greentooth
Offline / Send Message
garriola83 greentooth
updates
06.jpg
wired_01.jpg
freya.jpg
something ive been cooking up
im still missing a few of her effects, then off to zbrush for a pass then to max for normalizing

Replies

• Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far.

What is she for game or cinematic? Can we see a wire frame and a poly count?

Also whats the purpose of her attire, suit, hardware?
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i had a sci-fi sometime in the far future soldier type in mind. suits supposed to increase strength and store kinetic energy for extra mobility. there are holes around the suit for hoses to go to for recharging. i put a helmet on there too with a little bit of a fantasy look to it. my wires are crazy cuz its modeled high poly first. then i'll model around it to make a lo poly. then normal map it using 3dsmax.
    wires.jpg
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    her eyes look very deeply sunk into her face, although the image is a little small to tell for sure
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have some nice details it would be cool to see some close up shots of them as well as the helm shaded.

I like the design of the suit but it feels unfinished to me just because she has nothing substantial covering her thighs, pelvis or butt. I understand the whole sex appeal thing its just a little played out. Just my opinion. Keep up the good work.

I'll be checking back to see how your low poly comes out.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    unleashed: you might be right but it could be the lighting as well, sometimes its better to add depth there rather than making the face look flat,
    freya_face.jpg
    freya_face01.jpg
    freya_body.jpg
    freya_arm.jpg
    freya_boots.jpg
    freya_back.jpg

wilex: yeah the armor is very unfinished thus wip, as for the sex appeal thing, if i make the suit baggy, man thats gonna look awkward with the whole VG sci fi genre. i will add more to the armor tho but i want the sexiness to show at the same time. its just my style.
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the close ups.

By all means stick with the style you have it looks good. Just don't leave her in a bikini bottom at least not a cloth one.

Now that i can see it the face looks like it needs some adjustments. From what i can see it feels like you need to make the lower eye lid a little more prominent it feels almoast non existent at the moment. Also where the nose meets the forehead it doesn't feel like it dips in at all it feels flat. Its hard to tell without a direct profile view though.

Keep up the good work.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    wilex: thanks for the advice, i looked at it and yeah it didnt dip enough for a bit, here an update on the head. as for the bottom lid, i'll add that in my zbrush pass. thanks!
    freya_face_side.jpg
    that ear looks funky, eww
    freya_with_helm_open.jpg
    freya_with_helm_closed.jpg
    helm renders
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the helm design its pretty sick, especially the flip up visor idea.

Well hopefully you can get some more crits and get that head looking sweet. Faces seem like the hardest thing to get right in 3D well in my opinion. Just keep plugging away hard work always pays off.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    updates on the helm
    freya_update.jpg
    and also the thighs
    freya_update1.jpg
    im not entirely finished with the thighs...
    next up maybe the belt and some acessories with it
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    looking pretty sweet gene!

Is there going to be tubes coming off the pipes from the side of the helmet?

Oh and I Love the amount of detail your going into on the helmet, I think my only complaints would be the bulkiness of the very bottom of the helmet doesn't match the slim and sleekness of the rest of the design, I think it just comes too far out from her neck. And the other one is the way her boobs are shaped in the suit design, kind of makes her look less sexy because they almost look as though they may be smushed in there, I think if they were rounder it may be more sexy.

Great so far though, I can't wait to see this textured.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    freya_update1.jpg

more updates on the helmet and leg, maybe now off to the gloves then the lo poly

ps, uploading pics all the time is a chore!
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the updates garriola83 I appreciate it. I find it inspiring to see other peoples work, so keep at it even though uploading images is a process. I'm kind of noticing a trend where character WIP posts don't get very many critiques. I don't really understand why.

It seems like you linked us the same full body image from your last post that or you overwrote the older one because I don't see any changes.

The fine details on the helm look good. The armor on the thighs looks nice as well. Keep up the good work its coming along nicely. I’m looking forward to see how much detail you’re able to capture in your normal maps.

I've never done any high poly work so I’m a little curious as to your work flow and how you get all your details so precise.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey youre right, ive overwitten my older files cuz i was being lazy. next time i wont do the same. as for precision, smoothing groups my friend. i start lo poly to block it out, after that i add finer details by chopping it up and using inset, chamfer, extrude, etc.
    progress1.jpg
    make sure you use smothing groups effectively, so that when you use turbosmooth or meshsmooth and turn on the separate by smoothing groups, it'll look like it has hard edges. otherwise its gonna look bubbly. you can also control how much crease an edge can have by controlling it manually.
    progress2.jpg
    as for finer details, i detach/clone a patch of the surface as an element and add fine details on just that one area.
    progress3.jpg
    theres no point in increasing the over mesh's poly count when you only need just a few. but be careful to NOT move the cloned surface cuz it might cause weird artifacts on the normal map when baked.
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the explanation and the break down i'll have to give it a try on some of my models when i get chance.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    did some texture work on the head, hopefully i'll be finished with the whole thing soon.

freyahead.jpg
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Man, the face looks good. The only thing that really sticks out to me is it seems like the chest armor looks odd. If she's really flat-chested then it shouldn't sag so much. Just a thought.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Cool, though one thing, here eye lashes seem a bit chunky.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    yeah thats true, i have a render of this without the lashes and its actually better
  • oidipusss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cant wait to see some textured detail!!! the uv's giving you some hard time I imagine.
    Eye lashes are indeed a bit large, try maby doing the lashes on seperate poly's, give's it some deph to! Are the ear covers supposed to rotate with the visor or just staying in place?

cheerz
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    looks brilliant. i didn't like the eyes but now they look much better however i'm wondering if you have only disguised the bad shape with a misleading texture. the only other thing i don't like is that the breasts look weird and uncomfortably smushed.

btw you were inspired by Dead-Space weren't you? i say that because of the armor segments which don't overlap which doesn't make much practical sense to me although it may look cool.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    actually...maybe i was subconsciously, but i was more inspired by mass effect and this guy

http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/art/Pepper-Starfall-42873933

and yes to the eyes, i fixed them
    heres a quick look without the lashes
    freyahead1.jpg
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good on the details, but the overall shape has something missing. I am thinking it has to do with the shape of the leg, and waist. She needs more hip action, cause atm its looking a bit manly. Otherwise though, I really like the armor and face
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    more work on textures and lighting
    freya3.jpg
    i beat her up...err...i mean she fell down the stairs again....
    freyahead2.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice textures,- from the model at first I didn´t see this comming- but it actually improves the model alot.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey thanks! yeah i have that affect on models, lolz
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Her face is just a taad too dirty imo
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    To dirty to dark, but love the model as it stands alone.

Maybe try some alternate colors, blue, red, goldish yellow an all black grey metal is over used imho but it's your lovely model have fun!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    you are right! metal gray stuff is overused!!! i'll make some templates with diff colors
  • Spock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First let me say hello to you. Just happened upon the forum and got really excited by some of the work being posted up, you can expect to see a lot more from me in the future hopefully.

I do have a bit of a silly question though...

I'm guessing the armor pieces are seperate elements from the body mesh, but how do you quickly and effectively uv map high poly models?

It's easy enough for low poly since they're so much more basic but I've always been curious just how one goes about mapping a 100,000+ model efficiently?

I've used UV Paint, but if u packed a high detail model it just seems like you'd end up with 50 billion surfaces who's origins you have no clue of.

Beautiful work man! :)
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    awwwww i liked the clean version! the dirty one from the distance shot looks like she has a high noon shadow moustache.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Spock wrote: »
    First let me say hello to you. Just happened upon the forum and got really excited by some of the work being posted up, you can expect to see a lot more from me in the future hopefully.

I do have a bit of a silly question though...

I'm guessing the armor pieces are seperate elements from the body mesh, but how do you quickly and effectively uv map high poly models?

It's easy enough for low poly since they're so much more basic but I've always been curious just how one goes about mapping a 100,000+ model efficiently?

I've used UV Paint, but if u packed a high detail model it just seems like you'd end up with 50 billion surfaces who's origins you have no clue of.

Beautiful work man! :)

well my workflow is that i block out a shape and before i get into more detail, i would unwrap them while its still basic. then whenever i add more detail, i unwrap them as i make them. also using the pelt unwrap sometimes helps me visualize what the general shape of the unwrap will be, break it apart then put it back together in a way that optimizes space. when im done unwrapping then i use the meshsmooth, pick out which edges are hard and render a UV template ready to be textured.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    stimpack wrote: »
    awwwww i liked the clean version! the dirty one from the distance shot looks like she has a high noon shadow moustache.

someone that i work with actually mentioned that. its kinda wierd when you work TOO closely with your work, that you tend to over look details like that. that why i ask for feedback from other people in order for me to see what im not seeing. Thanks!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i like the blue red and some brown on there...
    a more realistic black eye and less dirty
    freyahead3.jpg
    time to move on to the arms
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    latest update, som parts are just base color
    i might need some decals or something

freya4.jpg
  • Ironwolf
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i jerry-rigged her, imma work on that. but the textures arent done yet either.

freya5.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    almost done
    freya6.jpg

and the back
    freya7.jpg
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would say darken the aromor on the body a little bit to match the helmet, besides that looks great.
  • comixink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, that's too sick. Nice job.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Ro-Sham-Bo wrote: »
    i would say darken the aromor on the body a little bit to match the helmet, besides that looks great.
    yeah i was just thinking the same thing. the whole color scheme needs to match, good eye
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    you have a good design, and nice modeled details, but for me the colors are not flowing correctly, try to make bigger colored surfaces that flow properly, separate them, and work a lot more on the material rendition, everything lacks a lot of contrast because of the lack of proper specular map. also don't hesitate to create different materials with adapted gloss settings to differentiate all the materials you have, if you can't create a proper gloss map for engine related reasons, of course.

more details on the face too, it needs to match the level of detail you already have on the body.

Keep it up dude.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    good advice, i'll rework the color scheme, and materials and see what i can come up with
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    freya8.jpg

more contrast between metal and everything else

i need to dirty it up a bit
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. Very cool. It looks realistic on the face. The Armour adds more awesome to its awesomeness.lol
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey yeah thanks man, yeah im quite proud of it but it still needs work i think
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Looks GREAT so far, but yeah, add wear to the armor and such.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's pretty cool i want to see the finished thing in action maybe a video of the character in the game engine or something.