Home Contests & Challenges Archives

"Mod Facade" Challenge - Tumerboy - Run Down Motel

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
Alright, so I've had this idea of doing an old run down motel in my mind for a while. The kind that was nice at some point in history, but you would never want to stay at. Yet, it somehow stays open despite it's lack of customers. Besides, the pinicle of modularity is the motel . . . shut up, I'm right damn it!

Also, I've always loved this sign at a motel near my old apartment:

Western-Motel-lrg.jpg

Here's some other early referrence gathering:

536142508_2c2dcdc5b8_o.jpg
2297063879_c9d0016ecb.jpg?v=0
2249369585_4c8f32eec6_o.jpg
155777424_449c8a87c1.jpg
122286216_1cea3bbd32.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nice! This could have a metric shit ton of character!

"Hourly fees" available!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh oh, now i have to come up with a "metric shit ton." I don't even know how much a regular shit ton is. . . I've got to go find a metric conversion chart now. . .
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started laying out the basics tonight, not very far, but it's got some basic shape to it now, and I've got a better idea about the polys I'll need for it.

2617087161_3bc86c33f0_o.jpg

I drove around and collected some referrence tonight, but I'm going to go get a bit more tomorrow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22290667@N08/sets/72157605854480574/
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    This looks cool.

Alex
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Uh oh, now i have to come up with a "metric shit ton." I don't even know how much a regular shit ton is. . . I've got to go find a metric conversion chart now. . .
    HAHAHA!
    I'm looking forward to this "metric shit ton" and have high expectations!

-caseyjones
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    You should totally SilentHill-ify the motel! :D Nice start, btw
  • Psixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, great start already. I second the creepy silent hillesque opinion, good luck!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never actually played Silent Hill, anyone care to clue me in to what I would have to do to "silent hillize" this ?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update:
    2622980568_e9ecea1147_o.jpg

mainly just laid out the UVs for all of the tiling stuff, and have all the smaller (non tiling) details broken up.

It's sitting at 8100 tris right now, or so. Gonna add the office and the pool, and then any details I can cram into the left over texture/poly space.

Comments/Critiques/Ideas are all welcome.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    wheres the party at? Looks good man.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    wow thats alotta geometry to share one 2048
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, ya, I just started some basic textures yesterday, haven't done much, but we'll see where they go.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super basic texture rough in. Not sure about the color sceme yet. . . gotta play with it some more.

and Eric, you're crazy, it's all tiling textures, and modular pieces. 2048 should not be a problem.

2637629018_5ab619a435_b.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm. . . where's that new infraction button again . . . ?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little bit of redesign, more work on textures. It was feeling too modern, I wanted more of a late 50's early 60's feel, so I redid a few things. . . anyway, here's where it is right now:

about 10,500 tris

2642767511_3f961c7c34_o.jpg
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe a little overkill on the weathering. It looks like it was built 100 years ago. Try to make it less an overall effect and more intentional, where does the grime originate? Add some gravity to it, more grime close to material seams, less on flat surfaces etc.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    totally agree Okkun

I was liking where it was heading until I redid the plaster, and then realized I'd pushed it too far with that. I think if I bring the stucco bit back a bit, the rest will fit together better.

I'm going to get into seams more with decals, this was just laying out the basics, but you're totally right. Thanks for the crit.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta lose that crazy rock texture or whatever it is, seems completely out of place. This looks like a big step back from your last shot to me.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really? huh. I was going for the 60's style rock veneer they put on everything. . . What's so horrible about it to you? I can certainly chuck it, just seemed like the walls needed to have something other than stucco on them.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It just looks like you slaped some stone walkway texture on it, with a really blured normal map(like the depth of the surface is half a foot, yet its completely flush with the other materials, looks real strange).... uhhh, dead tired, need sleep so sorry if this doesnt make sense
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, haven't had a chance to work on anything.

This is what I was going for with the rock wall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neocles/2294952151/

I think it would help sell the 60's feel if I can pull it off. Is there some way to do this RIGHT? or am I totally fucked and should just pull it?

Input from anyone would be appreciated.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think its your choice of material that is wrong, I get what you're trying to do with the stone. But the lighting in the diffuse texture that is counter acting your scene lighting. The best photo-sourced textures are ones taken on an overcast day. Tons of ambient light, very little direct light or harsh shadows.

You can't expect lighting in the diffuse to not wreck our scene lighting when its ripped from a photo taken on a sunny day, then flipped upside down. If you have any lighting in the diffuse at all it needs to flow with the scene not fight it.

And the dirt pass was overkill. It looks like the inside of a prison after 3 years of rioting, there's sh!t all over. You should restrict some of that damage to areas that would make sense, instead of applying blanket damage that flows right under major pieces.

Also the rock you picked is more like a blown up walkway paver instead of the faux 60's slate you have in the latest ref.

If you want that material, you'll need to do one of three things:
    - Hand paint/retouch the texture to exclude the direct lighting.
    - Find a new source as the base of your texture. I suggest not using the innertube and shoot some ref yourself with a good quality camera on an overcast day. (like that will ever happen) or be very selective about where and who you get your material ref from... <cough> cgtextures.com<cough>...
    - Create it from scratch using Filter Forge or Genetica
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Thats pretty washed out looking. You might get some decent results with this

http://www.culturedstone.com/stonecad/

http://www.culturedstone.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=12

Has a decent library of tiling textures you could use as a base to start from or just a guide to z brush a good pattern. I use it quite a bit for viz stuff.

Good start man keep after it.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, good feedback, but I think other things might be going on.

Tis true I use CGtextures and Environment-textures.com for some of my stuff, I also use my own photos for some. This image actually came from Environment-Textures.com

I thikn it's rather clearly a wall in the image, but maybe after I tilized it, and tinted down the grout it got confusing.

2649757973_eacbbdefc8_o.jpg

As for the lighting in the diffuse. . . I don't think there really is any, but I think I have a bounce light in the scene that's fucking stuff up.

I'll play around with some stuff tonight, simplify the lighting, and post the actual textures.

Thanks for the crits Vig, that helped me understand better what EQ was talking about.

Thanks for the links IronHawk!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so here's the same shot, rendered with a simple skylight.

2651940810_0fae464158_o.jpg

Better? Worse? Same?

Here's the texture, and normal map. Admittedly it was a very quick job on the normal map.

2651115079_e828bb968c_o.jpg

So. . . give up on this? I'll play around some tonight, assuming I can even handle sitting at my desk. . . it's 102 inside here and the AC's busted, yeesh!

maybe something more like this?
    Wall_Three_rivers_ledgers.jpg

Edit: Alright, I toned down the grime a bit:
    2651191969_4e4139144a_o.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the lighter grout in the initial ref a lot more, it reads better imo. What you have there now kind of makes it look like mud, which in turn makes it look like a floor texture. You lose a lot of the crispness of the orig. ref as well. One thing i've learned over the years is to stick with good source, dont edit it for the sake of editing, a lot of creating a good texture is just finding great source. I'll search for hours trying to find the right source instead of trying to polish off bad source. The brush you used to mask off the grout looks a little blurry and unnatural, and leaves some wierd dark edges around some of the bricks that make them look like they have a black glow filter or something applied to them.

Now onto the normals.

What you've got here is too blurry again, your forms are all very large, but in your ref these rocks have very crisp shapes to them. You dont need to try and reinvent the rocks just to make the normals more apparent, normals can be subtle and still look good =) So i would suggest going back to cb, and turning the large and very large scale detail way down, and working a bit more with a slight shape analis, the small and medium detail stuff. Often times i'll render out a large scale normal from cb, and then a small scale normal and either blend them together, or mask certain areas off etc.

Then the small scale detail, a lot of hte small little details you have in your normals really should only be in the color map, or only very slightly in the normals. Those little paterns and such are mostly just color, not actually shape, but from the normals you have there it looks like they are large indents and such. To fix this i often find myself just painting 127,127,255 directly over the trouble areas, but there is probabbly a better way, maybe render out a large scale normals from cb, with NO small scale and very little medium scale and use a larer mask to mask off some of those small details and tone them down a bit....

Anyway, hope that helps you out man.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, good crits EQ, thanks!

Ya, the Normals were definitely just a quick, rough job, and I planned to get back to them, just haven't yet. . . I guess it's that time. Good tips, I'll play around with it tomorrow and repost.

Edit: Or, you know. . . I'll just do some quick shit now, because I'm like that:

2652331218_800aa051a1_o.jpg

2652331126_2d1fe56c2b_o.jpg

Obviously, the lighting in the render isn't showing the new normal at all, but I'm too tired to deal with lighting right now, so I'll screw around with it again tomorrow.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup I like the lighter grout, much better.

You need something for the dirt to contrast with, some clean parts that show what it should look like. When everything is dirty and damaged it starts to become just noise.

Motels are normally covered in stucko, wood degrades quickly making stucko a low maintenance option. Also these places have been around a while and painted every few years. I see one layer of thin paint. That might be ok on some new upgrades but pieces that have been around a while especially wooden pieces will have quite a bit of caked on paint.

Also remember that you can use decals for weathering water stains, dirt and as patches to cover up tiling parts.

The sky light is working much better then the previous lighting. You might want to look into setting up a light dome instead of a sky light they render faster. A nice script for doing that is E-Light Dome great little script. I think there are some updates from various other people I think they're up on scriptspot.com

I'm a little tossed up about doing paint overs now but I think in this case it will help. Paint Over
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I'll be assuming you're using Max here.

First of all, set the filtering to catmull-rom (F10 > Renderer tab > filter (next to anti-aliasing).

Don't use skylights when you want to show off normal mapped stuff, better to use multiple ray-tracing omnis instead.

As for the actual piece, the geometry is fine but boring. Top and bottom are exactly the same (ok, it's modular, but still) and the entire thing is just too symmetrical.

The textures are what really lets this piece it down IMO. Might want to use more simple, cleaner textures instead.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I actually agree completely. I haven't done any decals for the grime and such yet, as I wanted to get to a point where I was happy with the underlying materials first.

Vig, I agree with the layers of paint thing. I'm just not terribly certain how to make it look like there ARE layers of paint on top of a board, versus a single layer of paint? Is the normal map just blurrier? is there a second color that shows up in places where the top coat has worn down? I admit fully that texture PAINTING is not my strong suit. I can fiddle with blending modes and source images alright, but I'm a shitty painter. While I would love to get this kind of look on the wood, I'm not certain how to go about it. I think a big problem is I want it to look old, and run down, maybe abandoned. So I want the paint to be peeling and such, but often my attempts to make peeling paint on wood, turn into generic grimy noise. Anyway, I'll go texture shooting this weekend and see if I can find what I want.

I'll try the light dome thing.

I know it's boring, and I have no expectation to win the comp, it was more of a kick in the ass to do something I've wanted to do for a while. I think a lot of the interest will come from the rest of the scene, which won't really fit into the competition's constraints, so I'm not bothering with them for now.

In any event, thanks for the tips and paint over, that's all very useful, and I do appreciate it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    DAMN
    MOTHER
    FUCKER
    THAT
    SHIT
    IS
    TIGHT*

*i quite like the white grout
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    ooohhh keeeeey adam :)

besides what others is saying about smaller textures/pieces of your scene i think one of the bigger problems with your piece is that you havnt really got the different elements of your texture to blend in togheter really well. think u need to work on some transitions and also som larger scale dirt nd grime.

this is a really bad paintover but you know. i just try to tie it all togheter a bit more.

tumer.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, didn't have much time tonight, but used the E-Light thing Vig posted (cool maxscript btw, though I don't know if it was actually any faster to render than the skylight, but it does show the normals)

I touched up some on the stucco and the plywood, and added a VERY simple corner grime (I'll work on it more tomorrow night)

2654407105_4abaa99395_o.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looking better. I think you should dirty up the stones a little, especially the white. Not darken, per se, but grungy a little bit.

Is Adam on a drinking binge or something?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omugawd

dude thats amazing work!
    i personally liked the wood with less 'yellow' in it, but its brilliant either way

can't wait to see it donez!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, all the white has turned yellow, I'm going to deal with that tonight. And I agree about dirtying the rock. Hopefully I'll get to a point soon where I can start adding in the details. Thanks for all the help and words of encouragement guys!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, made a little progress tonight.

desaturated the stucco and plywood.
    Tried to dirty up the white grout, without making it too dark. Added streaks and the like. . . not sure how I feel about it at this point.
    Started puting basic textures on the downspouts, gutters, AC units, lights, and parking uh. . . deelies. All of these are just a start, and I will be redistributing damage to logical corners and such.

2658134604_5c438cd82e_o.jpg
  • miss_cinnamon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has come so far since your first post, congrats! I know its a detail pass thing, but what this really needs are some cheesy door numbers, maybe one of them hanging upside down...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cinnamon!

Little more done.

2659726519_2aa28ac3ab_o.jpg

And Adam demanded a wireframe. . .

2660554138_2f542d6527_o.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Are those polys/decals for the parking lines, and dirt/fake AO standard practice for this type of thing? I think its a great idea, I just don't see how it could be useful in something like an engine. Do you line that up with the grid as an object or would you use a decal actor (for say UE3)?

Looks pretty awesome. I love the beach style you need a big camper van with some surf boards on the roof parked in that parking lot!
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    starting to come togheter man, gj! i like the broken tiles in the roof, nice detail.

now go do something about that asphalt texture so u get some consistency in your pixels/cm! :)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL agreed. . . I'm not really sure what to do. I want the asphalt to be cracked/old. Right now, it's my biggest texture (1024) covering the whole thing, with cracks included in the diffuse. Obviously that's not going to work.

I'll try making a smaller tiling version of the underlying asphalt, and then a small tiling crack decal maybe? If you have a better idea, please let me know.

I'm also curious how poeple paint grass planes. I wan there to be grass (just low stuff) groing through the cracks in places. I haven't been able to find a good picture of what I want, that would be usable for texture. I'm going to try and go find it IRL today or tomorrow, but may end up just painting it, so if anyone has brilliant grass painting ideas, tell me.

Thanks
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i cant find the original tutorial for the method i use for grass so i remade it in a simplified format. Credits to the original author if anyone recognizes it.

grasstutorial.jpg

Things are looking good with this, i think you could break it up even more by changing the color on the drainpipe so it doesn't blend it as much with the railing
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Are each of the ceiling tiles MODELED?????
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Are each of the ceiling tiles MODELED?????

I bet the level is made for Alien vs Predator! Need some more ceiling climbing :)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks neat and cool tutorial there! As for the tiles, it looks quite poly heavy. Could you not just normal map the tiles that aren't jutting out, and add the ones that are, as separate?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using 15,238 tris for my ceiling tiles. . . that seems reasonable to me, no?

Yes, they're all beveled once, no they don't all have sides and backs, and yes I am planning on normal mapping the creases instead, just haven't gotten to it yet.

AVP2 was one of the greatest games of all time, so you shut your mouth!

Small update:
    2661650377_0695fd782a_o.jpg

re-cornerized it, re-stairized it, grassized it, and fiddled with the parking lot minorly.

I just remapped the parking lot texture to half the size to see how it would look, but I'll probably still go back to tiling with degals, we'll see.

MikeF cool grass tut. I made these the best way I've known how so far, using fade on my brush, and drawing little lines similar to your crescent, and tehn gradienting them, and giving them a couple of layer styles to separate them from eachother a bit. Anyway, it was quick and dirty, so they're too dark and kind of funky right now. But I'll work on it.

Going to keep tweaking some things, but need to get started on the little details, fire extinguisher, ice machine, etc.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So. . . I'm getting this weird UV stretching in viewport all of a sudden (don't know what started it).
    2663649673_d7bc977ee6_o.jpg

If I render the viewport (or camera) the stretching isn't ACTUALLY there, only in viewport. On top of that, if I do certain things, like apply a UVW Unwrap, the stretching goes away, but then as soon as the Unwrap is collapsed, the stretching comes back.

Doesn't seem to go away by restarting the program. Haven't restarted my computer yet.

Anyone have any idea wtf is going on!?

thanks
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    If you have the Uvs on top of each other maybe two vertrs have been welded together in the UVW unwrap? Strange since it only shows up in instances.