Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Atlas Mech

Lynx
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Lynx polycounter lvl 12
Here's my latest work, the 100-ton Atlas from the Battletech universe I made for a game mod, 2141 tris.

fsatlasjs1.jpg

altasdone3jv2.jpg

altasdoneqz7.jpg

altasdone2ro6.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Can you post up some wires? I can tell you at the moment the texture looks like a first pass, it's just grey with detail added in, you need to alter some of the panels now, different shades of grey, also add some other detail like dirt and grime are those guns or just techy bits? Add some oil where the parts that move would be that has dripped down, etc?

Is this a new Atlas mech or has it been in service awhile? If so it needs some wear and tear, soem battle scars,etc..

good start though.
  • Lynx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lynx polycounter lvl 12
    Deckard: Thanks alot for the crits! smile.gif
    Its supposed to be well maintained since its a military vehicle but a little worn nonetheless, guess I didn't do enough weathering. blush.gif

By altering, you mean randomly darken/lighten the panels?
    Yes, those are guns. I can't remember the exact loadout, but the ones on the chest are missile launchers, on the hip is a gauss rifle and the ones on the arms are lasers.

Thanks for the idea about the leaking lubricants, definitely going to do another pass on this texture. smile.gif

Here's the wires:
    wiresqv9.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    for an object that large in game, it seems way too undetailed, especially at the feet if the mod allows for infantry combat as well.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'd darken the weapon barrel holes considerably, especially the LRM launchers in the chest.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I appreciate what you were trying to do; metal will catch the light at the edges, and panels will generally get scratches there more than anywhere else, but what you've got is far too uniform and it looks like you've overlayed the wireframe onto the texture. I'd go back in there and pick out specific places where light would hit it. don't just put them around every shape.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ^^^^ all good

plus id like to say that rendering with AO isnt the best solution for a diffuse only character like this, get it to POP without fancy lighting or bake it in, much more appropriate
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    it looks too much like if it one of those paper models that you cut and glue to make it get shape frown.gif work alot more on the shape and the texture man , really good comments here.
  • Lynx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lynx polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys, thanks alot for the crits! laugh.gif

JKMakowka: Its for an RTS mod, but do you mean undetailed poly-wise or the texture?

Valandar: I didn't realise it until you pointed it out. O_o Will fix it, thanks!

Sectaurs: You're totally right, I used the wires. Thanks alot for the crits, it really does look too uniform lol.

SHEPEIRO: I actually did bake in the shadows using AO. Do you mean that its better to hand-paint in the shadows for this?

Johny: not sure what you mean about the shape, I used quite a few references for this but I used this model heavily for the basic shape.