Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer Building

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
timwiese polycounter lvl 9
Here is an environment I am working on for a class. I am working from a concept from Warhammer.

WAR_Reikland-2.jpg

BG3.jpg
BGWire.jpg

The building is 3100 Polys. Any critiques are welcome, I am trying to make this a good portfolio piece.
The building uses two 2048x2048 diffuse, spec and normals. I could prolly go to 1024x1024 and not lose any quality (from this distance), but because i am going to be doing an animation with close up zooms I am keeping them high Res.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically you have most of the pieces in but their scale and relationship to each other is off. The ground and surrounding area is nothing like the concept and really needs an upgrade.

The materials need to be gone back over as everything looks very new. The photochopped sky looks pretty bad in with all the hand painting.

In the concept the smoke choking out of the stacks looks to be contributing to the overall environment haze, not so in the scene. In fact very little haze at all. The sky even reads as non hazy and the 3D part definite has zero haze to it. Read up on Z-Depth Maps and try to work some of their common uses, into your scene.

The water color is off, in the concept its a putrid green, you have a color closer to what you'd see in the NE or NW of the united states.

There is very little dilapidation in your scene. Most of the lines except for the roof are straight and pristine. The pieces of dilapidation you do have, lack weight. The concept has things clearly braced as if they are about to topple over, beams and support straining and buckling to hold the weight. What you have looks like it would be fine without the support.

You've got some work ahead of you if you want to turn this into a portfolio piece. Best of luck, hope that helps!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Post your flats. Add a ton of weatheration. See my PM.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I think this looks neat. Any chance of closeup shots?

It is a little flat looking though. The concept got a lot more contrast.
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your geometry looks a little funny to me. I see areas where you're keeping sections together when they could easily be two separate floating elements saving you from driving an edge loop all the way around the piece. Specifically the section of the factory where the logs are entering looks like it could be broken up to save some triangles.

In your render it looks like you just have your diffuse showing I’m not seeing any benefits of a normal or spec map. Also I think you could push the colors a lot more follow the concept at least for the copper pipes and fixtures that orange color bothers me.

Good luck it looks like it has a lot of potential.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I thought the second picture what a painting. I would up the contrast for the lighting. Warhammer is grim and dark. Upping the contrast of the lighting would help a lot.

Keep pushing.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on this, taking a lot of your suggestions into account.

BG4.jpg

The Terrain still needs plenty of work and I think I will go about making the rocky shore a different way because the way I have it now just doesn't look right at all. The texturing is still in progress on the copper parts there are details I have yet to add there. And I am working on getting a specular map for the copper areas that will make it look more like metal. I will post my texture flats in my next post.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Looking a lot better :) Try doing a spec map pass and get those metals looking better. I think it just needs a lot more localized detail.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh looking much better, still some work to do but MUCH much better.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    i find myself looking at the bottom of the building most. A well defined entry way, door, anything to tell me scale will sell this alot more. The windows up top and water entrance is really the only thing for scale, and since im not really looking there, its not selling it (for me). fun building tho, i like the sagging roof and such, has a "used" feel to it, with out slapping typical grung all over it.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting further along with this. Still more I am going to work on but probably mostly minor tweaks unless there are any major issues people feel i should address.

BG4-1.jpg

And here are the texture flats, these are a scaled down version so i didn't take up too much space on the page.
    texture2.jpg
    texture1.jpg

The second texture was tough to arrange the UV's to make use of the whole UV space, So it has some noticable wasted space.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Oh dear. Tim, I hate to break this to you, but you're doing it wrong. You should have tiled your textures. This is a large environment piece, not a character. You should have a tiling brick, roof tile, wood, chimney brick and a few custom pieces where required. I STRONGLY advise you to start over your texturing process and learn to do it correctly. Ask all the questions you need and continue in this thread.

This is why I asked for your flats from the start. I thought I saw this coming and I could have saved you a lot of wasted time earlier one. Don't give up though, it can still work! Also model in a LOT more detail, you're going to have to. Think of this piece from a player's scale, NOT recreating the concept angle only.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I will just keep this copy for my class then and continue to work on it and redo the way I did the textures (and add more detail into the model). I guess that's what I get for only ever learning to texture characters. I'm going to have to learn how to add details and dirt in specific areas while using a tiled textures because that is all new to me.

Well It isn't really a big deal for me I have enjoyed working on this, and if I have to redo it to make it right then it lets me work on it more.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    timwiese wrote: »
    Ok I will just keep this copy for my class then and continue to work on it and redo the way I did the textures (and add more detail into the model). I guess that's what I get for only ever learning to texture characters. I'm going to have to learn how to add details and dirt in specific areas while using a tiled textures because that is all new to me.

Well It isn't really a big deal for me I have enjoyed working on this, and if I have to redo it to make it right then it lets me work on it more.

Good attitude to have. Redo's can suck but when the final result looks better its always worth it.