Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Slag WIP

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
A concept I'm working on for a class. The creature is slimy, like that of a leech, and lacks a super definitive form (but as you can see, it still has a form---it's not just a blob).

I still need to finish its hands and spine spikes. But as I do that, I'd appreciate any comments and critiques. It's my first time using a different workflow--I edge modeled this rather than box modeling it.I also plan on taking it into ZBrush, especially since they're teaching it to us at school now (hence all the quads). Any and all help is greatly appreciated....

Model Sheet SlagModelSheet.jpg
Wires
slag_wire3.jpgslag_wire2.jpgslag_wire1.jpg

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I would say to shift the arms into a natural position for them to be in.. maybe a 45 degree or more angle, and don't forget extra cuts around the elbows for deformation I don't think they will be underground much (or will they be? the fingers almost look like roots)
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'll need to move its arms. For the project, I'm not animating or skinning it, but I should set it up for later use. The fingers are supposed to be whip like---what are your suggestions to make them read more that way?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aw I was hoping for one of the two fat slags..

probably too many vertical loops in the arms and head for the shape
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fat slags? Eh??? I don't get the ref :-(

I was thinking that about the poly count. A friend of mine referenced me to Gavin's Leviathan project overview, and since I was going to take it into ZBrush after this, I wanted to have the silhouette down like Gavin did (still trying to find my own workflow when it comes to character modeling). Should I still reduce the poly count though? How does the silhouette and the poly flow read?
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on Slag. C&C are greatly appreciated.

Whip Fingers
    slag_update3.jpg

Spikes slag_update2.jpg