Homeā€ŗ Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - JFletcher - Nos'tharuk - Warlord/Void

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
EDIT:

actually, cant be assed with the latest progress in the first post, just go to latest page confused.gif

original crap:

Hi! wink.gif

So yeah i didn't really hang around much after last years war, so consider this a new first post grin.gif

theme is awesome this year, so anyway, just reserving my spot, watch this space.

Here's what i gots so far grin.gif

wipzn1.jpg

i wanted to go further before posting a pic but its better to show something raw instead of butting into the comp later with something better.

so yeah, im not the best drawer, and i know im gonna get beaten to death for using lined paper! haha! but yeah that will be removed.

oh and im still wondering what my artifact can be, though im going for the darkness/void warlord. Ive lined out to the right of the image what appears to be some sort of fucking huge axe/pole-arm though. crazy.gif

MOAR SOON wink.gif

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    pretty decent sketch, though shame on you for the lined paper smile.gif
    if you're still in school, accept the fact that as an artist, "notebooks" are just sketchbooks that you carry to classes. you can still take proper notes if it's an emergency, but the rest of the time you won't be shooting yourself in the foot by having lined paper for drawing.

anyhow, he's alright, but more a minor tough than a legendary evil badass character. he's got an imposing enough stature, but there's no conceptual hook for the "artifacts" and the face especially is blandly familiar. take an inspiring ugly from nature, like a vulture or something, and run with it, or develop a better idea of what your artifact will be and then develop the concept around those lines. looking forward to where you take it smile.gif
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    looking sweet Jon , can't wait to see more. smirk.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looking cool, i really like the basic shape and armor detailing. Gauss has a point that it's a bit same-y, though.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    dude i love your 3d work cant wait to see what you come up with!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Sick sketch. Looks very promising.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

@ Gauss,

thanks man, your right, does seem a little same-ish, I've been looking over a few inspirational bits over the net and am thinking i might try and swap in a sort of dragon/lizard head, with a larger, beefier neck. all i got so far is this very simple sketch:

concepthead2wo9.jpg

it looks basic now, but I'll expand on it shortly, the idea will be to have a sort of tribal like pattern (being a sort of 'void consuming the outer body' rolling over parts of the face with etched in (?) markings/runes. Also some nifty head gear.

the whole light v dark thing. OK, technically, dark v even darker wink.gif

One thing that is bothering me, is how to get the look of anger on that face, without breaking the stuck up ends to the jaw.

not the best update but meh, still getting into the idea wink.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so ive decided to go with an aztec style to the armour etc. as well as the weird stonish like materials.

Heres a quick'ish nasty paintover to show kind of what i'll be going for (i have still yet to add the head armour (though tbh it will probably just be a 'ceremonial' piece or something that helps to contain the artifact, which i will explain later.)

concepthead2xj0.jpg

for a better picture, look at the head dress of Midna from twilight princess, that kind of shit:

astecgf7.jpg

its just that not being very great at drawing has made it quite difficult to go into those details. they'll become evident later on in the high poly.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    That's looking pretty cool. Are you going to add horns on the mask (like the Midna dude's)? That could make for an iteresting silhouette , along with his natural horns.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, some sort of hollow piece like that one with space in the middle, which will contain the artifact, though im still thinking up ideas of how i can get something like that on the head without making the character look stupid/gay wink.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I've painted over some quick ideas for helms/head-pieces. I'm currently leaning towards B...

helmetsdh6.jpg

though it would be cool to get green tooth in there somehow like in C, and it also gives it a tribal/war design.

F FTW! wink.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    if you make the ting green, than c would be cool..

but i think you can make them even more interesting

and f ftw *G*
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya i agree with that, though i cant really think of much to do with the shape, which wont ultimately turn out looking like an elite from halo, i'll give it another shot though.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Loved your DWII entry, looking forward to what you pump up this year. Id go with B, or anything that straps his mouth shut since it revolves well around the 'dominance' theme.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    very nice designs

cant wait to see the full concept
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    anybody else thinkg that D looks like abe lincoln?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, it was far worse than that before, i added a bit more over the front of the head, made it look like Mr. T wink.gif
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i think you should combine D and F and make a amish dragon.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, another project for another day wink.gif

ok, so after seeing Gauss' paint over it put me in an awkward position, and alot of what was done was really drawing me in, so I've decided to go a similar way:

wiplm7.jpg

ok, its basic now, but im starting to get rid of the sketch and block out some stuff.

I loved the idea of all the small creatures crammed together into the thing, working together, but i still felt that with that i needed a center of attention, a dominant figure amongst them if you will. the dragon'ish approach didn't fit well into this so I've gone the way of something like the original head/more beast like.

One thing i didn't want to take on though was a space suit/armour that has degraded through time and used again, whilst it would look pretty cool, i think this contest is going to be heavily judged on how 'fantasy' things look. Taking a futuristic armour set and making it degraded could turn out to be a cheap shot or give the impression that i didn't really have anything imaginative to come up with. wink.gif

still though it looks pretty generic in places, but i am still working on that. I will have more the show soon.

And thanks again Gauss, appreciate the paint over, hope i can take it somewhere good laugh.gif

oh, and ignore the shitty axe for now.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I think it looks very cool and in no way generic! smile.gif
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss did you good, haha. That head is going to be fun to sculpt.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some crazy ass tentacle shit going on now.

wipvw6.jpg

starting to really get into this, though still kind of indecisive about the colours, though i have to say i like the 'pulled out of the sewer'/mossy look, which would work well on some parts of the armour.

the weird tentacles, in my head, appear more like roots of some void magic (like that black gooey shit in spider-man 3 maybe?) which i find a nifty addition. I'd like to go further with it, perhaps have it ensnaring the body.

edit:

tweaked the pose/proportions a bit, this guy/thing is gonna have a fairly big gut. crazy.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pic updated wink.gif

any suggestions? I'll have some weapon and artifact concepts up soon wink.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i really like it man ! like a male Sarah kerrigan ! keep going, finish the concept i like the direction you are gonig with it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Those are lovely subtle colours.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys wink.gif

last update before sleep, just filling in some stuff for the lower body:

wiprj3.jpg

i got the idea for the hanging scrolls from an awesome warhammer online (i think?) character concept i saw. :P
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit:

... nevermind, sucked balls anyway, back to the drawing board wink.gif
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks kool. Have you worked out the weapon yet? I personally liked it better when you didnt have those tentacles...
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    this ones getting better and better, love what you are doing
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys wink.gif

@clee101,

although i highly value your opinion, the tentacles (although i am going to try my best to stray away from the feeling that they are/look like tentacles) are what really kicked it up for me and gave me a boost of ideas on how to go forward and finish the thing.

but thanks, appreciate the words wink.gif

wipeq0.jpg

again, not much progress, but bear with me, i tend to be slow at this stage (especially with lower body armour/attire)

that said, the armour on the foot is VERY W.I.P, and will certainly not just be a randomly placed whole plate like that.

gay/weird explanation about the artifact

the thing wrapped at the top is the artifact, pure elemental void. it extracts all matter from a given region replacing it with null existence. This is how i believe the warps between the worlds (as described on the site as our only form of advanced travel/communication) were/are created, by ridding areas of their existence, vacuums are created, which are linked to nearby similarities.

so simply put, this is what creates our portals, and there are few in existence, given only to those who have the strength to defend it.

however by using the artifact it binds with the user and 'part-sacrifices' them (thats my say on how souls/beings have mutated into his body) wink.gif

to make it 'more than just a stone' I'll be making it so that this power has been harnessed to be combined with the users weapons, which will somehow appear slightly physically linked to the stone.

end of gay/weird explanation about the artifact

i have weapon concepts both in mind and on paper, though they kind of suck tbh, either i need to shape up with my drawing real quick, or go ahead with something i have perfectly laid out in my head, though it could be dangerous without an actual concept. confused.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the pointless bump ooo.gif

something about it when i mirrored it made me think of one of those Scot highland warriors laugh.gif

wipsz9.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • JoanPetit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very cool Jonathan, nice desing and colors smile.gif
    I just would say that maybe it has to many elements holding around that dont let you see the figure of the model well.
    Looking awesome anyway.
    Good luck! wink.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, yeah it does look a bit noisy around the legs, in the model that will probably be smaller, if it helps. Also i think thats kind of enough for the legs and wont be putting on anything to cover the sides, want a bit of the body showing wink.gif

thanks for the crit man.

I've started on the base of the model, I'll show something soon.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Cool, i like all these ornaments
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    w.i.p of the bust,

kind of meh.

busttm4.jpg

might start again, it randomly offset on export so its no longer aligned with the low poly, and i guess i could model a bit more in. but we'll see.
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, but I like it. Keep truckin!
  • Smooth_Criminal
    You got the rocky details very nicely, looks cool.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks,

work in progress of the high poly base base mesh (which i'll port to ZB when finished etc. etc.)

wipmodelgw8.jpg

not very interesting at the mo, bear with me. confused.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got some lower body stuff done today...

wipmodeleb9.jpg

been having some distractions lately, kind of slow frown.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipmodelno6.jpg

not much more, but shows where im going with the other shoulder, also a "smudge-over" to show what the 'void-roots' might look like, very dark and swamp like.

might play with the idea that they flow in the same way of his anatomy in places, like a couple over the arms grouped in the same form of the muscles
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looking slick dude! I really like this, keep it up.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man wink.gif

just ported some stuff to ZB and have started on some organics:

wipsculptul4.jpg

not far, but kind of shows where im going, and how the skin will look over the muscles etc.

more soon!

edit:

i really need to show the weapons soon before anything else, i'll hopefully get something up soon to show the direction im going.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    its coming smile.gif

but always try to keep some clear lines and shapes.. jie its a busy-design but nonetheless you can keep some places simple and plain to get a balance

not sure but for e.g. the drilled rope-thing might be too much.. there is so much going on at the chest-area
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. your right about the chest/stomach, i will work on that (in the concept the chest belt is further to the side making the tattoo/stomach area more visible, I'll see what i can do..

cheers for the crit
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    looking cool man, however, I would tone down the fine detail on the sculpt (skinpores,etc), that will only result in adding noise to the normlmap, while that can easily be done with a nice additional bumpmap that you can tweak at will in your renderer, at least that's how I do it tongue.gif.

I like the face a LOT and the armor seems to flow quite nicely smile.gif can't wait to see more man.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, not sure what you mean by the skinpores etc. i tend to do that as a seperate bump map too, but i think any details ive done are difficult to do on a bump map (stretches/folds between skin/muscles)

i see what you mean though, thanks for the advice, i'll keep that in mind throughout the rest of the sculpt. wink.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BLAH!

wipsculptheadsb3.jpg

messy as shit, but i like the crumbly effect blush.gif
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    don't go overboard with detail! This armor stuff might turn out as a huge undefined blob! The skin, basemodel and concept are nice!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i will try to tone down the noise blush.gif

wipmodelku0.jpg

i wasn't too fond of the root like belt for the other shoulder, when sculpted only made that area look weirdly complicated.

those stones/runes sort of link magically, in case you happen to wonder why they are floating grin.gif

oh and yeah the stomach area looks pretty stupid right now, with that weird hard edge etc. that will be fixed.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Nice concept work, nice job on the model too.