Oldshopupdate.png

Shop_diffuse_updatecopy.png

Shop_specular_updatecopy.png
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Needs some water damage under the windows and some dirt where the walls meet the floor.

A rough paintover to show some of the areas that need attention. I can't be bothered to dirty all the areas that need it but what I have done should give you the idea of how and where to add dirt.

shoppoxt2.jpg
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, it looks a lot better. only problem is that the water stains would be random placed all over the same faces that share the same texture because of the overlapping. But i think it can fix that with some decals. Thanks for the paintover mate!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    NP.

Decals are your friend ;)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    First of all I like the house and the style.

Besides the textures I would maybe add just a little more geometry on the right places and maybe deform some vertices. At the moment the house seems to have perfectly straight Walls, roofing and scantling. By adding some devisions at the right places the house would get a more leaning look.

One thing I'm unsure about is from what perspective is the player supposed to see the house. At the moment the polys seem to be equally distributed, which isn't bad. But if the house is intended to be viewed from a certain perpspective, you could brush those areas a bit more than others which aren't in the field of view.

If it's from above (RTS-Game) I maybe would add only a few polygons to the roof.
    If the player is supposed to see the buildinng from first or thirdperson you could add just some polygons to the walls of the house, to deform the silhoutte a little.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what u mean Slave Zero. No, the street with all the houses is gonna be in the crysis engine. So the modeling is partly more focused on spending more polygons in lower part. But i think im gonna take the polys up a notch, maybe the house will land on max 3k polys.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last Update before I move on. Next up is another house this time arround. Planning on importing the stuff maybe in Crysis Engine, never actually worked with that but I`m gonna try it outlater this week.

Last_update.png
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Nice! I like it ;)