Homeโ€บ Technical Talk

Outdoor lighting

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Hey I was just wondering a decent lighting setup for an outdoor environment? I have never lit an outdoor environment so I would just like to get a general direction. I will be doing this inside of Max 2009. It is a tropical jungle environment. Thanks.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lighting that works for single shot beauty renders or animation, or lighting that works for a game?

1st, shadow calculation is the number one thing that causes your CPU to choke when rendering. Controlling your shadows is key to keeping render times low. Shadow map does a good job of this.

Skylight:
    In 3dsmax there is a light that is called "skylight" its placement doesn't really matter it draws a large dome over your scene at render time and does a good job of casting a lot of light around by casting rays but takes a while to calculate shadows.

You'll probably need to add in other lights for bounce and key lighting or turn on advanced lighting and set it to Light Tracer, this will allow to adjust the amount of bounce lighting after it hits an object, giving the scene much needed life but clunking up render times. Personally I do option 3.

One of the biggest tells that something is 3D, is the lack of bounce lighting. If you can get rid of the harsh shadows you're one step closer to realism.

Light Dome:
    There are several light dome scripts floating around for 3dsmax one that's been customized a few times and updated is E-Light Dome its pretty easy to find. Does a good job at faking a sky light in half the time. Its not for commercial use but you can recreate it by hand in very little time, save it and apply it to any scene you're working on.

One big light:
    Drop in a main shadow casting direct light and two opposing non shadow casting lights of lower intensity. These lights should encompass your whole scene. Why 3, read up on 3 point lighting it applies to everything. This will probably be the fastest way to render your scene and get fairly good lighting.

Of course every scene is different and lighting is a very specific and localized thing, per scene. These are as general a lighting set up you can get without starting to take the make up of the scene into account.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51209
    I wrote this up a while back and it applies to just about everything you can do with basic lights and scanline render in 3dsmax. Don't get caught up in thinking that Vray or Mental ray will yield better results just because, a firm foundation in the basics of lighting is required to pull off any good lighting set up be it for real time, or one time renders.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    can you post a ref image you trying to recreate, lighting is such a broad subject this way it`s easier to give specific pointers
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember using skylights back when I was a max user. with GI and FG turned on... that's instant sexy right there.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya they are pretty nice but they are also a quick way to long render times.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a great tutorial in the 2009 tutorial help file about outdoor lighting.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Ive spent alot of time reverse engineering outdoor lighting from films and photos heres some tips-
    your main light should not be the colour of the light you are trying to acheive, the ambient and the main light should add up to the colour you want to acheive. if you make it the colour of the source your ambient light will alter the colour of the direct light. EG if you have very blue shadows(ambient) and a yellow sun, your lit areas wil be too blue., remove this by subtracting the value of the ambient from the main direct.

if you have a refence image, take a colour sample from the nearest to mid grey surface in the scene, in both ambient lit and direct lit surfaces, this will give you two sets of colour values to play with, now subtract the ambient values from the direct and you will get a new set of values that should be correct for your direct light. add these to your scene and you should be able to get pretty accurate results fast.

if you are using a texture in your skylight/dome light, and you want to match the colours to reference, avearge blur the texture, take that value, look at the difference in values between it and your ambient value and alter the original texture by the same value.

hope that helps
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks people... This is the type of lighting I am going for.
    e3-uncharted-drakes-fortune-screens.jpg

Skylights dont work well with normal maps so wouldnt a skylight option not be suitable? That is one of the reasons I never use skylights except for AO baking.. Also, this is for beauty shots for my portfolio. Thanks..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylight/dome should provide good results as long as you have enough in your scene to occlude, also use a map so colour varition picks out the normal maps. In fact GI or AO should give you a better result than straight ambient, as there will be more directionality in the lighting for the normals to pick up, maybe you need to try getting the balance between direct lighting and ambient right?

that scene looks like it is using GI
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by use a map so color variation picks out the normal maps? Also what do i do to get the dome option you mentioned? OR are you just reffering to using the skylight?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it depends on the app/engine you are using, im guessing max right, if you add a map as a spherical envirnment (render optons i think but its been a while) you can set the sky dome to use this. this will shoot coloured rays at the env, so if you add a map hat has a nice gradient in it object will be lit differently depending upon which direction it is poiting to.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look at that tutorial I mentioned, it shows how to do this, and much more.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I dont think you will need a complex setup for this one. A strong directional light with slightly yellowish hue with sharp shadows for the sun and just a bit of skylight. You can assign a spherical (material editor) hdri to the skylight if you want that can add some nice variation or gradient map(as SHEPEIRO suggested) going from brownish/greenish (ground) towards blue (sky). For the canopy you can project any image from the light that will add the canopy texture to the surfaces (if you dont have them already modeled). Some low bounce lights if needed.

Test one light at a time.

But here is a tut that will go in-dept, PART 3 is on natural light. Good luck and dont forget to post your renders (if possible)
    http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials.html :)
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what it looks like so far. A little better than what I had before but still not feeling right yet.
    Lightingtest.jpg

I have a skylight with it turned to .5 and a directional light at 1.7 with a slight yellow tint to it, with its shadows on and so far 2 omnis. Feed back is greatly appreciated thanks..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need a bit of blue in the skylight, and your clamping the lower end of your lighting too much, possibly from the omnis, which i dont think you need, if you want more lighting in the shadows, up the bounces in the GI and increase the skylight(decrease the directional light the same amount to keep lit areas the same value)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Skylights dont work well with normal maps so wouldnt a skylight option not be suitable? That is one of the reasons I never use skylights except for AO baking.. Also, this is for beauty shots for my portfolio. Thanks..

True, I dont use skylight or fg for objects only for lightmap, as it does have somewhat a direction from the sky and it has radiance, AO works better to texture and fill a simple object, the skylight fits exactly what name says a sky dome lighting, but instead of skylight i use FG as im a maya user.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a MR material called Ambient Occlusion, you can apply that to everything in your scene, render a true AO pass and overlay that on top of your render. Its a rendering only trick but it keeps you from having to bake AO into material.

Bounce light is not always blue, bounce light normally consists of the overall color of your scene. In this case you might need more green and more yellow. Also jungle scenes might have less direct light which means shadows would have softer edges. The most accurate type of shadows are "Area" since they fade over distance and take a bunch of factors into account as they are calculated, they also can chunk up the render time quite a bit.

Also keep in mind that the skylight method while easy to set up, isn't actually used in any games.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: ยป
    There is a MR material called Ambient Occlusion, you can apply that to everything in your scene, render a true AO pass and overlay that on top of your render. Its a rendering only trick but it keeps you from having to bake AO into material.

Bounce light is not always blue, bounce light normally consists of the overall color of your scene. In this case you might need more green and more yellow. Also jungle scenes might have less direct light which means shadows would have softer edges. The most accurate type of shadows are "Area" since they fade over distance and take a bunch of factors into account as they are calculated, they also can chunk up the render time quite a bit.

Also keep in mind that the skylight method while easy to set up, isn't actually used in any games.

i use sky domes and emissive materials all the time to bake lighting in for games across levels this is the same as using a skylight.
    and your bounce light should be the colour of the sky so blue (or greyblue if overcast), the colour of the materials in the scene will be picked up on the first bounce, this is more physically correct is it not?

also if your direct light is used in the GI solution then your scene will be even more physically accurate, cant remeber exactly but dont some lights in max work wth the GI and some dont (i think the standard ones dont)

Is there much point in using a HDR map as your skydome? as the range in a normal image will give you almost exactly the same result once the lights been bounced around scene esp if the directional light gives you the extended range.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bounce light should be the color of the light bouncing around not always the sky. In the case of jungles there is normally a canopy and leaves being translucent filter light as well as bounce it. The bounce system will not account for light filtering, unless you start to use some really advanced settings for your leaves and lights. So I suggest using green.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but the bounced light should pick up the colour of the leaves as it passes through or off them, and this will give a nicer colour variation from the top of the canopy to the base, its worth it IMO but will be slower to render, which i forget as i have render farm at work ;-)

a way round this could be a green/brown sky dome as you say, and adding a second very soft shadowed directional pointing straight down with a blue colour, this will give you a more accurate colour in open patches and keep render times up
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep that would work really well and it would be faster then using a sky light. That thing is a pig...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    keep in mind many games also use post process tone mapping to help unify the color pallete. this can also help ground a scene, normally when I am lighting something in unreal ill go for a warmer main light and then a super low faint blue skylight to help get rid of the black in the shadows. after that Ill add a post process that tweaks the midtones, and sometimes the shadow colors.

I think the main thing to look for is eliminating harsh whites and dark blacks, while using pools of shadow to add depth to a scene. Im no professional lighter though so the only advice I can really give is study some photos/screen of the effect you are trying to get and replicate it. thinking to hard can often complicate things...hahaha dunno if that makes sense.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEy guys thanks. I appreciate the effort put into helping me out here.
    Here is an update with the scene. The lgihting is still being tweaked.

updated_02.jpg

update_01.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show us your lighting setup/shadow values etc so far, pretty sure i can help you acheive something better but i would like to know more about what youve got already first.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Shep thanks. Here is what I have so far.
    Only the far left directional light has shadows on and they are defaulted.

lights.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats looking far too complicated for an outdoor scene, and partly why its looking confused in your renders

will try and get a soloution to you tonight that should work better tonight
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    what I`d do is start from scratch and use GI to get the result I`m looking for, than save the result as a reference and try to reproduce it without GI.

You should have a nice result with nothing else than a sunlight and a skylight. Tweak them one by one and then together. Move that sun around and see which position fits your scene better keeping in mind the time of day.

You could add a projection texture to your sunlight this can have a simple b&w or colour image of treetops or whatever. This will break up the light so it wont hit everything with the same strength.

If it looks ok try some renders with bounces (indirect illumination menu) that will get rid of the black areas you will propably need to decrease the intensity of your sun/sky at this point.

Here are some ideas hopefully your endresult will look better than my crappy paintover lol :poly122:

/cropped your pic to get rid of the empty areas/

28aqn0j.jpg

I hope SHEPEIRO will give you some advice as well :poly142:
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This look pretty awesome Vik, I hopeI can achieve somethign like that. Dont skylights not make normals effective though? How do you add a projection texture? I have never done that before, thanks...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    usually a skylight will destroy normals if thats all you render with, like people who love clay renders wonder why their normals dont show. with a strong key light casting shadows they should show up fine, especially if the skylight is rather low and just helping to add ambient light to the shadows.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, the skylight should only be used as a fill light, helping to get rid of strong black shadows and help fill out darker areas.

A strong key light with mapped shadows of tree's leaves would look great in this scene I reckon.

In Jeremy Birn's Lighting and Rendering book he talks about this...off screen space and how important it is to show things that are happening off the screen without you actually seeing it.

It helps sell the shots a lot and one great way to do this is to use shadows, especially lights using "fake" shadow maps.

I'm sure this is covered in the 3DS Max help file and from ancient memory I think it has a tutorial on this.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you remeber in Max how to make fake shadows? I know you need to place a map in the slot, but what does the map look like and where exactly does it go? Thanks.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you will find better truer solutions than faking shadows.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downloading the trial version of max as we speak ; as my desktop with me old copy is a bit de-funct atm, will do a quick mock-up for you
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How so Shep? Oh ok cool, thank you man..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well In my experience faking stuff like in the movies, animation or rendering is a pain and often counter productive when working in an environment that you can view from whatever angle. I have to match movie lighting all the time which use all sorts of tricks and change from shot to shot, trying to put these in often ends up with a different view looking odd cos there is no source to a light you put in for the first shot. going for a real world soloution is much better in my opinion
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    It's just a matter of experimenting.

But keep in mind that some interesting shadows in this scene will help sell the "jungle" feel a lot more.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Do you remeber in Max how to make fake shadows? I know you need to place a map in the slot, but what does the map look like and where exactly does it go? Thanks.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/projector_lights/projector_lights.htm

as to where to put it > select light > advanced effects > projector map

2rniykn.jpg
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vik, when I add a map my scen becomes really dark. Is there a solution to the problem or is it something I am doing wrong? Thanks man..
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, lighting is killing me right now. Here is where it stands right now. All crits, rips etc are appreciated.

help.jpg
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I think this is the best render so far so keep your chin up lol Your sunlight is too weak and the position is also not the best (most of the front is in the shadow) so up the intensity and move it around until things start to pop
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats how lighting goes when you're learning. You're doing a good job of learning quick, keep at it you're doing good =)
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now, how can I get the projection of the canopy shadows to work properly? WhenI put the inmaeg in the slot it darkens the scene. I used all the images form that tutorial that guy had on his site and that you posted and they didnt work properly for me. I saw how yours was Vik and mine wasnt close. Is there something I am missing? Thanks guys..
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    well, it is supposed to darken the scene since the map is blocking some of the light. try to increase the light intensity. hope it helps. if you got stuck throw up a pic that could help to see the problem better
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what it is doing to the scene.
    poopshadows.jpg

It is not really working to well. The shadows arent small enough and only on the sides. How can I adjust this?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adjust the tiling in the map slot,
    if youare laoding it staight in you may not be able to do this but if you load it in to a material, then instance it from there you should be able to

sorry ive not got round to helping, but you are doin much better anyway,
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What would be the best way to avoid certain objects in the scene getting blown out? I highlighted them in red, also the white color rock is being way blown out. If I turn the light down then it doesnt give enough light to fill out the scene. I have darkened the textures almost to completely not being able to see them but they are getting blown out by my sunlight. I have tried using an omni in a negative value to take some of the light away but it doesnt look right. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    blownout.jpg

I also want to add a bit more contrast to the shadows, and in the parameters I am taking the density up and down and it doesnt appear to soften or harden the shadows. Also I am gettign closer to closing this scene out so all crits would be appreciated, things to add, subtract, change etc. Thanks
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I am getting closer to finishing this, i was wondering if which of the two lighting styles looks better? Thanks.

newest1_adjusting_bloom.jpg

newest1_adjusting_nobloom.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the more saturated one,
    dont darken your textures if your using light bounces as a darker texture will mean less light is bounced, therefore not fillling your scene.

up the strength of your skylight and decrease the strength of your sun, thing is overblown areas are somewhat correct, only it looks alot better with a touch of bloom and some HDR
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    every time I look at this, I keeping thinking it needs some color in the shadows.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using reference? It looks like you might just be "winging" it.

Ta Prohm is the name of the famous Cambodian temple with the overgrowth. Do some searches until you get a lighting style you like, then try to get as close to that as you can.

For example...

angkorwat_002p.jpg

camb01_30.jpg

2899015469_1faa5d7802.jpg?v=0

2044515-Ta-Prohm-0.jpg
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I am using reference. I posted the one image that I wanted to get the feel of. I have a bunch of images from the site this reference was taken from. I am not just winging it, I am trying to get a bright lit scene with mid day sun in it.

Shep, what would you recommend for HDR considering I ahve never used it in a render. I used a post bloom effect for the more saturated image.