Home Technical Talk

Normal map baking: Heads with open mouths. How to?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
East polycounter lvl 14
When you guys bake normal maps for a head, and the final character is supposed to have an emotable open mouth, do you model the high polygon source model with an open mouth? Or do you model it with the mouth closed, bake, and then afterwards "cut" the mouth up, and adjust the normal map accordingly?

I've been experimenting with both a bit, and have had some mixed results. To get a good result with an open mouth high polygon source I have to bake the normal map with the mouth pretty much wide open to avoid pinching at the corners.

So out of curiosity, how do you guys handle this?

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Editing the normal map in Photoshop, but only because I don't rely on the bake for everything. It's just a small area worth of pixels anyway, and not that complex.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I guess it all boils down to how good you are at editing normal maps by hand smile.gif It is definitely a skill I need to work on.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd try casting the outside separate from the inside top separate the from inside bottom... baking each low-poly area independently of the others. In 3dsmax you can set the Projection to only hit the matching material ID.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am veering towards mouth closed and cut open after. seems the most hassle free solution for me anyway
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i model the mouth attatched to the model, in a closed position, then remove the entire mouth, invert the polygons, and bake.

when i've baked, i invert the polies again, and flip the appropriate normalmap RGB channels, and attatch the mouth again. works fine, with minimal hassle (really how hard is it to select a group of polies and click detach).
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess it all boils down to how good you are at editing normal maps by hand smile.gif It is definitely a skill I need to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo everyone should get their hands dirty with hand editing normal maps at least once or ten. but it's a good question. :-)