Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Keira Knightley WIP : Need Help

Hi,

I am currently making a model of British actress Keira Knightley on my spare time and I need help on giving my mesh recognizable facial features...

Here you can see by yourself...

keira_knightley_wip_01_treequarters.jpg
keira_knightley_wip_01_profile.jpg
keira_knightley_wip_01_front.jpg

... she looks a bit dudish :poly119:

Here are some reference pics:
keira_knightley_wip_01_references.jpg
keira_knightley_wip_01_references2.jpg

I guess proportions are the most obvious errors but can't find out how to correct them...

Plz leave C&C and of course advices if you feel like it :poly112:

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'd say get some more contrasty pictures, like that third one. Otherwise you'll have a hard time reading her face structure.
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yess I try to but big clear pics are often from photoshoot... (or I don't know enough paparazzi sites) =D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watch out for the processed photo shoot, shots. They are often retouched and will give you horrible results when trying reconstruct a persons actual face. Not to mention makeup artists do horrible things to peoples faces in an effort to make them "pretty".

I think its too early to tell its meant to be her, keep at it though you're getting there =)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not a bad start, but I think the face shape is off a bit.
    It seems too wide to me, and also her chin should go forward a bit, she has a fairly flat front of her face. The chin you have there is too recessed, and probably too "tall" (so to fix it, you should move it upwards a small amount, and forwards a bit).
    She does have a very strong jaw, but the jawline you have there is too manly. It shouldn't be so wide, just keep the "square" look to the back corners, and narrow in the front parts. Should get a better look that way.

Instead of looking for just jpgs online, go and rent or buy a DVD, try Pirates of the Caribbean - you'll get a lot more angles and it'll easier to see how her face is shaped.
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it obviously was a bad choice... I'm getting rid of those kind of pics...

EDIT : ... and buying DVDs :D
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure these pictures are any better but there might be something useful there. msnbc has a lot of celebrity photos on this movie site. Some celebrities have more than others.

http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=464857&mp=p

In regards to your model I noticed these things (not listed in order of importance)

1. It looks like you might be a little square in the jaw especially if you compare your current iteration with picture 3.

2. Her real lips (difficult to tell exactly because these actors are masters at presenting their faces the way they wish) look like they are fuller on top than you have represented, or maybe your bottom lip is too full, I'd fix the jaw first and then look at the lips. Her top lip folds under at the corners in a specific way.

3. Her nose seems more slender than what you've depicted, it might be the viewport shading but it seems more rectangular than is represented in the photos. I don't think I'd use photo 3 for nose ref. but it looks good for skull/jaw ref.

Part of the dilemma (I think) in celebrity likeness is finding the balance between their actual untouched reality and the one people perceive which is that of retouched photos and posed shoots so that you can deliver on the expectation people have which is based on the many pictures of her they have seen where she is "perfectly" presented.

If I were you I would focus on getting the skull and jaw construction to be as accurate as possible and then move to the features. Kind of like when you're drawing, you move from general to specific, block forms, consider composition, check proportion of major forms and then move to specific features, more or less. Everybody has their own process :)

just my 2 cents -and that's all it's worth :)

good luck!

[mop and vig made some great points about the photo ref, she's also in "The Jacket" if you haven't checked that out yet]
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work getting the overall shapes down.

kieraal2.jpg

I quickly chucked up some lines over a picture of her then put them over your model to compare and the most obvious things are:

The nose should be a bit longer,
    The lips should be a bit lower.
    If the picture is to be believed her jaw should be more narrow and angled.
    Also, take a look at your first reference pic, her ears are angled back more.

Hope this helps (:

oh and if you want the original pic. http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3041/knightleyfacexc3.jpg
  • TWilson
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, couldn't stop looking at pics of her...

but found some nice profile shots for you.

profileshotsxr4.jpg
    and again, if quickly compared to your model you can see a few things that need changing.

She has a more upturned nose than you have given her,
    Her jaw is super bony and juts out so her neck shouldn't taper into it as gradually.
    Eyes and cheeks could go back a little more than they are now.
    The area between her mouth and nose (don't know the name) needs to curve inwards.

ok thats enough
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    verry important thing to rember, every pic you will get will have perspective in them.. you can use max to simulate this but could be anoying to get your viewport to simulate the proper perspective distortion
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop has tools to correct lens distortion but it can be tricky to use. If you know what type of camera was used (doubt it) it has preset settings if not, then you can fiddle with the settings.

Another pitfall of the beauty photo shoot is that they hardly ever take profile shots or perfectly frontal shots. Its normally angled slightly because straight on is often unflattering.

I like MoP's suggestion to fire up a DVD. In some cases you get a nice tween from front to side. And nothing really beats a moving image of someone to help capture their likeness. You also get to see how their face animates, and it will help give you ideas about their underlaying structure(s).
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone I am getting all your advices done and reply thereafter
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    it's been a long time I haven't posted here but had a lot of work and I finally could work a little on my Keira model.

I manage to get a pirate 3 dvd and realized a lot of things that indeed had to be changed, I also took consideration of your advices and...

... it still looks like a men

keira_knightley_wip_02_left.jpg
    keira_knightley_wip_02_front.jpg
    keira_knightley_wip_02_threequarter_b.jpg
    keira_knightley_wip_02_threequarter_a.jpg

I corrected a lot of thing but something still must be wrong about props and eyes...

Thanks for your C&C in advance... C ya :D
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    outside of eye soket too far forwards and too jowely
    my 2 cents
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, the first thing I noticed in old pics was her jaw was too wide under the ears and not angled enough.

It seems even wider now though. The jaw really needs work.

Some hair would be good to just to help get rid of that bald guy look. I'd just slap a quick hair mesh there that can help you visualize her more as you actually see her in the pics.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'd say try to stop thinking with lines in front/side views, and try wrapping your head around planes tilted in space - It will be much easier and accurate.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Nice start, good flow. Just a few small things that I hope are helpful.

kim_crit.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    hmm i dont quite see the likeness yet. Its hard to critique these things, my only advice is practice makes perfect...keep at it!
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys...

In regards to your comments and because of the result at that time, I obviously had to start over and develop another modeling technique, as well as observing technique.

I took as reference a POTCIII dvd and starred alot at the face features and volumes.

Here's the result :

021409_KeiraKnightley_A.jpg021409_KeiraKnightley_B.jpg021409_KeiraKnightley_C.jpg

021409_KeiraKnightley_D.jpg021409_KeiraKnightley_E.jpg021409_KeiraKnightley_F.jpg

C&C and advices are of course welcome...

EDIT: Worktime so far is ~12h
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    head is far too tall, looks a bit penis shaped right now, but overall its improving
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Not a bad start Raph. I'd say, just keep a few pictures of her on your 2nd screen or on paper (as much angle as possible). Bring your model in Zbrush and start to play with it. Put your model in the same angle as the photo you're looking for and try to copy the main facial features this angle is showing, etc. Once you have a first pass on your model, make a front/side printscreen of the model and try to overlay original photos. It will directly give you the feeback you need to continue.

Glad to see you're still practicing :)
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'd say her jaw angles up a lot more from chin to ear in profile. Don't be afraid to adjust it too much, then bring it back a little. Often, if you work in the 'caricature' aspects of your sculpt, you can then bring it back to a less severe, more realistic definition.

As with all beautiful women her face is very plain, so if you're off just a little it's a lot more noticeable.
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Thank you for your precious advices...

I managed to get hold of some hours to work on my model.

Not much blah-blah, let's have a look at it.

WIP_Keira_Knightley_051409_A.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_051409_D.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_051409_E.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_051409_C.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_051409_B.jpg

Your C&C are very appreciated, please continue, I want to improve :)
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh the things that I would do to her... Looking good!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    improving - watch the corners of the mouth, they are a bit sharp and some weird shading errors there.
    perhaps the sharp lines should be softened off a little on the neck, she is getting a bit mannequin looking in places
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys.

I'm looking at the corners of the mouth and sterno-cleido-mastoidian muscle.

Any comments on the resemblance, props, features, etc ... ?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the corners of the mouth strike me as odd, maybe check out those muscles around the mouth in some reference for any clues
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    Indeed there was a big problem about the lips corners. There weren't polygons enough to sculpt a good detailed mouth. I'm still working on it, having selected contrasted pictures of her mouth.

I also worked a little on her eyes' bones and I smoothed her neck muscles also.

Have a look...

WIP_Keira_Knightley_051909_A.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_051909_B.jpg

Please C&C...

Thanks a lot!

PS: Some little shading artifacts are normal as long as I don't go Super Hi-Def until my props and volumes are perfect.
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any comment about proportions, volumes...?

Any tips/clue/advice about what don't look like the real one in your opinion?
  • imperator_dk
  • deazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raphick wrote: »
    Any comment about proportions, volumes...?

Any tips/clue/advice about what don't look like the real one in your opinion?

Hi Raphick,

I would have two advices for you to improve your human modeling skills. Study anatomy first.For instance look at your ear, that's not good at all (modeling-wise I mean). And like Lanteri said in one of his book, measure your model. There are some points that help a lot having likeness. And You should first study modelling men instead women. It's easier to see mistakes on women than on men.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a bit too late now but im gonna give it a shot anyway, saw you had alot of loops in your first picture. A simple tip when you are blocking out shapes is to have less polies. Dont start adding alot of loops and dont worry about topology to much when you are blocking out shapes. This makes it a lot easier to try out different shapes(obviously but yeah =D )
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellow guys,

I'm still working on this model on my spare time...
    As Dedeazar advised me, I bought some book and dvd about human representation and thereby began to measure props, volumes and angles certainly paying much attention to what I saw/decoded from photos and not what I thought I was seeing.

So there is a temporary result, knowing there still is a lot of work to be done, specially on the mouth.

WIP_Keira_Knightley_082809_A.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_082809_B.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_082809_C.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_082809_D.jpg

You can possibly find my reference pics over here.

Your precious critics and comment are still very welcome...

Thanks a lot in advance...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not quite seeing the likeness yet (try having a photoshop layer of her hair to paste over, it always helps) but it's definitely looking more human and natural. I'd say the weirdest area to me right now is her lip corners. It's always kind of hard to get right, and it's looking a bit pinched. I see from the reference that her lower lip does actually pinch a bit in the corners, but the upper lip is actually a bit rounder and smoother than you have it at the corners.

You've also still got her nose too wide at the bridge, both the top bone, as well as the fatty tissue on either side. I find when doing likenesses, after I've gotten as much as I can from using the reference planes, I start trying to pay attention to the actual shading of my model. If it's not shading right, I know I've got the anatomy off from theirs. The areas that orthos can't help you with are particularly beneficial to use this. So for the nose, look at how her nose shadows in the reference photos, then try using soft select on verts to narrow her nose till it shades similarly to the ref.

I also find having a montage of images, kind of "fixing" a feature in my mind, then actually tabbing away from it and into the 3d, and modeling using that impression rather than a direct comparison.
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

There are still a lot of things to do but I was passing by so I post some Wips...

WIP_Keira_Knightley_102109_A.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_102109_B.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_102109_C.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_102109_D.jpg

Pleeeeeeeaaaaase comment :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey raphick, looks very human but too male, instead of a paintover I did you a comparison, just rotated your pic slightly to match this photo of Keira.
    Compare.jpg

Straight away you can see the chin area and jawline, hope it helps :)
    btw the neck scares me!
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Still working in my too few spare times, I'd like to ask your feedbacks about the wip so far...

I guess some of the things to be refined are lips (volumes especially), too small ears(?), outer eye bones...

WIP_Keira_Knightley_120909_A.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_120909_B.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_120909_C.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_120909_D.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_120909_E.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_120909_F.jpg

Feel free to criticize and comment... I guess I'm on the good way, even my girlfriend begins to recognize her :D
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's looking good. Keep it up dude!
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The jaw looks a bit manly still imo, looks good otherwise though :D
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you really need to work on the nose and chin. they still bare no resemblance at all. Also ears are too high

I find it easier to model when other elements are apparent, like hair or eyelashes / eyebrows. simple placeholders are fine, and give you a better feel for the progress.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last one has more simularities, but ya, still looking dudish. Keep it up though... getting a solid likeness is very hard, at least for me. I spent a long time trying to model a womans face, after a friend of mine. It came out looking pretty close to her I feel, but just took a while.

All you can do is collect a ton of ref images from diff angles, preferably as many as you can from the same photoshoot, as some will be of when the person was younger/older and that changes alot too.

Keep it up, and try to have fun, don't let it frustrate you too much. The harder part for me I think, was trying to do good looking hair. I eventually didn't have time to finish it, and also had too frustrated.
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update guys...

worked a couple of hours on it and amongst others:
    - changed software (da%n mu$£°x)
    - quickly made hair (let's face it, it has to be remeshed and pushed forward)
    - reworked some face features

WIP_Keira_Knightley_220310_A.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_220310_B.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_220310_C.jpgWIP_Keira_Knightley_220310_D.jpg
    WIP_Keira_Knightley_220310_E.jpg

One again please leave comments and feel free to criticize :D
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    The viewer in Zbrush also gives a Flat Perspective always, that could make her look weird, try using the Perspective mode if you are in Zbrush 3.5.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Great improvment through out the thread. It's paying off really well. Great job so far!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    More full body images please. :)

... Great job.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg wrote: »
    More full body images please. :)

skeleton.gif