Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Vitor

Vitor
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vitor polycounter lvl 18
Hail!

This sounds like a good idea. I really need to completely build a new portfolio from scratch. All the stuff I have there now is about 1-2 years old and most of it is incomplete and sucks badly. Keeping this thread update seems a good way to make me work more and stopping being a lazy ass...

First of the series- A human head

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh iz nice!
    HI5!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Well, an update on that dude:

wip10du6.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    more work on the textures:

texsni2.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Finishing that one:

wip12mo1.jpg

And starting a new source model:

wip01zi1.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ganda borbulhona que akele filho da puta tem na testa! PQP!
    lol
    but seriously.. the head looks too shine lol. i think. altho i think i see some pixelating on teh head. maybe its the normal map. did you subdivided the head enough times? look at the normal map in the ear. you can see the subdivisions.

subdivide more unless your pc is a piece of poo lol
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    My goal for the next months (till my summer vacations start) is to build a solid portfolio showcasing skills in various areas of 3d, characters, props & environment, weapons... so I can get some better freelance jobs during that university free time. (By the way, if you have some freelance work to be done after July don't forget about me o.O )

Been posting on WAYWO thread some wips, I post them here now so this sketchbook will show better all my recent works. I also post my new model, a M4 which I plan to nextgenz it, and make a pos-apoc variation of it.

The gun:
    wip03kt6.jpg

The most recent head WIP:
    01kf7.jpg

The lastest one finished:
    wip12gs2.jpg

And it's texture:
    wip13ii2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey nice heads :) Im not sure if the shadows/AO in the textures are doing you any favors, they seem to be making your characters face look a little bit muddy or dirty, its like black in his ears, nose and eyesockets, maybe make the AO more transparent or combine it with a colour so its less black?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey vitor nice seeing this ! good to see you finishing your stuff ;) just one thing, avoid making the models so leaned forward , and also bake a good ambient oclusion map because right now yours isnt doing you any favor, also play around more with skintones.Also use color specular, helps stuff pop better ;)

Edit : the highpoly gun seems a tad plastic and blobby in the edges, might be the lightning tho , but looking sweeet !
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for stoping by. Got the critics, will work on that.

About the soft edges on the gun, some are still wip and will be changed soon, other edges are meant to be soft, at least it what I got from the reference images. Will check that out anyway.

And most important, I'm working on a old CRT monitor with the contrast/gamma sittings broken and just now I see it on my laptop, damn... it looked alot better on the other screen, more colors and contrast...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i agree AO Maps on characters always tend to make everything look dirty and ugly, try it with skylights and gi, i always have better results with that.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for stoping by Neox, yes now looking at those textures I can see what you guys mean. I belive the first texture is better, perhaps with the cavity too strong, but the AO it self is better, or not?
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Well, back to work. Almost done with the highpoly modeling on the M4. Just a couple more fix and model some connecting bits...

wip07py6.jpg

wip08kz2.jpg

And the latest of the head practices. Post it some days ago on the other thread but here it is to keep the record updated...

04ai3.jpg
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work bro keep it up, i like what im seeing here :P.
    Oh btw Shin Chan rocks :D.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Dumping the work I've doing lately here to keep the record.

The actual model for the Threedy's new competition: Animal Warrior

95489511uq6.jpg

The male basemesh for practice and future re-using:

70797480to6.jpg

And a female one for the same purpose:

60653942lg8.jpg
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I know women tend to be thinner than men, but that just looks PAINFUL :o

Rhino is coming along great :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice rhyno. i would saw off his horn and then add a necklace of skulls. the arrows on the back are a good touch. i would change the shape of the legs, from the side he looks to straight. i would make his legs curve slightly.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks bros.

And yes Pedro, I'll probably brake his front horn, it is looking kinda ridiculous as it is now. I'm having some problems with the armor. I'm afraid it might be looking too simple and ugly... some suggestions at this point would rock o.O

54621682iz3.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Current progress on the rhino. Just to keep this update. I feel I did improve some since I start this a few months ago.

20em6.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool rhino, I cam see seams on his arms and the blood doesnt look very shiny, he could do with more exciting lighting I think.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Well thought it was time to update this with the current progress:

58187466ab3.jpg
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    hi Vitor!

very cool works u have in here, i especialy like the rhino sculp. I think were a good ideia arrange the uvs to hide the seams on his arms. Btw why u cut the orn? I think the big one fits better give him more "carisma"

cheers m8
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Yo Ultra. Como vai essa vida? Well yeah, The rhino was pretty rushed on the end, guess I was getting really tired with it. I'll try to get back on him.

Damn I almost completly forgot about this sketchbook...
    Some of the lastest stuff to keep this ondate. Any critics and comments are extremly welcome!

Reworked base girl
    70125777.jpg

Dani boy in the works:
    11.jpg

WIP model from a concept by Fr
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The "base girl"'s head looks very small compared to her body. don't know if you were going for ultra-super-hero proportions (like 10-12 heads high or something) but it looks a bit weird to me.

Daniel Craig is looking good, I think you've done a great job on the likeness... give him hair dammit! :)
    His eyes are pretty exaggerated, right? I don't think they're quite that crazy asymmetrical in real life, but it works for this model, so that's good.

The last guy is pretty cool, some issues I notice:
    • In the side view his head/neck is waaaaay in front of his feet/ankle positions - means he looks like he's going to fall forward all the time, also makes it look like his waist is in a really weird position relative to his feet.
    • Careful with the folds around the bottom of the pants - I can see what you're trying to do but they're kinda over-sharpened and look more "hollowed out" than folding cloth ... if anything the material looks more like hard plastic than cloth. Are you following reference for that? If so, do you mind posting it?
    • His hands (and head again, slightly) look really small compared to the size of his body. It's like you've made his torso 1.5x the size of every other body part. Not sure if this is because you're matching the concept, or what, but it looks a bit weird to me.

It's all good stuff though, I like your work. Good job on keeping the sketchbook going too, it's better than I can manage :)
  • engelik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! Pretty nice stuff, you should update your sketchbook more often! :)
    the base girl anatomy its pretty cool, only some issues with the proportions as MoP pointed.

the Daniel Craig is damn close! congrats!

the last guy seems to suffer of "tallness" as the girl, make his head a bit bigger ;) other than that is really nice =)
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot Mop and Engelik. Completly agree with everything said, and please keep the good critics coming.

Some fixs on the girl. I think she's finished now, or not?

15060841.jpg
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the bust of Daniel Craig. Good work!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the girl is a little odd, I mean waist down looks good and torso and arms look good and head looks good but when you put all 3 of those sections together into one model it seems a bit off to me so maybe its just a proportion issue, got some reference?
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Glad you are liking it guys. You completly right there Ged, i always had proportions difficulties on my models, I think I'm improving very slowly at it (like it's better then the previous page girl right?) but I still have much to learn. I'm using reference but not exactly good full body reference... will try to improve it,
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Updating this with stuff made during this last week. Suggestions and critics to improve are extremly welcome!

An improved (I hope) version of the girl in this page:
    24589574.jpg

A realtime head model, with 1024*1024 maps:
    04.jpg

Another head, also with 1024*1024 maps:
    041.jpg
    - a couple stuff to fix on this one thou.