Home General Discussion

Warhammer Online Not Crediting All Developers

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Peris polycounter lvl 17
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54263

This probably happens all the time in the industry, but it's still pretty shitty. Adding a name to a list requires no effort at all, so this should feel like a pretty bad punch in the chest for anyone that spent a lot of his time and creativity in this :(. Anyone here at polycount affected by it? I know theres a lot of employees and ex-employees from mythic here.

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Well? They did have to make room for adding the credits for dev babies that were born during production. Can't skimp on that.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I heard it costs $873,000.03 for each line in the spreadsheet that lists a credit. It's not free at all, as you might suspect. . .
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    wtf, I'm credited as Justin "Hydrocephalus" Meisse - Coffee Boy

EFF YOU GUYS!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah ... but seriously ... would any of you actually hit the "credits" button anyways?
    I can only think of a couple people who've recently left that would really be angered by this.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i'd imagine that they are probably in the Special Thanks area
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Craps! Now I don't have proof...
    I assume this also means I don't get my free copy :P.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah seriously ... I would think the "proof" thing is unimportant since you are still putting the game on your resume and you have all that portfolio filler etc. etc.

I don't see why the person in the article wants to take legal action. Seems silly. But that's just me.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Yea this isn't at all unusual. According to the credits for Bully it was made by about 6 people. Of course it wasn't ...but so many people had left by the time it was actually finished.

Proper etiquette in my opinion is special thanks for leavers. And of course if you spend more than a year or two on a project ...credit yourself by putting it in your portfolio.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Matabus wrote: »
    Yeah ... but seriously ... would any of you actually hit the "credits" button anyways?
    I can only think of a couple people who've recently left that would really be angered by this.

Yeah, credits are dumb and should be removed even, from games, movies, books... who cares really.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Matabus wrote: »

well, the point isn't who's gonna look at it. if they actually took their time to make a credits section they should list anyone who should get credited for it, no?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    this is just how mythic rolls.
    when i was there, there was a dude who worked on a release up until the last week or so of production and he got nixed from the credits.

is this fair?
    who cares, mythic pays the bills and they write the credits.

speaking as a seasoned title shipper, if you are not on a project for the last phase of development its almost safe to say you didn't truly "work" on it. but at the same time i have done contract and been in the credits for just a character or 2, but i don't think i would of really gave a shit if i wasn't. i think its up to the developer, in this case,mythic.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    heh, i got credited with all the artwork on the PSP version of the warriors and i didn't actually do any

credits are ace
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, credits are dumb and should be removed even, from games, movies, books... who cares really.

I really hope this is sarcasm. I for one care and i for one do actually hit the credits button to see who has worked on a game. I think if contributed a significant amount of time and effort to a project you should be credited. I dont see how not being there until the end of the product should invalidate any work you have contributed. Its its a significant contribution you should have some form of recognition even if its in the "Special thanks area" I dont think it should be a basis for a lawsuit mind you but i can see how people can be irritated by this.

Some of you guys may shrug it off and say who cares but that isnt the case for everyone. If youve made a significant contribution to a game that alot of hours of your life you have devoted to this product and i dont think fair to diminish that.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 wrote: »
    I really hope this is sarcasm. I for one care and i for one do actually hit the credits button to see who has worked on a game. I think if contributed a significant amount of time and effort to a project you should be credited. I dont see how not being there until the end of the product should invalidate any work you have contributed. Its its a significant contribution you should have some form of recognition even if its in the "Special thanks area" I dont think it should be a basis for a lawsuit mind you but i can see how people can be irritated by this.

Some of you guys may shrug it off and say who cares but that isnt the case for everyone. If youve made a significant contribution to a game that alot of hours of your life you have devoted to this product and i dont think fair to diminish that.

Yeah I am certain it was sarcastic.

I wasn't suggesting removing credits altogether or saying that they aren't important to some, I was just saying they aren't important to me really. I have been working on this game since the very very beginning and if I were to leave the company now and they told me I would removed from the credits it honestly wouldn't bother me a whole shitload. I have the insane amount of work I did in my portfolio and would still list the company and experience on my resume. It's not like employers are going to rifle through credits to make sure you worked on a game you have listed in your resume. :P

Yeah, I can see how some would be ticked off ..... just sayin'.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    All contributions deserve recognition, regardless of how long you've worked on a project. If you leave a studio, none of the effort and sacrifices you've made for it dissapear. It's dishonorable not to give credit where it's due.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    SubPablo wrote: »
    All contributions deserve recognition, regardless of how long you've worked on a project. If you leave a studio, none of the effort and sacrifices you've made for it dissapear. It's dishonorable not to give credit where it's due.

qft
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    SubPablo wrote: »

i agree, that it is the honorable thing to do, but if they shell out the cash to employ you while you are there you have been compensated, to think a developer then continues to owe you even after you are no longer working there is a bit much. i see both sides to this, but really its like demanding royalties on a game after its done and you have left.
    technically you did work on the game, and you should be entitled to a share of the profits, but you will be hard pressed to find a studio that gives royalties to people that have left before the project is finished. There are still a few that are cool enough to give you royalties after you leave for the games you shipped, but i don't know of any handing them out for titles you didn't see the release date for. i see the credits as something residual like royalties and i also think its up the developer to make those decisions.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Day 1 studios/LucasArts put Exis in the credits for Fracture, and we did contracts only.

I don't see an issue with listing everyone in an electronic presentation of credits, but listing 100+ people in associated booklets could be annoying-ish.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    This is why the game industry should be unionized.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Zephir62 wrote: »
    This is why the game industry should be unionized.

you shut your mouth!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    lol, who cares about the credits. If you worked on the game at all, then thats fine enough. Just tell people. No one is going to question if you did or not unless you give them reason to suspect otherwise.

seriously, not big a deal..
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got my credits in a Star Wars game for a character that I can't even manage to unlock. >_<

At least I got my name in there, and since the credits were set up like the ending for a Star Wars film I was doubly satisfied.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get how this made news. It's a fairly well established industry practice to not credit those that don't see a project through to the end. It's practically a law at EA, and anyone who's ever worked there would know it. Quit early = no game credit, no matter how long you've been working on it. Perhaps they think it's something that keeps people from considering leaving in the middle of crunch, who knows. Either way, If you worked for EA, left before the end and didn't know you'd lose a game credit, you've been living under a rock, or something.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    Arsh, I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't lump credit acknowledgement into the same category with royalties. One includes doling out a slice of the pie, and the other is like simply thanking the chefs. The fact that in this case, there are 300+ chefs doesn't matter. The fact that nobody may even look at the box doesn't matter. It's a matter of respect. It doesn't cost anything to respect your dev team. The company is choosing between acknowledging everyone and eating the whole pie, and not acknowledging everyone and still eating the whole pie.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm behind sub here, it bugs me too. we're not talking royalties we're talking a name in an excel spreadsheet. How about using a recent example, mr Brian Morrisroe, art director on Diablo 3 and driving force behind the visual style. I guess since he left before the game shipped he doesnt deserve any credit? If you did that same work and left, would you be happy not to be given credit for it?
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with you guys, it's just a matter of professional courtesy. It costs the company nothing, so unless someone has been fired for something unforgivable like plagiarism, I don't see why they'd choose to have someone stricken from the credits.

Sucks to hear that this practice is pretty much law at EA, Daz. IMO, when a company makes an active effort to exclude people from credits based on when they leave, rather than considering their total contribution to a title, it reflects pretty poorly on company's business attitude.

If they actually do use this tactic to delay people leaving, they should have a read of this, rather than repackaging basic professional respect as a privilege to be earned. Not to mention making themselves look bad in the process.

I'll get off my soapbox now, just my $0.02. :D
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Industry wise, credits can be a pretty big deal... I know of companies that check game credits as a part of the interview process. As an artist it's a bit easier to prove you worked on a game IF you have the assets you worked on. For a coder or a designer, all they can really do is make a claim, and that's it. Hell, I could claim I worked on Warhammer Online, and mention that they didn't allow me to use any of the assets in my demo..

Credits matter.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I'm almost positive I'm not in the credits for at least one game I listed here: http://www.superostrich.net/index_resume.htm

The truth is, my website and resume give me the credit anyway. I couldn't care less if an immature business owner thinks they're "getting back" at me for leaving the team during development by removing my name from the credits. You know what you worked on, hopefully you have copies of it and put it on your website to prove it. That's all that matters.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I actually care about the whole credits thing. I sit at the end of movies and read the credits, I always look through the credits in my games manuals. I've also been incorrectly credited on my first title. I was an environment artists but was listed as a prop artist, I only built 2 props (there were well over 200 props) whereas I worked on about 30% of the overall environments.
    It is pretty trivial, but its just a sting when you know you put in a shit tonne of work, extra over time and really made a contribution to the team and then they say "Thanks... What did you do again?".

-caseyjones
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    WhiteEagle wrote: »

Sucks to hear that this practice is pretty much law at EA, Daz. IMO, when a company makes an active effort to exclude people from credits based on when they leave, rather than considering their total contribution to a title, it reflects pretty poorly on company's business attitude.

The truth of the matter is that the real reason people want a credit is ego. Comments in here suggesting that not receiving a game credit on the actual shipped game being in some way detrimental to ones career is the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. Stick it on your resume, end of story. Companies do not dig fucking game discs out to check credits. They have other means at their disposal to find out If you really worked on something and quite frankly have better things to do than go installing games and searching through hard to find menus for your name!

Just to make myself clear here, I do not think that ethically it's the right thing to do on their part no. I think it's pretty fucking childish and lame. But it is what is, and they and many other companies have been doing it for years. Which is why I'm so surprised that this is even news.

Doug Nishimura is our lead environment artist and he's totally awesome. Apparently we 'stole' him from EA. The ship in upcoming title 'DeadSpace' used to be called the Nishimura. Check media and you'll note that it's now called the 'Ishimura'. hahahaha, pathetic.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Daz wrote: »
    Doug Nishimura is our lead environment artist and he's totally awesome. Apparently we 'stole' him from EA. The ship in upcoming title 'DeadSpace' used to be called the Nishimura. Check media and you'll note that it's now called the 'Ishimura'. hahahaha, pathetic.

Yeah i have seen that done a few times, sometimes its for legal reasons.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the whole credit thing wouldn't be so much of a bugger if half of the typical credit roll wasn't reserved for every director of whatever and their secretaries and assistants at the publisher's head office, barely involved into producing the title in the first place.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    as far as I'm concerned it's nothing to do with ego, it's about feeling acknowledged which is something different. That your effort was recognised, nothing more. I don't believe it has any carreer affecting issues, there's other ways you could prove you worked on something if you had to.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    While I agree that it is a bit crappy if you end up not being credited at all for a project you've spent a fair bit of time and effort on, however at the other end of the spectrum, I don't think it's sensible or useful to try and credit absolutely everyone who's touched the game in some way (especially, as thomasp said, all the random out-of-the-loop publishing executive secretaries and stuff who maybe made 2 phone calls during the whole project).

Quoting from that article:
    At present, the IGDA suggests its members credit "any person...who has contributed to the production of the game for at least 30 days of a 12-month or greater project...[or] any person who has contributed during 10% of the project's total time in development [for projects shorter than 12 months]."
    I think the IGDA is being a bit silly there. If you have a 2-year project for an AAA game, and you hire some guy who works for 30 days on it then decides to leave, or gets fired, or moves project ... I don't think that deserves credit... except maybe in "Special thanks".
    Usually in 30 days from joining a project you can barely have time to get up to speed with the tools and workflow, then maybe finish one or two assets, and those will usually end up getting touched by other developers later, sometimes cut completely. Crediting absolutely everyone who modelled a crate or wrote a couple hundred lines of code is just silly, they barely contributed to the project at all.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's a bit dishonorable. It's understandable to not include every single person if a game took many years to make and literally hundreds of people worked on it, but still it's not real cool. It's certainly not a really big deal though.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Received this bit in my IGDA newsletter today-
    Dear Members and friends,

Mythic recently announced that only developers currently employed with the studio will be recognized in Warhammer Online's credits. FYI:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19931

This policy is disrespectful of the effort of the game developers who worked on the game, and misleads both consumers and game industry peers. Unfortunately, Mythic's stance is not unusual; according to a survey conducted by the IGDA Writers Special Interest Group, 35% of respondents "don't ever" or "only sometimes" receive official credit for their work, and almost every game developer I know can provide anecdotal evidence of credit policies that vary by studio, and in some cases by individual title. The lack of accurate, fair, and consistent credit standards in the industry poses a serious problem for every game developer; by refusing to acknowledge their contributions, studio management limits the professional recognition and opportunity for development that _every_ contributor deserves.

Some people claim that providing complete credit information opens their staff up to contact by unsolicited recruiters, or encourages people to leave their job before a game is complete. These reasons are simple window dressing for policies that are arbitrary, unfair, and in some cases even vindictive, and they simply don't hold up. Recruiters have many ways of discovering talent, and, more importantly, a valued employee will not leave a good job simply because a recruiter initiates unsolicited contact. It's an unfortunate fact that people leave jobs frequently, especially in the games industry; why refuse to recognize a contributor because, through circumstances they may not be able to control, they've changed employers? And frankly, if being mentioned in credits is the only reason a person remains with a company, are they really someone you want to stay? Other people claim that credits aren't important because "nobody reads them anyway"; the number of people who read !
    a game's credits is irrelevant. Even if only one person reads the credits of a game, integrity demands that all work be accurately and honestly represented.

Because fair and accurate crediting is important to the careers of game developers, the IGDA has a Credit Standards Committee, with draft guidelines available at:
    http://www.igda.org/credit/

I strongly encourage you to read the beta proposal, which emphasizes inclusive credit standards. Provide comments, share the proposal with colleagues and management, and join me in calling for the industry-wide adoption of crediting policies that recognize the efforts and accomplishments of _all_ people who contributed to a game.

PS: Related commentary by designers David Jaffe and Menveer Heir:
    http://designrampage.blogspot.com/2008/08/open-letter-to-mark-jacobs.html
    http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-name-in-lights.html

- Jen MacLean
    Chairperson, IGDA
    VP Business Development, 38 Studios
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    while i like to be in the credits (so far only about 30% of the games i've shiped). i don't see it as a big deal. we are comercial artists. we get paid to do this. it is our job. expecting that credits is a right we are owed is sily. when you go buy a roll of toilet paper do you expect it to come with a booklet with everone who was active in its creation from lumberjack to grocery store bagger?

people expect that this is owed to them because for umpteens of years we have seen credits in games.. and have always assumed that everyone was given credit. no telling how many people were left off the pong credits.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yes, games are just like toilet paper
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not exactly, toilet paper has many more users, and is actualy important. games are fluff
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    yes, games are just like toilet paper

Apparently, to some people, they are.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Whenever I whipe, I think of Rhinokey working hard in the saw mill.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    when you go buy a roll of toilet paper do you expect it to come with a booklet with everone who was active in its creation from lumberjack to grocery store bagger?

I wouldn't say no to it, an instruction manual would be handy too.

It's funny to me that you'd compare games to toilet paper, Rhino. Although I'd probably have toilet paper on my mind too if I were talking out of my ass like that. :D
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aww eagle, it don't have to come to that.

yea i worked years in a sawmill with no credit, and in the end i come to work everyday and i make the things that people tell me to make. i don't see where artists think they are so freaking special.

an artist designs the cereal boxes you see every morning, but i see no list of credits
    an artist designed my car, but looking in the manual i see no credit.
    an artist the toys on my desk, most of them are not signed, and the box lists no credit for the actual sculpter.

its a big deal because people have seen game credits and always assumed everyone gets in.

besides the fact that i love my job now, it in the end is not much diff than when i worked in sawmill. i come in, i do what i'm paid to do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sucks when people work hard and aren't given proper credit. It's not so much that they are dropped from the credits. but the people who remain in the credits appear to have done the work of a small army.

If under Environment Team, there are 3 names but actually 200 people have come and gone that's pretty ass that 3 people get to take credit for all of the work. If you mix this with another of the industries favorite trends, "lay off everyone except a skeleton crew after going gold" I'd be shocked if this doesn't happen more often.

Its understandable when a few people slip through the cracks. Its total ass when there are policies in place that exclude people, I guess it would be better if you knew that going in.

I do think its time that the industry start paying attention to credits like the film industry does, but really if someone moved on to another job I guess they really didn't need the credit in the first place? I still think great art and dedication will speak louder then game credits or degrees. But whatever gets you past the HR filter...
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    If it's an all or nothing situation then it doesn't matter Rhino, everybody is getting an equal amount or lack of credit. Problems arise when you only credit a few for the work of many.
    If you prefer to let others take credit for your work and ideas, that is fine of course.

I dont you would have enjoyed yuor sawmill experience if they had a credit list on the wall and yuo were one of the few not on it even tho you worked your butt off as much or more than others there.

Clearly, credits are never complete, most places will happily exclude people from credits if they don't particularly like them and are not present at the time of release. Others fall through the cracks as Vig said.

Maturity issues aside, for something to have any worth or value it should be done right, or not at all... if you're gonna give credit, give credit where credit is due.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dingdingding. Strangefate gets it right.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i disagree fate, i don't feel bad about not being in the sims 2 and ultima online expansion credits. did my work, got payed. i would have prefered to be in there if it was my call but in the end, that work got me my job here, and they never even asked for proof by way of credits. and if there was a credit wall on the sawmill it would not bother me one bit to be left off. if i was still cashing a paycheck at the end of the day.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're arguing over nothing now. You 'disagree', but if it was your call you'd be on it?
    Not feeling bad about it is one thing, but why are you still arguing? You'd prefer it, as you said, and we'd prefer it... as we've said. That's agreement, where I come from.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Daz wrote: »
    It's practically a law at EA, and anyone who's ever worked there would know it.
    Not necessarily true. Here at my EA owned studio, we had complete control over our credits. EA just supplied their own and we pasted them at the end of ours. We included everyone who we felt deserved a credit and a few who we really felt didn't. It's really up to the studio and not the publisher on who they include in the credits.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, to be sincere, all games i´ve participated until now I didn´t get any credits because i´m a freelancer, so, I don´t think this is bad if you show into your portfolio later the work you did on that game.