Home Contests & Challenges Archives

"Mod Facade" Challenge - EQ -Building Facade

So, as i said in the other post, this is what i'll be tackling. Its nothing fancy, but i think its a perfect candidate for a nice modular asset.

buildingshouseold0104sdo2.jpg

I did a little brainstorming here, the first thing i like to do when starting a modular piece is plan out my uvs. Usually i have a pretty strick limit on how to use my textures(generally putting everything on one, gasp!) so its very very important to have a good mental image of how you want everything layed you before you do any work at all, to keep from having to redo things because you didn't plan for enough space etc. I'm actually going to split these textures up into a couple sheets, probably one large on for my main tiles, then one for the door/windows, and one for more misc props and such. I drew up a quick little sketch(i prefer to do this on paper or whiteboard! so excuse the shity quality).

lolwutry4.jpg

The next step from here would be to block out very simple geometry, just to nail down the proportions, and do some test uv's to make sure i havent done anything stupid, giving to much or too little space to anything. Generally i like to get around 1024 pixels per story, or per 12-15 feet(4-5 meters?) or so.

After i've got everything blocked out, test it out in game to make sure the scale isnt totally off i'll start creating any highpoly geometry that i'll need. I try to force myself to do ALL of the highpoly assets first. If you get caught up doing one section highpoly, then low, then uv, then bake, and repeating that process a number of times it can REALLY slow you down. You want to try and set it up so you do all the highpoly assets, and then all the low, and then just one bake, etc. That will save a lot of time and i wish i could actually force myself to always do this, because it can be a bad habit to get antsy and want to start on your lows etc too early.

I'll try to post more shots along the way and go a little more in-depth at each step.

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, now we're talking. Nice little bits of information.
    I like the way you have the piece brainstormed.
    So the left squares on the drawing are one big texture, right? 1024 width X 2048 height. Yes? and they all tile horzontaly? Im getting this right yes?
    The other part is 2 1024 textures, yes?
    Makes perfect sense.
    Also, the workflow tip on making all the hipoly parts first makes sense. Im hooping to learn more from this thread.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    Ok, now we're talking. Nice little bits of information.
    I like the way you have the piece brainstormed.
    So the left squares on the drawing are one big texture, right? 1024 width X 2048 height. Yes? and they all tile horzontaly? Im getting this right yes?
    The other part is 2 1024 textures, yes?
    Makes perfect sense.
    Also, the workflow tip on making all the hipoly parts first makes sense. Im hooping to learn more from this thread.

Yep that sounds about right. I'll be trying something a little different here than i usually do at work, i tend to make my base texture only about as wide as 1 unit(in this case i would call the window width a unit, the space between windows 1 unit, etc). But as that can result in some pretty poor tiling, or lack of detail, i'm going to be using basicly double that, so halfway between each window(the window + .5 units on each side) will be my basis for my tiling pieces here. Normally this would be a bit of a concern, because it would limit you to only having very thick pieces, but since i don't plan on anything but that in this case it should be fine.

Heres an image that shows this a little better, the reason why i would normally use a smaller unit is so the set could have more flexibility in where you place things, the larger your base unit is, the less variation you can get out of placement.

unitsal5.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so let me see if i understand. You usually make your base texture (that will tile along the horizontal axis) with 1 unit width in size , but now you are gonna go for almost double of that. gonna go for 1.5 units. Is that so you can have more texture detail for the tiling? didn't get that last part so well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [20:47] EarthQuake: now a cool thing i will be able to do, is offset the uvs on each of the stories a little bit
    [20:47] EarthQuake: so that you dont get the same detail tiling in the same place
    [20:47] bitmap: like. under the same storie?
    [20:47] EarthQuake: like, for the 2nd story ther eyou know
    [20:47] bitmap: yes
    [20:48] EarthQuake: i'll take those uvs for the base tile texture, and offset them all like .25 to the right
    [20:48] bitmap: yeah
    [20:48] EarthQuake: and the detail that would be hidden behind the windows on the lower story will be visible then
    [20:48] bitmap: so they start tiling on a diferent position of the X axix
    [20:48] bitmap: axis
    [20:48] EarthQuake: also i'll probabbly make the tile a little taller than 1 unit
    [20:49] EarthQuake: so that i can have a small amount of unique deail on the very bottom, that i'll use only for the 1st story
    [20:49] bitmap: fuck
    [20:49] bitmap: so many tipsssss
    [20:49] bitmap: TIPS
    [20:49] bitmap: w8
    [20:49] EarthQuake: since i'm seperating everything with trims, i can do a lot of cool things here
    [20:49] bitmap: must be with a z
    [20:49] bitmap: TIPZZ
    [20:49] EarthQuake: lulz
    [20:50] bitmap: i wanna put a straw in yo' brainzz
    [20:50] bitmap: and suck it like there's no tomorrow
    [20:50] EarthQuake: DONT YOU DARE TRY AND DRINK MY MILKSHAKE
    [20:50] bitmap: kekekekekeke
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thanks for the usefull info :)
  • CIgano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap's too portuguese
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, that crazy mexican has a way with the keyboard...

EQ, less chat more splat!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolol
    i knew this would come and bite me in the ass.. azz lul
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    wait, are you using silver pen?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it was some green shiney pen or something, grabbed it off my gf's desk, was pretty shity for taking a pic =P
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for explaining this stuff man. Now if i can oly gat my freaking machine to work again.

Alex
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome tips here, dude and a nice start on the texture layout.

-caseyjones
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    MoP wrote: »
    wait, are you using silver pen?
    designing
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, i've got a couple things done so far.

I blocked out the basic proportions that i'll need for my base materials, made sure uvs worked with everything i wanted to do etc. Got a good start on the texture, next up i'll probabbly model out the highres trims, and bake them down, then start blocking out all the features, windows, doors, props etc and then start making the final set of highpoly assets that i'll need.

building01bq2.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    cool stuff EQ. Nice logical layout. Only thing I'd crit is the bottom trim work looks a little more bleached white in the reference.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    That's pretty awesome, and minimalist (geometry-wise). Just curious, but will you be bevelling the lowpoly? or relying on the normal maps to catch edge highlights? I'm still a little lost on the high-low relationship...
  • CIgano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love that texture, how much of it is photosourced? only suggestion I could give would be put it some deep reds and browns on the darker areas and possibly use to vary the hue of the sidewalk a bit more, as of now it's resembling the wall too much in terms of colour, imo
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iron: yeah, that will probably get a bit more tweaking, it will be a balanced between looking like the ref and finding a value that doesn't get blown out from the lighting.

lotek: I'll be adding more geometry to a few parts, the top trim will get some more love when i have the highpoly worked out, the curbs will get some curve to them and i'll probabbly extrude some white lower trim area a tiny bit as well. I may add in some slight imperfections etc as a final pass as well, just cut in a little more geometry and wiggle it around a bit =)

cigano: Oh i dont know, about 90% sourced? With lots of work going into blending multiple sources together, editing out tiling artifacts ect, and a small amount of hand painting. gogo www.cgtextures.com !
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    And the lord said onto thee: God DAMN!
    Ezekiel 2:13
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    hey joe, cool looking, although I second the lower trim comment, I'd say the best may be to make a clean one and then texture a small strip with broken bricks/stone and model that out directly would be easier that way to avoid any tiling and get some nice unique details on each module, plus that same broken brick could be used on the cracks on the walls, etc, just my 2 cents tho, not a cratez master :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh looking good, nice splat so far.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Not to sound like I'm asking you on a date or anything, but thanks for posting all process details in your thread. Really helpful.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty good earthquake i like youre post planing for this project. I might do something similar.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    man, gotta turn the lights on in the room before taking photos of your sketchbook! :) or put it in something for some bounce lights. heh.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was gonna try and get some serious work done here today but all i managed to do is stare at my vines, which i might not even use for this. loles
    vinesbn9.gif
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    some damn nice vines, sir. Use 'em!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you dont use em, you're prolly crazy
    j/k

seriously though, they're too amazing to go without them, once made.

how'd you get them done though?
    like, i just wanna see / know what gets em lookin so great.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    either way dude that thread in tech talk was priceless. never realized it was possible to do a normal map with just lighting. cool vines weather you use them or not.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    im curious how you made em too if you dont mind giving us a short rundown.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    oh boy...those are some sick looking leaves/shrubs

what are we seeing tho....is this a progression of the work or the different layers or somthin?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, first off i think it was MikeBart who i first saw do this, i'm pretty sure thats where i got the idea, been meaning to do it for quite some time now.

Most of the work is done using this awesome free app: http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/ I generated a few variations here and exported them, and then did the following:

1. Arranged each variation in a single file for easy baking

2. Modifidied the normal map that comes with the base content a little, otherwise i used the textures you can download on that website.

3. Set up a scene in max, with the alpha applied and the normal map applied(to get the small details to bake. I added sub-division to the branch geometry because it comes out a little jagged.

4. Followed the tutorial here: http://www.bencloward.com/tutorials_normal_maps11.shtml for setting up a special scene to render normals, red/green/blue light thing. That turned out to provide a pretty good normals map from just doing a standard scanline render with an ortho camera.
    I used the method because i was having problems getting the alphas to work correctly using render to texture.

5. Applied the diffuse textures and set the materials to self-illum, and deleted the lights so i could render out just the diffuse textures with no lighting. And then also did a render with the leaves white and the branches black to get a mask, to make for easily editing the different materials later.

6. Set up a scene using lighttracer in the same way you would if you were doing RTT for ambocc.

7. Composited all the diffuse/ao etc stuff in ps, tweaking/color correcting and adding color variation.

Heres a pic showing the final diffuse map, and then the various textures that were baked.

leaveprocessdh8.jpg

This was a pretty good experiment, it ended up a bit flatter than i would like, i think it would be cool to maybe do a few layers of this stuff, maybe a branch layer, and then a few variations of a 3-4 leaves that i pile on top to build up some depth, so i may try to do that sometime too. As it is now i added a simple hieght map and threw on some parrallax to give it a little bit more depth, that seems to have worked. Gotta see how it looks from player perspective on monday =D
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks good EQ!
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    stop vine:ing about progress and get to work (hoho)

looks nice tho. have u tried running them through crazybump overlayin that nm to what u got now? might give some interesting results in the category "random normal noise" :)
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlackThief polycounter lvl 17
    don't want to hijack your thread even more, just want to encourage you to take this a little further.

I was experimenting with the same appplication about 1 1/2 years ago and got pretty decent results with it.
    I set up the generator to make few but bigger leaves and made 2 custom textures with several leaves on them instead of one. Then I used the branches to bake the normal- and alphamap.
    After that I exported the leaves (at around 2,5k tris) and optimized them by hand down to 1k tris,
    looking like that:
    branch_textures.jpg

The whole thing looked pretty decent imho even with doom3's crap lighting and could have a lot more life and depth in it, if you'd give the leaves some motion...

mansion_wip2.jpg

So with a better engine and probably a little more love this technique could make pretty convincing ivy I guess....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah cool, thats definitely a good way to do it as well. Can you post wires of your final geo?
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Used this method a couple times, seemed to work, for more crawling vine stuff I'd just make sure the ends of the hangy bits connect rather then hang in mid air. Don't have to split up the texture like this, just used as an example to show the shapes...

hangingleavesyb6.th.jpg
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Can you post wires of your final geo?

redish is branches geo, greenish stuff leaves
    ivy_wires.jpg

I think one of the main advantages of this app is definitely, that you can import your whole building geometry and let the ivy grow along it, around the edges etc, which gives it a much more dynamic feel than just plain flat along a plain wall...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, the only real negative i see to using a bunch of planes is that you dont get the highquality ambocc with it. I guess you could do a 2nd uv channel lm for it, but wouldnt get the same results.
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well yes you could just bake it onto the same texture (maybe other channel) together with the branches.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i demand more updates!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    your vines are pretty.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Nice vines! So i take it we can use alphas? it wasnt stated in the brief so was unsure about that one.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, yes alphas are definatily ok.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    That ivy what did you do? Did you take the high poly plant and baked them on the low poly plant? How easy what it to unwrap the low poly one with all that shrub everywhere?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wrote a break-down of my entire process, maybe you should read that?
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Hey EQ is there a reason you didn't use the guruware plugin derived from that ivy gen application? It's for 3dsmax and available here...

http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html

I was just curious if you found the standalone better for your purposes, maybe it's more stable or further developed?

Thanks for taking the time to do the break down and including the links to resources and info, really helpful.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont use max =)
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Haha Doh! I'm a little slow heh heh. Thanks again for the write up.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should finish this shit eq
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea... damn... where are my updates ? :( i was watching this like a ninja but i gotta get in here and say i miss you!