Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Mastiffs End (WAR building wip)

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Ok, shamelessly inspired by the building 5imeon is working on and my continued love of the Mythic concept art I thought it would be fun if I did a building too.

I've had such little time to work on things these days because of a move this has been a nice break so far and I am looking for some early feedback.

Concept: http://mythicmktg.fileburst.net/war/us/home/images/conceptart/CT1207_47.jpg

Mastiff_test1.jpg
Mastiff_test2.jpg
Mastiff_test3.jpg

I'm looking for feedback on proportions, polycount, and construction.
Everything in puke yellow is placeholder. The dogs ass is built, but its not tweaked, same with the face.

Still to do:
The background Building and ground/surroundings. (edit, I'm assuming based on the concept this building is supposed to be modular and fit into any background wall section with a door. Which is why I'm considering the background building a separate piece)
Finish the drainpipe with fishhead opening.
Finish the window moon and husk props.
Window and stone trimming.
Front Sign and Lamps.
Smoothing Groups.

I changed the proportions slightly, I made the upper building wider than the concept because I thought based on the sizes and the way it was drawn it would be quite small a building to put a person in. If this is a pub, there would be a table back there. For interest I offset the upper building to the right a bit so I could keep the step-front face true to the concept.

The boards are all basically instances of an original, ie the large cross beams are all the same (rotated for variation). Same with things like the boarded windows. I hope that this is proper form for construction/modeling. There seems to be a lot of geometry buried in each other. It makes sense to me, but I have no idea if thats proper or not.

I also started to think about textures. I plan on having 3 main tileable textures. Stucco, Stone and Shingles. The wood planks will probably go on another texture and then all the details (lamp, sign, windows, ass, face) on another texture. I also hope this is the proper way of thinking.

Replies

• Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Nice work so far man. That ass will be spouting eavestrof water soon enough.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    To your proportional changes; the mastiff itself is larger in the concept, thus making the building wider to begin with. So I think you got the top part right, it's the bottom half that's too small.

Also, the pub itself is in the building of the backside, so it doesn't matter that a table could fit there, this is more of an eccentric addition as with empire style.

Anyway it's looking like a good start. Will this be a building featured in the background of this? ;)
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51631
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great start saidin!! I think you have to many polys on the drainpipe, gutter, and the two smaller spire thingys on the roof. Damn, I gotta step my game up now. :) Can't wait to see the texture!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    To your proportional changes; the mastiff itself is larger in the concept, thus making the building wider to begin with. So I think you got the top part right, it's the bottom half that's too small.

Also, the pub itself is in the building of the backside, so it doesn't matter that a table could fit there, this is more of an eccentric addition as with empire style.

Anyway it's looking like a good start. Will this be a building featured in the background of this? ;)
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51631

Cheers Chris! I'll widen up the bottom a bit to beef up the stone. The intent is to get it in there. I stepped back from that because it was getting daunting having to high res every asset. So instead of mudboxing stone and brick for 12 years I think I might go with crazybumped painted/referenced textures and decent quality building. Make things with a bit of care rather than pumping out props and assets.

Based on the couple of concepts that are similar to this the idea is to make 2-3 wall sections I'll repeat around the square. And then drop on top these pubs and shops. For the sake of my portfolio though I'd rather work these modular buildings in first and then assemble pieces.

Some updates because I was working on it just now, worked on some drainspouts and I widened the stone and put some detail on the backside.
    Mastiff_test5.jpg
    Mastiff_test4.jpg
    It's up to 7000 tri's. Theres not much more to add, but I hope that limit is kosher for these types of things.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Don't forget to slice these bitches up...but not as shitty as I did :)

mastifftest4ve6.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah a couple of those things were temp. But I forgot to slice the sign up a bit.

So just some quick updates before I go to bed. I tweaked the roof a bit to give it some more sag, increased the size of the stone area, tweaked the mastiff ass to give it some character. Put some stone trim around. I have a temp sign holder in there. I think that will end up being the lamp holder because I want to bring in the spikes and warhammer style on to the sign post. The sign and the fishheads are the last things I feel I need to do. (oh and I'm not a fan of that curved husk deco thing, I'm gonna do a little warhammer research and find another deco to put there)

I also started to work on the background cutting in a door and starting to trim. It seems all these medieval style buildings are just endless blocks of trim. Personally I find it fun to do it, but I always have this feeling its not RIGHT. (by floating some box over top of another box)

I also brought in a little colour just to break some elements up to make them easier to critique. I also have no idea what I'm going to do for the stone drain. I think I'm going to add an extra arch trim that I'll unwrap as a seperate object. But I'm not 100% sure yet.

Cut it up please! I'm looking to improve it if I can.
    Mastiff_test6.jpg
    Mastiff_test7.jpg
    Mastiff_test8.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm not liking my texturing abilities here.. Looking for some tips.

I'm deciding whether to paint the texture or photo-reference them. The photo-reference seems so noisy and not right. But I'm not sure if painting them is going to make it look any better.

The render looks like crap because theres no lighting. Which is probably also killing my motivation a bit.

Here are some of the textures I've been playing with.

Stucco for between the wood, this one is painted (cracks) with a texture photo overlay.
    stucco2.jpg
    Slate Tiles for the roof
    testroof2.jpg
    Test Painting of slate tiles for roof
    testroof1.jpg

And this is the crappy unlit building with a few photo referenced textures (obviously I've modified the original photo duh).
    test1-1.jpg

Working without normal maps and such is a new thing for me. I'm used to either modeling some high polys and baking down, or crazybumping and modifying speculars and normals and then lighting it up to make it look decent. For some reason this just looks like poo.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to fit in with the WH style. paint.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The start to you painted roof is looking good. Keep it up.

Continue to focus on your texture painting, and try to rely on photo overlays as little as possible.

You may want to take the time to do some texture painting studies of rough surfaces with lots of colors from odd brushes. That doesn't explain much, but if you get good at it you'll never need a metal/stone/etc photo overlay again because you can paint it. If I get some time tonight, I'll try and go into further detail on this for ya.

When you reach the optimization phase, you can do the moon, shield and any tacked on emblems as alpha planes if you so desire.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking the style and advice, and the fact that the photo style textures look like poo I've worked on this Slate Roof texture by painting it.

Cholden, if you do get a chance to elaborate on more resources for getting that rough surface using painting techniques let me know! I've still used a little photo overlay to get some of the vertical water damage lines and some colour variation. It's also not 100% tileable yet, just have to clean up the horizontal edges a bit.

roof4.jpg

Lastly, I'm really looking for a good lighting setup to show this off a bit. Having something with shadows and light in a quick scan render keeps my motivation up cause without shadows it seems to look like barf.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah dude paint the shit out of this thing. I dig the roof. The photo overlay on it is kinda meh though.
  • JolliFish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This piece is great, I really love the texture work!!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks sweet dude, I had no idea these warhammer pieces were so popular :)

if you get the rest of the painted texture work at the quality of the tiles there this thing will be totally bad ass.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I like the model and your tiles are looking good.

However I would suggest you select some tiles and make them a little darker or a little lighter than the other tiles - this should give it a more uneven look.
  • hjd_uk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice tiles! Looking good, keep it up.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome painted texture! That will look sweet. It's shaping up, man.

And where the hell did you find that slate tile picture?!?! I've been looking for something like that for my church. Mind if I grab that beast?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments guys, its highly motivating! I took your advice Sprung and added a little variation (something I had planned). I added a bit more colour too, some red dirty type hints and some yellow mildew type stains, at least that was the thinking. I think i'll improve the highlights a bit as they don't pop as much on the model. Mind you I could do that with spec.

Heres the update on the texture. I'm gonna move on to the next one for now. I think I can get the sharp edges via painting down, but I must now learn how to paint wood, and paint painted wood. And within all this self referencing I will learn.

Roof_Final.jpg
    Mastiff_test9.jpg
    Definite improvement as far as looks on the building I think. Still looking for a lighting setup, but on to wood for now.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    The tiles on the roof look great, but you're missing the trimming. That usually happens when two "faces" of the roof meet. Also, I dunno if you've done it on purpose, but it doesn't look like you're sticking to the concept piece 100%. The sides of the roof, in teh concept piece, actually isn't roof at all, but the side walls of the building.

I hope you were able to form an image out of what I was saying, lol. My architect lingo is a little lagging :p
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, some mesh optimization here. You could save some polys in some areas.

blehci4.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips. When I put the texture on the roof it's definitely out of place without some sort of trim. Easy fix/add though. As for the mesh stuff, I've only done a first pass. And the building in behind (the wall section) isn't really touched at all at this point. Cheers for the comment though!

As for the side of the roof? I believe you're talking about that specific screenshot angle. That is the backside of the roof. I have the roof meeting the side wall on the front side ala the concept, but if you look at the concept the rake of the roof on the other side is much greater suggesting it comes back to create another angled roof section. It also creates a little variety when looking at the building from the 2 sides. And I hope *that* all makes sense haha.