Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zombie commando

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nkoste polycounter lvl 18
Bobo's orc set me off to recreate a model and this was my choice. Textures still need work and sharpening up, but it's getting there. Standing 1260 tris with two maps and a third one for binocular glow which isn't done yet.

Doom Commando

Crits appreciated - especially on texturing.

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    There's good definition on your texture, but they all look like they're the same material. Make your skin look more alive, and soft feeling. Make the cloth fall more on the body with the texture work. Make what's metal have even the slightest spec. As for his drill/spike arm, make it look more spike and drill like (narrow it down as it tapers to the end. And in the texture for it, make it look cylindrical as it flows down.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    You are off to a good start but you need to work some more colors into your textures. Some blues in the bloody areas will help make things pop and some greens and yellows in the flesh. Think about what rotten meat looks like, blues, yelows greens even some purples will really make a difference. Vary the colors of your shading instead of having it just a darker shade of the base.

As for the model I would suggest you narrow the abdominal area, it should help to balance your proportions a bit. Just because its a zombie dosen't mean it should have different anatomy, get some anatomy reffs and tweak your proportions acordingly.

Good stuff so far though, keep it up.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with whats being said, looks good but the texture come off as too flat and desatuated. Stuff usually consist of many colors, even tho the overall appearance might be ex. blue.

I cant quite renember the d3 concept, but that arm looks almost like a lolipop ^^. Might help to "skew" the lines a lil, and/or add something to break the symmetry.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The left arm looks totally tacked on.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the textures. I've worked in some colors which you were all right about thanks. I might do some slight geometry changes when I'm done texturing.

Thanks for the comments guys.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Some realistic muscle and zombie references would help you with the anatomy and color problems.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool, but you could definitely stand to go much darker and more contrasty on the textures, at the moment everything looks really bright and the larger sections could contrast more in their overall values.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Nkoste, first let me just tell you ive always really enjoyed your work. i think your busts were great. what i think puts this work slightly below is the fact you are painting a much larger scale (physically), and as a result your light source application loses focus. For example, why would the hand be as bright? Why such a strong highlight in the bottom face of the gooey stuff, under the armpit? Keep your forms rendered according to THE light source (above him?) and not so independently.
    In this example, I made some areas not as bright as others, a la "fading light source", but its equally possible to render everything with the same light intensity, and with minimal cast shadowing.

nokoste.JPG

other pointers - keep your detail level consistent, and possibly focus on several key areas. Right now, the stone gets much more detail than the face?!?!?! hax!

break down more parameters of your artwork and compare their values to find what needs balance. If you are having problem with colors - look at what you have: mid-low saturation green vs. high saturation red. try toning the red down. and if you have bright orange - try putting bright blue somewhere.
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Cool model and texture!
    I only think u could increase the pant´s contrast a bit more and pull some vertices in the shoulder area. Like this:
    nkoste.jpg

Cheers!
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys

Thanks for a great crit shotgun. I've implemented some of the things you talked about, but i'd already gone with trying to have the same light intensity, which is new to me. I learned some.
    The face has got a lot more detail now.
    I've tried to balance the color, but basically what I do is work with color overlays which isn't that effective.
    Good luck on the job hunt. I know I'd like to be your co-worker.

Ultra, thanks will try and minimize the shoulder. Forgot to do it with this render though and I'm kinda eager to finish it. Let's see...

I'll upload the new maps later, I'm off to get some beers.

Shot out of wings!! ...and then some photoshop.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the final images, which I've put on my webpage. The shoulder is gonna stay bulky, it's part of his mutation.

I'm calling it finished and now I really need to start packing cause I'm moving tomorrow.

zcc2.jpg
    zcc_tex.jpg
    zcc3.jpg
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this looks way better good job.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    one last thing to make it shine...id give the fleshy red parts more of a tight spec,,...so little tiny white areas...check out horribledeath.com for what I mean.

dave
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work nkoste! grin.gif
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I did use the hard light painting technique from his site. All my gear's packed away now unfortunately so no more work on this guy. I agree a few fleshy areas could be tightened up.
    I could use a great LoD maker though and sneak him in the low poly comp. That's one great theme and it sucks not being able to enter.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    looks sweet! like the textures so far. i agree with ultra's crit. deltoid and traps should meet at that bone junction.