Home General Discussion

Nice feature update in Maya 2008 extension 2

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Panupat polycounter lvl 15
I'm still watching what it offers but already am very happy with the new polygon tools. Soft selection that built right into translate tools with visual size adjustment! Symmetry that's pretty smart, multi tools that can select vertice/edge/face all in 1 and double click to select edge loops ooo.gif These little features I've always loved XSI/lightwave for.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10797415

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, double-clicking for edge loops eh? That should make using Maya a lot nicer. Is this a free extension, though, or an add-on you buy?
    If so, making people pay for bog-standard tools seems pretty fucking shitty.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Pea:

[ QUOTE ]
    The features shown in these videos are only available to Subscription customers, in Maya 2008 Extension 2

[/ QUOTE ]
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, thank god they finally put soft selection in. Soft Modification tool was just about the worst implementation of a soft selection thing I've ever seen frown.gif

Multi-selection should be nice. Will have to see if we can get this update at work, should be useful.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    wow, after some time they finally managed to add FEATURES to maya 2008 wink.gif
    Always wondered why the renamed 8.5 to 2008 without any changes.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    bah been using that stuff for ages, NEX is cheaper than the upgrade methinks..
    (edit, except the multi select mode which sounds interesting.. still..)
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    we went over all these features at my maya tips and tricks session at gdc.
    there is some cool stuff, but i still don't think any of the features replace nex as a package, the beta has some new cool features as well.
    i told the guy from autodesk that its not 1994 anymore and maya needs a connect and target weld.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Anyone tried Maya2008 64 + Nex + extension2 ? It is giving me the weirdest display bugs when in hide backfaces mode...

Also I would love to know how to turn off the annoying way vertices always appear even if you are in edge or faces mode.
    [woah nevermind found it, seems like i was stuck in soft selection mode, hence the yellow stuff. I guess thats what you get by implementing a new tool but not giving any UI feedback about it... Still get some weird colors tho...]

And where is automatic tumble on components? Still not here?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hell yeah, I can't believe I still have to dig up scripts to do these simple operations. Vertex snap, re-select and Merge isn't the same as a single click & drag... 1994 heh
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Any chance we'll ever get the view compass back, except with the rotate view arrows from the cube?