Home Technical Talk

3ds Max render to texture dots

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jaco polycounter lvl 17
I’ve got a problem that’s driven me to the verge of suicide ( 3dsmax must be the cause of at least a small percentage of suicides/murders?)
I’m using render to texture in 3ds max 9 to bake the diffuse from one identical model to another identical model. I’m doing this because I’ve changed the UVWs of the one model.
It’s working perfectly, but I get these bloody little dots on my texture like so:

Dots.jpg

Has anybody encountered this problem?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    swap the uvmaps to anonter uvchannel of the orginal model and delete the second model
    rtt works fine on multible uvmap channels
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks arrangemonk! I completely forgot about the multiple uv channel thing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran into this before and I can't quite remember how I manged to get around it. I think it comes from baking a defuse you previously baked into a shell material. Click on an empty slot in the material editor, and use the eye dropper to sample the material. If its a shell material drag out the original material or setup your texture in a new slot and apply that to your model and rebake.

You might want to make sure you have Enable Global Supersampler turned on setting it to Max2.5 Star is normally fine. I've gotten issues like this in the past with the AntiAliasing filter set to Catmull-Rom, you might have better results with if you set it back to Area and adjust the filter size to 1.5, careful as it could start to blur your texture.

EDIT:
    You can also delete extra UV channels by going into Tools > Channel Info. UV channels show up as "1:map" "2:map" and are toward the bottom. poly, vsel, -2:Alpha, -1:Illum, 0:vc are standard and shouldn't be removed. You can click the channel info you don't need and hit clear to remove it.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Many thanks Vig, I didn't have the Supersampler turned on. Turning it on got rid of the dots.
    It's incredible that one little checkbox has caused me so much pain frown.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I think also turning off "filter maps" will fix it, but generally when baking you want to turn on the supersampler for best quality maps anyway.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Good call MoP. On closer inspection the Supersampler greatly reduced the dots, but only because it was blurring them. Turning of filter maps got rid of the dots completely.
    Thanks!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i have to fight against these quite regularly, it's quite the pain to at least minimize them to be able to smooth them out later in pshop without killing texture detail.
    i have a checklist for this at work and have not encountered an RTT problem in a while but i think the main fix was to change the scale of both source and target models. seems to be some accuracy problem with the renderer vs. scene scale. requires a few tries to get it right, really.

and yes, supersampler merely filters them differently. if you turn filtering off, your map will be - guess what - unfiltered. depending on the situation you might just turn it into shit this way...
  • Pedro Toledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Toledo polycounter lvl 17
    I have had this problem before, it happens when both meshes are identical, if you add a push modifier to one of the meshes you fix it. You may set a really low amount for the push value, 0,01 is enough. This way you may leave the supersampler on.
  • Pedro Toledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Toledo polycounter lvl 17
    Hahaha, thomas, you won for a minute smile.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    For my situation unfiltered is actually preferable (I want the diffuse on the source model to remain unchanged), but I definitely see your point.

Changing the scale is also getting rid of the dots as you said, I think this might be a better solution for solving this problem in the future, thanks guys.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    whenever i get this i reset the Xform and it works, just a suggestion wink.gif glad you fixed it tho !
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Hehe, I usually use reset Xform to fix any problem I encounter, but it failed me this time smile.gif
    Thanks tho!
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe, I used this trick today as well, when quickly doing a seamless texture. smile.gif

For those who might not know where the option is, press F10 to bring up the render window, go to the "Renderer" tab and uncheck the "Filter Maps" option in the "Antialiasing" section.

Works like a charm. smile.gif
  • VAV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VAV
    tks a lot for all the suggestions posted here. I had this problem yesterday and reset x form solved it!!! I also had to flip my normal but then it worked fine

tks again!!!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    I'm baking some stuff into diffuse only objects for mobile games and guys... I LOVE YOU! Thank you nice people.