Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Duke Nukem

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
movento polycounter lvl 17
Hey polycounters, i'm working on a duke nukem fanmodel and need your professional advice on how to make better. It's my first complete character i used normal maps on.I think i'm doing the specular map all wrong.
Here's the wip spec map (sized down from a 2048x2048 map)
specsmallsm6.jpg
here's the model

dukemodelxv1.jpg

Replies

• 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    alter the mouth , and make less glossy .
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    For skin on a spec map you usualy go with a blue hue. Blue for a more lifelike shine on the skin. Try and stay clear of just darkening the diffuse.

The model itself could use a lot more reference and tweaking. As it stands it looks pretty boxy and a lot of the loops aren't doing much to define the sillouette. Look at some good references for the face too, there is loads of Duke fan models and art to choose from.

keep at it.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try not to jump into the smaller details until you've got the larger part of the model done.

As said above some of your loops don't do much to the silhouette. He's a pretty muscular guy so would his thighs be wider maybe? Post up a side view too, he does look boxy but it's hard to tell from just one angle.
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    close. but no cigar'
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    you forgot the cigar!
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    I agree about adding to the silhouette. I would look at pictures of bodybuilders and stuff and really emphasize those kind of proportions. In my opinion, a little over-exaggerated is usually better than not exaggerated enough, especially with someone like Duke Nukem. Right now he looks like more of a regular guy who is trying to be like Duke Nukem. It may just be me, but the arms look a little too short.

The normals of the wrinkles on the shirt look pretty good. Keep at it. Do him justice.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments.Didn't have much time to work on it today =/
    I made his arms a bit longer and did some tweaks here and there,but it still needs work. I changed the spec of his skin to a blue tone but even when i really darked it it still shows up really shiny in maya.Maybe it has something to do with the settings.
    Also,i got some bugs in my normal map wich cause the model to look like the flatshaded lowpoly mesh in some area's. Any idea's to solve this?
    updatecu6.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today i made an ambient occlusion map and worked on my diffuse,still need to add some shadows from his straps and pouches.And i'll make a pose with a cigar when i'm done =)
    update2iu7.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update,i buffed him up and changed the normals of his arms and crotch a bit
    I also deleted some loops that weren't doing much as you guys said.
    i28222_dukewire.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    My biggest crit right now is that it seems like you are relying too much on the normals, you gotta give your skin some love man. It's just 1 flat colour right now, and feels very boring.

I do like how you bulked him up a bit, but it still feels like the proportions are off... I don't know if the length of the arms are a bit short, something just doesn't look / feel right.

Also, can you show us a side view, I think you should pull some of the front verts of your leg out a bit, specifically your thighs, cause they look super flat right now. Your have some edge loops in your shoes that aren't doing anything right now to the overall silhouette, please form it more into a foot shape, and lengthen the feet a bit as well.

You have some solid mesh flow though for the most part, just make sure you are using it to your advantage :)

Keep it up buddy!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    your shirt and pant texture is stretching and warping all over the place.... this is simply because your UV's arnt layed out properly to have a tiling fabric texture placed on it.

This might sound a bit harsh, but id suggest instead of trying to force this one to work. try making a new model. something else, that you can use all these crits from the get go, instead of back tracking over and over again.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think the main problem is you seem to be using a 2048x2048 texture on a model that doesn't need anything over 512x512. Sorry but I just cant see how you will put that resolution to good use, as its alreay looking like a big mess of noise. A lot of your local work is on details that are so small they will be hard to see even on a huge res texture, so those need re thinking as well.

Honestly, try at a lower res first, and go from there, you may not only find it easier but that it looks better on the model.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, also, this mesh is really suffering from a bad texture ration. Looking at it, the belt buckle is almost as big as the head on the UV map? Not good.

Ue a black/white checked texture as your UV map and scale everything so that the squares appear the same size all over. It helps fix warping on your texture, and also keeps things the same scale. You may be able to squeze a little extra space from your UV map.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These comments really help me,thanks for that.

JasonLavoie: I tried to do something with the skin texture,not sure how good/bad it is now. I'm not really happy about the proportions either,even though i changed the arms it still feels off.I worked on his shoes also.

stimpack: Don't most people post their work here to improve it?

DKK : i made his arm longer now.

viewportgrab.jpg

odium: You are right, a 2048 was kinda large for this model. Is a 1024x1024 better? Most normal mapped game characters i see that are around 5000-6000 tri's have a 1024 texture.
    About the texture ration, i see what you mean. .I feel that the eye uv is still kinda big but i had free space to make ,is it ok then? i'm a real noob at uvmaps and textures lol.

diffuse1024rt4.th.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be blunt here, so I'm sorry. Looking at the model you have, I could make the same with about 800 polies, not 6,000. So I honestly can't see how you would have that many in use? Remember that a local maps there to fake geo, it cant do everything, but it CAN help a great deal. It almost looks as though those pockets on the belt are chamfered? They should be simple boxes. The bullets are another big problem area for me, I think you should reduce them a hell of a lot, and not model the bullet holder, let the local map take care of that.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a long time since i updated this thread.I did some other work and remodeled some parts of this model.I also made a new high poly for it and redid the uv's. Here's a shot out of maya,i added a light to the scene so it doesnt look to dark.It's still around 5500 tri's though,and i already did some optimizing :(
    Is that to much for a character?
    newyb4.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge improvement, keep it up. 5 - 6k tris is fine for a character so long as they are used efficiently. Need some wireframe shots to actually crit in that department tho.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,here are the wires.I think i'm focusing to much on the official DNF model with those bullets and holders.There it looks like the holder is fully modeled.
    wireot1.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Its not too much, but look at the bullets on his belt? For some reason you are still using a 3 stacked cylinder...? They can be 1 stack and 4 sliced and you will never see any difference at all ingame.

Lets say you are using a 4 sliced cylinder there (Which I cant tell, I hope you are anyway) and you keep it stacked by 3... Thats 288 polies JUST for the bullets...

Using a 4 sliced cylinder and a single stack, it only takes up 144... Cutting the polycount in half for that area, and you can never tell ingame, or even when looking at it.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium, thanks alot for the tips.I did what you suggested on the small bullets,and now the polycount is 4262(it was 5700 before).

btw,as you can se his left arm looks inverted,however,it is not.When i inverted his left arm(so that it became wrong) the arm looked alright in maya. I'm confused ;o
    I think the larger bullets would look odd when they were 4 sided.
    whoatq5.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    great work man, it's coming along. you've put a lot into this guy, and with some small tweaks he'll be really good.

i went to the liberty of doing a quick paint over. it's quick, and there are still some proportional problems..

quicknugly.gif

oh. and i kinda fucked up the face a bit. but the lips need to be wider and there needs to be more of that duke nukem cut-ness everywhere.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the drawover,John Warner.
    I made his shoulders longer and gave his waist more shape and did some more texture work.
    Good call about the hair, i'll add some alpha planes to it.

viewsuc1.th.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From that last screenshot he doesn't seem to have any manhood!

Heres what I mean (anatomy image from here)

paintovervg6.th.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlo_c: lol
    I worked on the high poly version some more. I'm trying to make the arms more interesting
    hpdnro0.jpg
    And here's the result of the normal map.I'm having some hard edges on my model,but they aren't from the normal map and i softened all edges in maya but it's still there. Anyone knows a solution for this?
    91567490kl2.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    mouth.. wider... please!!
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally added the cigar
    All texture's are stilll WIP.
    I'd really like to fix the hard edges,but i don't know how =/(using maya i softened all edges )
    smokeemsc9.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed with John. I also think his nose should be tad wider. I also think his jaw needs some more work as well. I doesn't appear very masculine right now.

Body is coming along good though.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you get your normal map from mudbox or did you do a 'render to texture' type of thing in maya/max?

also, if you can't figure out why you're getting the hard edges...you can just open your normal map in photoshop and clone stamp them out.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol, you've made more progress with this, than 3D Realms have with theirs xD
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    so true. maybe the polycount community should team up to make an unofficial duke nukem?
    could run a 3d challenge to create various duke nukem characters..
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aldo: i generated the normal map with Xnormal. And the hard edges aren't on the normal map.
    gir: i'll see that as a compliment :d
    dejawolf: for just models that would be a good idea.

I got some crits on another forum about the anatomy being bad,so i started working on it. So crits about the anatomy would be good.
    sculptmbzh8.jpg
    sculptbog1.jpg
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think it's your anatomy, per se, but the proportions of said anatomy and a lack of a solid anatomically correct understructure for the clothes to realistically drape over. In other words, the folds in the clothes look 'wrong' and add confusion to the anatomy.

Forearms seem short/small in relation to the upper arm.

On a side note, it is probably not a good idea to try and model him with clothes, if you don't have a solid idea of what he looks like under the clothes.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forearm shape is wrong. The position you have it modeled in would indicate that the palms sould be facing forwards not down. The forearm should have a twist in it with the position the hands are in. Look at your own arm and you will see what I mean. I always make a point of modeling the lowpoly with said twist, it helps when sculpting as well as makes for more believeable animation.

The arm proportions are off too. Get some good reference and have a look. There is not much we can tell you that you shouldn't be able to see yourself. The mouth is also still not right. Look at some of the face sculpts posted on these boards and see where the muscles run and what effects they have on the skin. Your skull shape is off, without a solid understructure (does not have to be modeled, only understood) you can never hope to get a realistic looking face.

You are making a lot of headway here but you need to grasp the basics of anatomy for every aspect of the model. Look at each section as an individual part and focus on getting it right. If needs be, dig up reference for every part. You will end up with an incoheirent mess most likely on your first try but your understanding will improve.

Keep at it
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I haven´t commented on this one before but what I noticed till the last ones:
    The box modeling is veery obvious, you need to push more vertexes so that you get away from the 90° flat rectangular angles. He looks like a book shelf right now - not human which is usually based more on balls and eggs. So you need more curves in the general topology.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the skull shape and his jawline. i hope it looks better now. I'm going to get some anatomy books my cousin has to have a better understanding of it.
    Xaltar:about the forearms,you mean i should rotate them?
    8FtSpider: I'll see what i can do about the clothing,i think i need to look for more references
    renderhjs: You mean on the low poly or the high poly model?
    headshotskw6.jpg
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Large improvement. Keep at it.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    like this:
    sculptbog1ra4.jpg
    sculptbog1ra4.9c49052ca9.jpg

and

sculptmbzh8ap8.jpg
    sculptmbzh8ap8.bb24102f30.jpg

your box modeling pattern is all over the place,- you need to push some more vertexes at the base mesh,- so that you dont get the box as shape defining element- but rather more natural rounded elements.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remade the head,the old one looked ugly.I tried to make it look more like the dn3d duke.The folds on his shirt still look bad though,i might redo them.
    This time i opened the model in xnormal's model viewer,and imo it gives much better results.
    dukexnormalto1.jpg
    w974.png[/U
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. I made some new arms and a new shirt texture. I know that the armpit area is a mess atm,still working on that.After that i'll probably work on the hands.
    I'll also make the veins less "sharp"
    dn123aw9.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    not sure what happened
    http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=847449&postcount=41

that one looks LOOOADS better then the latest iteration. Not sure what happened.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, dude. The proportions took a turn for the worse with this last iteration. It looks like you hit the arms with the budge brush in mudbox all over. Definitely go back to the previous arms and if you make changes, make them very subtle and nothing that would make very noticeable changes to the silhouette.

Edit: Oh, and nice progress so far. I don't want to give you just a negitive crit, so keep at it. Its coming together nicely.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think the biggest proble, and nobody seems to have pointed it out yet. is that you're probably sculpting from a high subdivision level first.

scale right back to the lowest subdivision. block out the major forums, then move to the next level, and refine those forms. and keep moving up like so, you will have no problems if your lowest poly mesh looks exactly the right shape to begin with.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically, you need to look at a lot more reference, and start to understand for yourself what's good and what isn't. The fact that you took such a huge step back with your latest revision is pretty telling, in that it suggests you're just fishing in the dark. It's really hard to get something like this right from the first go, so I suggest doing more quick (an hour, tops) studies with reference, and make that knowledge your own. You'll start understanding where things go, and why.
    It's not all negative, though! Your previous screenshot looks much better than anything else in this thread!
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow,didn't expected this ;o
    But you guys are so right.I changed back to the old arms (with a new normal map on them)however i think they need alot of work.
    Should i add more poly's to them to make the shape better?
    I think the sides of the shirt look better this way,and imo the the folds on that part aren't defined enough.
    oh and gir:i do start at a low level and try to get the form right before getting into details.
    dn456ek9.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a new sculpt for his jeans.
    Don't mind the "mickey mouse" shoes,i'll replace them.
    mickeymousekb0.jpg
    w563.png
    backendekkerlr4.jpg
    w549.png
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Reference man... REFERENCE!!!! http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/mavi-hunter-organic-jeans.jpg

Since when do jeans bunch up like that in the crotch?

I'll be glad when you finish this up and start something newer and make it uber, because you have been spending WAY to long on this man, you could have finished up 2 characters by now with the time you've put into this... but at least you keep trying man, I say put your new found skills to better use and make your own, new character.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Reference man... REFERENCE!!!! http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/mavi-hunter-organic-jeans.jpg

Since when do jeans bunch up like that in the crotch?

I'll be glad when you finish this up and start something newer and make it uber, because you have been spending WAY to long on this man, you could have finished up 2 characters by now with the time you've put into this... but at least you keep trying man, I say put your new found skills to better use and make your own, new character.

told him similar thing long ago...he didnt want to hear it.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know why his jeans don't fit right, cuz hes got BALLS OF STEEL!!!

but yeah, check out some reference on the jeans. they're looking funny. I know GAP has like 7 different fits for jeans so just pick one and run with it. personally I think duke would look good in a low-rise boot cut.