Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hk ump .45

MLinderholm
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
Hey polycount, this is in my portfolio post aswell, but I would really like to have some crits and advice on it, so I'll go ahead and make a seperate post for it.

Made this for a game project in school, model is ~3170 tris and has a 1024x1024 texture.

render.jpg
http://www.mlinderholm.se/images/work_02/render.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Nice color base...now scratch the shit out of it in the spec.

Got a wire or texture flat?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I wish the background was a little more neutral so I could see the model a little better...

And yep the gun could definitely use some worn and age on it...it looks newly built...
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    pliang wrote: »
    And yep the gun could definitely use some worn and age on it...it looks newly built...

Well, what if it is? ;) I find it's harder to make things that look semi-new, like this one, "handled with care".

Also I think that gun should be made out of plastic... so no shiny scratches :(
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ivars is correct, most of the gun is plastic and it's supposed to be used in a game by a private police force, hence it should be used but not very worn. Might trash it up a bit more for personal use thou'.

Wires and Texture flats were requested:

breakdown.jpg
    flats.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Too dark, dude. The UMP isn't really that black --
    http://www.innovativetactical.com/catalog/images/gemtech/ump.jpg

looking good, though.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice UV layout. its an art in itself to tetris your UVs.

the 'death by ump' decal takes away from the gun unless it were used by mercenaries or something. but it definitely wouldn't be on a private police force gun. they have a chalkboard in the locker room for that...
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhoymand hehe, thanks
    about the death by ump, its removed in the render, just forgot to remove it from breakdown and flats, will do.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also suggest adding scratches to the diffuse. But i guess if you wanna keep the wear and tear down you could add a buildup of dirt in areas, and then translate that into your spec making those areas more matte to give some variation.
    I agree with SupRore, if you just lighten the base colour some more it will make details easier to read and allow the variations in the texture to show up more.
    The bullets appear also look a bit too saturated in the diffuse.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    There are a lot of really heavy gradients in the normal map, might not look good with a realtime shader.

Your texturing looks pretty good, but I would bake a bit of ambient lighting (use a skylight + light tracer and a ground plane) and add a bit more grunge to the diffuse to ensure that it looks good at all angles.
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheSplash: I'm gonna try to add some scratches since slot of people suggests it. Any tips on making scratched polymer?

Racer445: The pics are maya viewport screenshots which are kind of realtime, In addition to that I tried it out in-engine and all surfaces appered flat there. The option would be to either add more geometry or switch to hard edges. I tried using NormalTools for maya but it did not cooperate :P
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty good

i like clean guns

u can paint fake reflection on the bullets to make it more metallic and u can try different colors for different materials, i'd try it on the spec map

f.e. u can make the rubber parts shine with abit red or something

i would also make the metal base color darker with brighter spec

separate it from the plastic
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for all the comments, I'm gonna give this one a revamp next week, swamped by an art test atm.
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the background color and made the diffuse a bit brighter (updated the first post)