Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ageing Process Animation

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
[Update 4]
Finally had some time to work more on it, here is the old head stage and the "about to die" head stage. ;)
veryold.jpg

I mostly used my hogarth ref for the last head stage, couldnt find much good reference:
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/veryoldref.jpg

[Update 3]
I have worked on a old head stage:
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/ageingoldnew.jpg
Stiill need to get rid of the symmetrie and i will go later in a higher sidv to make the folds nicer. Also Changed the head shape on this.

Here is the ref i gathered, im sure someone here can put them also in good use. :)
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/ageing-actors.jpg
(yeah indianna jones is 65 years old! :D)
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/seanconnery.jpg
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/harrisonford.jpg

[Update 2]
I have made the newborn and the baby head and i also have done a new test ani, again the timing is not right and the eyes are missing because the whole ani thing is not easy to do in zbrush. Anyway here is the ani, its very fast but you can use the timeline contol to get slower through it.
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/0to30.mov
In the final ani, i will probably let the neck fade to transparent so the shoulders are not visible and i will need to get the animation a lot smoother.

ageingprocess3.jpg
highres
I changed a lot on the eyes but also changed some other things a bit to make the ageing more visible.

Im currently working on a quiet ambitious project. I want to make an animation that shows the ageing process from a new born baby to a ca 90 years old man. For that im doing the most important head ageing stages in zbrush and then make a simple morphing animation with that. I dont know yet how detailed i will make it, but its definately a bit stylized and will be without hair, most likely i will fully do it just in zbrush.

The only reference i have about the ageing process are profile drawings, of a quiet a lot ageing stages, out of my hogarths anatomy book and this small photos: http://zonezero.com/magazine/essays/diegotime/time.html

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Nobody cares but i posted an update here anyway
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    thats pretty awesome man, the video is pretty good how old can you make him?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Video highlights exactly what's wrong. Brow, cranium, and cheeks don't change at all between the varying ages, and those would be imo the most important markers to selling aging. Your structure changes a lot as a kid, maybe get some better reference? Also eyes are ridiculously crazily huge, even for stylization i think that takes away from the ability to sell aging.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ Armanguy
    Thx, i will try to age him to ca 90 years...then he dies ;)

@ Suprore
    Video highlights exactly what's wrong. Brow, cranium, and cheeks don't change at all between the varying ages,
    I really cant tell what you were watching! ;) The Cheeks changing a lot, maybe even too much. They are very pumped/big as a kid and become much smaller and harder when growing and through that the cheek bones become much more visible and get more definded. The Cranium is also changing a lot its very round and big at the start and gets more edgy and defined when he becomes adult. (the front and side views show that very good) I agree that the brows are not changing much in there shape, i will make the curvature shape more round in the kid stage.
    Your structure changes a lot as a kid, maybe get some better reference?
    Its normal that its changing a lot from a kid to a teenage because thats the timespan when everything is still growing a lot. Here is my young kid ref: http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/kids.jpg , if you have an idea where to get ref that shows ageing please let me know.
    Also eyes are ridiculously crazily huge, even for stylization i think that takes away from the ability to sell aging.
    I agree that the eyes are too huge, i started with the kid and was a bit scarred to change the eyes too much and lose the likeness through the different head stages. Thx for your crits
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Davision3D wrote: »
    The Cranium is also changing a lot its very round and big at the start and gets more edgy and defined when he becomes adult.

Scale and the corners changes a little, i guess, but the overall curve/shape is actually almost exactly the same. As a result, both the teenager and adult look somewhat babylike -- i think you're trying too hard to keep the likeness and not really considering how dramatically the head's forms should change throughout aging.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I dont think the headshape is looking somewhat babylike but yeah i could push that changing more.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love this idea man,

Starting from the bottom up I say he looks like he's about 9 years old, then 15, then 20's-early 30's so far.

Gonna be a bit of work but I think it's worth it keep on trucking, no critics.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think the eyes wouldnt weird me out so much if the iris and pupil werent gigantic, although I still think that the eyes overall are too big on the older versions. On the younger version, the eye size is alright. Since I realize that the eyes stay the same size and the head grows out larger around it rather than eyes shrinking as you get older, I think you need to make older versions with larger heads when compared to the younger versions.

Have you ever compared a little kids ahead to an adults head? Big difference in size.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're doing a very nice job and I'm eager to see the final results.

You've already mentioned the main issues, so there's not much to critique, as it looks like a fine model, especially for a more artistic point of view.
    :)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    thats a neat concept actually... makes me want to do it too.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think the biggest problem is in the eyes like Aesir stated. Eyeballs dont change size with age, but the skull does, spreading them apart aso.
  • pyuupyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Davision! I am making a boy sculpt as well. This is from an anatomy book i use, it might help.
    anatomiemh7.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Yeah i really need to change the eyes. The problem was also that i defined the head sizes later on and i had no ref about the head size changeing. But now i have some good ref about that, thx a lot pyuupyuu!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Updated first post, also with a new test animation.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Focus on defining planes and mid level forms. Things are way too soft now. For example, the top of the head is way too smooth and ball-like on the mature man. I agree that the eyes on the older guy need work too. Nice job so far!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Updated first post

@doc rob
    Yeah mid level forms are subtle, im not very stylized what that, but let me know what else could need more definition.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i really cant tell what "style" you want to achieve, right now it seems a weird mix between an attempt at realism and cartoony, i would study better references because this suffers from actual observation about it , not trying to bring you down cause i really dig the idea, and also this is something ambitious , are you planning on doing how many more heads ??
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    in your latest update (and from what i can tell from the previous iterations aswell) the thing that buggs me is that the front looks very good, and the side looks really really weird.. his chin looks pinched somehow and his forehead is huge and squary. the back of the head sticks out pretty far aswell, the placement of the ear might have something to do with that. (look in the mirror, your ear is about 2/3 to the back of the head).
    I hope this helps and that it improves your (very cool) project!
    keep it up!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    that kid has huge cheeks....
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Updated the first post

@ Johny
    Might be a lot influenced by Hogarths style because i use his work a lot as reference. This are now the amount of heads that i will use for the ani, will make a quick test first and see if i need more head stages for a good morph animation.

@ Japhir
    I tweaked his chin and also made the ears more to the back, thx the help.

@ Joopson
    yeah you right, will tweak that when i have all the heads together.

When i have them all in one file i will also breack up the symmetry and make the eyes less stare.

Sry for the late reply, have forgotten to do it.