Home Technical Talk

Need rigging advice (3Ds Max+pics)

t4paN
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
t4paN polycounter lvl 10
So, I've created this character for a school project and it's all going to hell - I can't rig his goddamn shoulders for the life of me.

My question is this: Should I remodel his shoulders from scratch, or is it a problem with the way I'm trying to rig the model? I mean, do you guys think the shoulders are completely unriggable, or is it just that I suck at animation/rigging (which I do anyway)?

Halp!

t99rg0.jpg

cu681.jpg

Any ideas/comments/paintovers are appreciated.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the construction isn't ideal, but it can be rigged. I've seen worse and been able to rig it. I think you're at the right place to test rig and remodel as needed. It would also help to see your rig? Using Biped or custom? I'm guessing if its for school they want custom?

- The arm pits seem kind of high, but it really depends on where you place the joint.

- The shape of the shoulder is kind of off, the deltoid you have is really bulky on the top of the shoulder. This will look weird when you bend the arm. The bulk of the deltoid shouldn't straddle the joint it should start at it. It would help if it blended smoother into the trapezius.

- You'll need more loops on the shoulder blades and back as well as down the rib cage. Also think about the arms coming forward and back as if running. The rib cage needs to hold its shape.

- The shoulders are not areas you want to save on polys.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Ben Mathis has a nice image here that shows shoulder construction on a model about your polycount. Taken from this page.

shoulder_deform.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Vig, I've been testing it with biped, but I get more marks for custom and since biped didn't help out I was thinking of trying with a custom one next.

I'm opening my anatomy book and starting to work on your comments, thanks a lot mate :D

BTW, here's the back of the model, dunno if it helps though..

8x4tol.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    monster wrote: »
    Ben Mathis has a nice image here that shows shoulder construction on a model about your polycount. Taken from this page.

shoulder_deform.jpg

I've been kinda working using this when restructuring the shoulders (they started out even worse than they now are) but I couldn't make much out of it I guess.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah biped how I love and hate you all at the same time. They hide the true pivot point in some bulky geometry that makes you think you should align it one way but really it should be another =/

It's best to ignore the biped's geometry and think of it as straight bones and envelopes. Putting the bipeds deltoid in what looks like the correct place doesn't always mean the pivot is in the right place.
    ShoulderRig.jpg
    - I would lower the armpit and make it a collapsing joint, kind of like the backs of knees. which would let you move the bicep pivot higher up into the shoulder to help deform the overactive deltoid.

- If you don't remodel the armpit then the joint needs to be moved out above the center of the arm pit. Otherwise when the bicep comes into the body it will pull too much of the body or the arm will clip into the body depending on how you weight it. Either way is not ideal.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I'm adding more loops as you previously suggested and will do the armpit as well like that. Thanks!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget to add in a twist bone. Another thing that may help is a bone that is orientation constrained to the shoulder and collar that sits at the shoulder's pivot.

Your geometry isn't ideal (alright, it isn't very good but as Vig said, most of us have rigged worse), but you will never get great shoulder deformation without deformation bones. If you have time and want to learn, remodel the shoulder. If you need a quick fix and don't need a ton of animation, add in more bones.

Also don't forget to animate the clavicle and any deformation bones as needed. Cheat! But learn.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you wanted to go custom, and you had extra bones to spare, a 5 jointed set up is awesome, but you would need to model with that in mind and I wouldn't pull you off of biped at this point.

http://www.animationartist.com/2003/08_aug/tutorials/rigging_anatomy.htm

But keep it in mind for later =)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Right, so I've been working on the shoulders and just started rigging again (with a biped, I'm running way out of time to create a rig after all). It does deform better right now, and I haven't finished weighting the vertices.

Rob, I'll try to go about like we do in the homeland and do some cheating as well (for good measure), you mean I should add a twist bone in the upper arm bone, right?

ydmhu.jpg

Vig, thanks for the tut but yeah, looks like I'd better stick with biped at this point. And damn, it looks hard.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A twist bone isn't cheating. Yes, add a twist bone.

'Cheating' would be adding one or two 'Xtra' bones (if you are using Max 2008), or just parenting a point or two to the collar, and skinning to and animating those. You could manually move and rotate those bones to get whatever deformation looks good.

I consider 'cheating' adding in a bone where another solution is the more correct one (fixing the mesh). Twists aren't cheating because there is no way to produce proper deformation without them, the same way a more involved shoulder setup isn't cheating. If there is a problem of the shoulder that doesn't behave correctly (such as under the arm) cheating would be adding a bone specifically to control that deformation, which at this point, may be a viable alternative depending on deadlines.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I see, I'll try to rig it the traditional way and use the twist bone, and god help me :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheating is using a skin morph heh