Home Technical Talk

Editable Polys in 3ds Max

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
I saw a tutorial where this guy was making a face, in Maya. This one:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xls25e08sSg[/ame]

Now I see that he's connecting faces, dividing polygons with the greatest of ease.

I think it's called the Split Edge Ring Tool?

Is there some kind of plugin that duplicates this tool in 3ds Max?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I would suggest looking into the 'connect' function while in editable poly>edge mode in 3dsmax.

He also uses a function called 'inset' in 3dsmax.
  • BoilingOil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna: He talks about the tool i'm speaking about at 1:03

@sprunghunt: Yes, but the connect tool doesn't allow you to create a line anywhere on the edge, like he does at 1:03. Connect just connects whatever edges you have selected, but straight through the middle. I guess i'm looking for something that would let me create an edge loop anywhere on the edge more efficiently, but similar to how cut or quickslice work.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Have you tried selecting an edge, then hitting ring or loop then connect? This is a jewel of a tool in max... Shold give you the same results to what youre looking for.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I don't know of a way to do it as fast as he is doing, but connect DOES have the functionality you are looking for. You have to actually open up the connect dialog box, there are sliders for offset and stuff that will let you control where along the edge the new edge(s) are placed...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There might be a script for it, I've never looked though.
    While it's not as fast as single-clicking/dragging a new edge loop in, if you select one edge, hit Ring, then hit Connect, you'll get a new edge loop - you can then slide it around by hitting Shift+X (constrain to edge toggle) and moving the loop.

I have to say though, Max's Connect is more powerful and flexible than Maya's Insert Edge Loop tool... Maya's tool can only do one thing, while Max's works on pretty much any selection, and has several options for customising it (number of divisions, offset etc).
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    BoilingOil wrote: »
    Is there some kind of plugin that duplicates this tool in 3ds Max?

Polyboost.
  • BoilingOil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH! Thank you!
    I never knew this tool could do this.

The thing I use the most in polyboost is the Quadrify tool. Keeps my meshes from growing unexpected horns in Zbrush. Sometimes...
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    BoilingOil wrote: »
    @perna: He talks about the tool i'm speaking about at 1:03

@sprunghunt: Yes, but the connect tool doesn't allow you to create a line anywhere on the edge, like he does at 1:03. Connect just connects whatever edges you have selected, but straight through the middle. I guess i'm looking for something that would let me create an edge loop anywhere on the edge more efficiently, but similar to how cut or quickslice work.

Connect doesn't just connect straight through the middle. Try using the 'slide' and 'pinch' values in the connect dialog box.