Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Brute: Real-Time Game Model

Mind Traveler
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Mind Traveler polycounter lvl 16
Anwar-Bey-Taylor-OrcBRUTE.jpg

Here is a Character I recently completed. I call him the Orc Brute. I used 3ds Max to create the base mesh/skinning/mesh optimization, MudBox to create the high poly sculpture, headus UV-layout for UVs, xnormal to bake normal maps and AO maps, and finally Photoshop to create textures. Real time rendering using the xnormal 3d viewer.

Hope you guys enjoy.

-Anwar Bey-Taylor

Replies

• Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty sweet. I love the shoulder pads and armor in general. Can we check out the wire?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Really cool looking. The main crit that stands out to me is your specular colors all look to be pretty much saturated brighter versions of your diffuse. Also the dark red plate on his belly looks oddly solid-colored compared to everything else.
  • The_Phantom_Tophat
    He looks really nice. The silver metal seems off to me though, I'd almost like to see the metal a little darker in the diffuse so you can see the specular on it better. It would also be nice to see some variation in the metal, right now the heavy metal armor and the smaller metal buckles are the same.
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

more shots.
    AnwarBey-Taylor-Orc-Full-armor.jpg
    Anwar-Bey-Taylor-Contruct1.jpg
    Anwar-Bey-Taylor-Contruct2.jpg

-Anwar Bey-Taylor
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spec value is wayyyy to even, seems like skin and metal have the same or close value, just different color. Skin should have very little spec while metal should have much much more. Right now your materials dont really read much different. It might help a bit to use a spec sharpness map, so you can have dull reflections for the skin and sharper relfections on the metal and leather.

Render could be quite a bit better too, the really harsh dark shadows and doom3 type spec really hurt what is really a pretty good model.
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys have some really good points about the spec. I made some adjustments. Let me know if you think this is delievering better. Thank you.

new spec applied
    OrcSpectest1.jpg
    revised spec flat
    abspec-testflat.jpg
    -Anwar Bey-Taylor
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    I think you have great detail on the sculpted one but your choice in colors and the amount of contrast your putting in them is taking all that detail away. try putting more contrast through the specular than the diffuse i think that will punch up your detail significantly
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The dark red inner plate still isn't reading well. Maybe up the spec on it specifically? It'll still be darker than its surroundings, but the details on it will be clearer.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    This is pretty sick man. Warhammer?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    this looks really solid. something is bugging me though: you can get more texture res if you don't UV map the entire belly/back area that is totally invisible in the model. if you would've deleted the belly area.....attached the area just below the pecs to the armor...you could've saved a lot of texture space.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I like it a lot, but my only complaint is, while it's quite good technically, it seems to lack character, this would be good for an "after next gen" rts unit. I feel bad, because I don't know what is making it look so anonymous, maybe it's because you can barely see its eyes, as eyes give things a great deal of character.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Have you assigned the diffuseGI(ambient cubemap) texture slot in xNormal? That would enhace a bit the lighting appearance.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    I like him, I think he has tons of character! btw I love your presentation!