Enlil-Face.jpg

LATEST 3D:
Subd-2.jpg

Replies

• struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Get ready for Mr Fly to rock your face off!!

Good luck bro!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    liking it, but i think you've got your own crit right there... gotta make it your own. i think a start would be to try and get away from the LotR-Orc/Klingon form language with the armor and weapons. it's shorthand for evil for good reasons, but not going to get you a contest winner by any means. right now virtually all his shapes echo that kind of language.
    your 2d is so strong that i know you can start to carve out a novel approach for "big 'n evil" smile.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Snowfly, it's looking great so far, but I agree with Gauss on this one, and your own statement. One thing that bothers me is that everything is sharp, maybe have some smooth elements in there, or round to really push your eye towards certian areas, as now my eye doesn't really know where to look.

Spark
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    For some reason i instantly thought of a scorpion or wasp tail when i saw this, idunno, it's probably the harsh angles in the armor that i'm associating with bugs. Helmet/creature design is cool, but i agree with the others on the armor. Really looking forward to updates, always like your work.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Extremely derivative. frown.gif Still trying to figure out how to make the design my own.
    Sketch-1-web.jpg

Cheers guys, thanks for the great input. In any case I'm glad I did the cliche first pass, the idea's a lot easier to evolve now that it's on paper :-)

Going for an lighting elemental dragon, the sharp shapes were supposed to be conductors but I overdid it. I'm playing around with hollow bones and swooping patterns. He's still cliche,but I'm still hammering away at it. smile.gif
    sketch-2-web-1.jpg
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k i've got most of the large shapes sussed out, just need to tweak the proportions a little bit more. i'm gonna redraw him, play up the sparrow elements and work on the details. i'm going for a majestic looking dude. :-)

sketch-3-web.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, the majestic sparrow. Truly a king among bird-kind.

Coming along well, Snowfly. I'll be interested to see where the avian aspects come in.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    That is looking great. Maybe make more difference between his sword blade and the blades on his shoulders.
    I cant wait to see the clean concept.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Snowfly, good to see ya competeing smile.gif

I prefered the head of your previos sketch and the body of the last one, looks more cool imo.

Good luck dude smile.gif Hopefully you get a good position this year, I thought you deserved better last year.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    human face ftw!!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    that's awesome snowfly, I kinda like the human face more though, there are going to be so many demons and stuff tongue.gif

I absolutely LOVE the silhouette
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Yes! I actually think the fact that the sword blade and shoulders look the same is pretty awesome.
    Maybe his torso could be a bit longer?
    Oh and I vote human face to, it gives him more nobility/majesty.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    I dig this design, first I thought the demon head was more in place. But like Vahl says, there's so many demons and aliens and weirdness already out there.

Indeed, this could ba a regal leader. Strange thing is, for all his evil shapes, I definately getting a 'divine' vibe from this guy.

Great stuff.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me likes! good balance and flow.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Ok Snow, I am forgetting my direction as now I only want to model yours:P Hahah, awesome piece, and alot better direction, I really love the split sword, the human face kind of bothers me though. Even though I know your going for majestic, I think you can create that with a more dragon face, maybe not having them screaming showing there teeth would help that. Looking forward to the final of this, and keep up the great work.

Spark
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Show me your hands... I come back for get my katana... crazy.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    awesome design as usual man ! I'm with Spark about the human head, I thing that your previous shot was working better.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    enjoying the new direction. might consider playing with some visual styling like Howl's "bird form" in Howl's Moving Castle... i think that's a great way to sell a hero character corrupted/corrupting magic.
  • Sri Ram Chandra
    badass design! it would be great if you go with the monster face !
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    sweet design man. I like the flow and perspective that you're playing with for all the different elements.

Perhaps you could go for something ala Mimic, with a facial carapace that vaguely resembles a human face but opens up into that vicious set of mandibles.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i like it. the shape of the character reminds me of something from gundam or evangelion, but the details make him look like a bad ass dragon.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New sketch, Zsphere proportion study, and some reference. I'm painting on a laptop, so if you're on a perfectly calibrated desktop monitor, chances are, the colors and contrast look like ass. laugh.gif
    sketch-4-web.jpg

I've got a pretty solid idea of how everything will look now, so my next update will probably be the base mesh. Cheers guys :-) Keep pushing those polys!
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    mouth closed would look more appropriate,really liking the direction though.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    It's funny Snow, I am on a desktop and it's so far away from being ass it makes me sad:P Really liking this guy, and even the human face is starting to grow on me, though I am still curious how he would look with more of the body style coming into the face. Keep it up!

Spark
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    Apart from the giant fork, everything looks great laugh.gif
    can"t wait to see more, and especially that ghosty stuff in his belly smile.gif
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    this guy is definitely lookin heroic. not sure if thats what u were going with, but i dig it!
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is pretty sweet. i love how you resolved the legs and feet.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    very cool, really interesting concepting as usual smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an idea I was playing around with..."The Bard", air elemental who takes down the metal hordes with finely honed magical verses, amplified through his artifact amplified megaphone. Was thinking of designing a clockwork horse to go with him, but for now...meh. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

TheBard.jpg

So now I've got a dragon, flying tribesman, dude with buzzsaws (not shown), and a post-apocalyptic Shakespeare wannabe. Which one to go with...
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    They're all ace mate. I dig the second one the most though.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah I think you should pick one and develop it, but the bard is a nice and unique concept, ace goggles
    the pic before is also very cool. Quite different vibes between them, which mood are you in smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't choose :-) So I took elements I liked from the bird guy and bard, threw in a lightning blunderbuss, sparrow colors and a hefty helping of Keith Thompson. I'm in love, this should tide me over for the next few weeks. Also trying for a primitive gas mask there, heh.

sketch-5-web.jpg

sketch-5b-web.jpg

Name: Enlil
    Race: Human
    Class: Air/lightning invoker
    Weapon: Lightning blunderbuss
    Ammo: indisposable and infinitely charged runic battery

Key features:

Constructed wings grant Enlil unparalleled movement around the battlefield. Enclosed runic battery (air type) ensures silent operation.
    Airhead with revolving scope provides Enlil with an adequate supply of fresh breathing air at all times, at any altitude.
    Insulated wear guards Enlil from unwanted jolts.
    Springstep boots allow for cushioned landings, hasty takeoffs, and a bouncy sprint.
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    wow, the first was so solid yet seems like its being done, a lot... this one though. Very nice, and good idea on who to be inspired by wink.gif Looking forward to seeing the mechanics behind those wings.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That guy with the book, i believe, has the most potential. he's got a lot of personality
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    agreed, guy with book looks way more interesting !
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhhh sorry but I didn't think I could live with doing the bard for six weeks. Glad somebody likes it, but this one's got me more excited. :-)

I did a little work on the sketch mesh, still not in place are his jacket, harness, pouches, dagger, and various other doodads. I knocked out a quick Zsphere doll to test some poses, tweak the proportions, and to use as a base for all the other details. Fun times. :-)

sketchmesh-web.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Nice stuff!

I find he has small hands, no? smirk.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really liking the new concept, dude. Though the model at this stage is lacking all the things I like so much about the concept. The silhouette and form are really weak, its missing a whole lot of chunkiness! The shoulders and crotch area all seem to have been scaled back, everthing is extra thin and lanky.

-caseyjones
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's something I noticed too, but the geometry's too squishy at this point to get anything out of it. I'll go back to it with a fresh eye after work, beef him up, and a LOT of grit will be added back in with the final meshes. This is just a blueprint so I know what goes where and how big, and of course get some much needed crits. :-) Thanks man!

zoffty- yeah, the small hands are something I wanna try, since his gloves are going to be long and droopy. But the proportions aren't working just yet.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    that' slooking pretty dope man, great concept. will wait until you're done with the sketch mesh before giving any crit on the model itself, but it looks like it's going to be wicked smile.gif
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    looks awesome man. and great speed. you're well stomping through it
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    i dont know if someone has already mentioned it on here, but if you havnt seen them yet, check out this guy
    http://www.glumbert.com/media/kineticsculpture

amazing

im liking yours a lot, cant wait to see more
  • Supervlieg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supervlieg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great. I agree with the hands being a bit small though.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    this is looking really good. i think the arms can be shorter and the thighs as well just like in your amazing concept. also not feeling the puffiness of the cloth parts in the upper arm and thighs.

very original. good stuff!
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Looking really good Snowfly smile.gif

Cant you remove the beach-white-green leatherstrap (with the tubes on it) so that you see his face? At least i would feel more conected with the character. maby putting the book guys face in there?

btw great legs! smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thought I'd slip this in. That is not a man in the suit! :-)

Enlil-Face.jpg

Yeah, the disconnect was something I've been thinking about, so I'll have some organic bits exposed to make him into a character-character. Some gray fingers with black talon like fingernails, and a vulture eye showing threw the glass.

richkid those are awesome, thanks for posting those. I've had to rework the design a bit since people have been getting a very steampunk impression of the character, even though I've been careful about avoiding that. It's all the metal constructs they say frown.gif

Been busy, girlfriend time. I'll post some updates to the mesh after the weekend. Keep the crits coming, they are invaluable!
  • Diggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow i really love the design...it's he flow of the char and the play between old and new tech looks really awesome!!! modeling is really solid too i can't wait till to see it finished!!! smile.gif