Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rock Band Drums

Yeah, I'm a noobie modeler atm, but here is pretty much the third model I've accomplished, currently a WIP. The only real other things I've made was a Guitar Hero controller, and a pencil + lamp into a scene. I might post those later.

rockbanddrums9-25.png
9-25side.png
9-25dpadrender.png

rockbanddrums9-25wireframe.png
9-25sidewireframe.png
9-25dpadwireframe.png

this is an in-class project at my school, and it's more of a self-teach thing, hence me wanting feedback :)

so, anyone have any comments?

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    what are all those cuts doing on the bottom edge in that last picture?

nothing, that's what. nuke 'em
  • Kaination
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    what are all those cuts doing on the bottom edge in that last picture?

nothing, that's what. nuke 'em

I was trying to make it go from a flat to a kind of rounded.

Is there another way to do this? :x

and how would I go about deleting the cuts?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ah, then you'll need to move the verts, at least a little. right now it looks like they're not affecting anything.

i should have mentioned - they look like rock band drums. so good job on that.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you're making this to be a game asset i'd lower the poly count by a lot. if it were just a prop object it'd probably be no more than 1k triangles including the legs. if its for realistic 3d and its going to be rendered, then skys the limit.

also, watch your Ngons (any polygon with more than 4 vertices). its good practice to cut faces into quads or tris so you don't get any render errors.
  • Kaination
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    ah, then you'll need to move the verts, at least a little. right now it looks like they're not affecting anything.

i should have mentioned - they look like rock band drums. so good job on that.

Actually, the whole thing was a good ol' cube. I cut little pieces and shifted them downwards, it's somewhat uneven if you look carefully, I'm hoping to fix it soon.
    rhoymand wrote: »
    if you're making this to be a game asset i'd lower the poly count by a lot. if it were just a prop object it'd probably be no more than 1k triangles including the legs. if its for realistic 3d and its going to be rendered, then skys the limit.

also, watch your Ngons (any polygon with more than 4 vertices). its good practice to cut faces into quads or tris so you don't get any render errors.

It's not so much for anything, just a realistic 3d. I'm not too familiar with low poly modeling, I haven't really started. Once I do I want to get more faimliar with it.

I'll update this with how it looks soon, I got a stand yesterday, but I need to fix up a couple things + add drumsticks.
  • Kaination
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10-6.png

10-6wireframe.png

10-6back.png

10-6backwireframe.png

Gonna start the pedal soon. Not gonna be able to work on the bass pedal until finals are over this week.

But that's my final stand atm. Anything I should change?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Try taking a look at an actual set where the body connects to the stand - it doesn't quite look like that.
  • Kaination
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Try taking a look at an actual set where the body connects to the stand - it doesn't quite look like that.

Ah, how did I forget about that!

I remembered last week I was gonna fix it. Shouldn't be that big of a fix.