Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

felix < character

Its amazing how long you can "do" something, and in the end really have nothing to show for it. I've been working on my portfolio, as it contained zero characters I desided it was about time I'd made one. Its not that I havent tried in the past, but it usually ended with me sending my laptop flying, fistshakes and cursing at the skies.

I really wanted input from you guys during the process, but I've been without an internet connection for some time =/. At this time its more or less done. Still needs fixes (like seams etc.), but other then that fin...

Tho I probably wont make any huge changes, crits are still very much appreciated. My next project most likely will be yet another character, and I really need to learn more.

This was my original concept. I realize the end result differ quite alot, but at the same time I didn't wanna restrict my self too much (Didn't even paint the lower half of hes body :P).

felix03.jpg

Heres the endresult, realtime in xnormal with normalmaps/specs and a diffuseGI (+glow).

felix01.jpg

And some wires.

felix02.jpg

Enjoy grin.gif

Replies

• PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I think the "long" head he had in the concept fit him better. Might want to look over the proportions aswell, right now the torso looks VERY long while the legs are really stumpy, maybe thats the look you were aiming for? Also it looks like something is missing in the textures, they look a bitflat and unpolished, especially the stomach area, looks like something is missing there.
    But it's a good start!
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit pixel. I knew hes proportions where/are off, but I've been so busy fixing other problems, I didnt notice it was that much (the pants are suppose to be "baggy" tho).

I've keept the front quite clean as it in a sense adds to hes almost mutated back. But I definitely see your point.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the proportions a lil.

felix04.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    he have dressed his armor before-hand.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    You probably should have painted the lower half of this character. It's hard to see where you're going with the proportions. Is it a stylish choice? If it is it doesn't come across. Pixelgoat is right about the long torso and the short, stumpy legs.
    In the concept he seems feline, but the model proportions, mainly because of the short legs, make me associate him more with a hamster TBH.
    I've made a gif where I've corrected the proportions to that of a normal human, but I don't have any way of hosting it right now. I can mail it to you if you want?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'd personally tweak the proportions like this:
    scumtweakws4.jpg

The long torso and short legs just really throws the look off.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nkoste

Yes I should have painted the entire concept, and maby gone abit more into details. Theres no real excuse for it other then time. Also with it being my first real character, keeping things loose gave more room for changing an/or adding new things.

The style isnt suppose to be real nor toonish. At first I thought about doing the textures much like the concept art (painter'ish brush..). Considering I'd use both normal maps and specs, I settled kinda in the middle.

Any refs would be great, I'll send you a pm.

@dfacto

Dagm, a space hobbit :P

Seems everyone wanna get rid of the vest ^^.

Even more tweaks below. Keeping in mind that hes pants are suppose to be baggy.

felix05.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Huh. That's interesting. His back is his front. Was that intentional or just a silly mishap?

I agree with what the other posters are saying---he looks truncated. I think it's partially because he doesn't have "feet', but I'm sure you can work around that since you don't have "feet" in your concept.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Start over on the model.

Model it like the concept. I know you said you didn't want the concept to restrict you, when in fact, it looks like you just got lazy as you modeled and just did what was easy, instead of doing what looked good.

Go back, finish the concept, stick to it.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a front orto today (not really finished), made a few changes. Might recreate him, donno yet... guess its good practice.

:edit- updated orto.

felix_new_orto.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i was wondering why the back of the body armoro had molded pecs and abs
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the orto above. Will most likely make a new model, but w/o normal and spec (just traditional texturing).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Thats an insanely dense mesh for what it is.

you could run the model with half the polygons to very much the same effect.
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    i like the new concept smile.gif the 3d model seems a strange dwarf
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally got some more time on my hands, and have started making the mesh based on the new orto.

Heres the progress so far. (the arms are not done)

felix_wires.jpg

Model isnt optimized yet, and hanging around 700 tris. Im really trying to find a good way to model, so far I havent come across one. Guess it'll come with more practice, or rather I hope.

Input is greatly valued as usual.

-cas
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking way better. He's probably going to need loopy things so his legs can bend etc right?
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Huge improvement!