Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Gun

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
soulstice polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, this is an assignment I had to do for a gun. The final tri count is sitting just under 1700. Any critiques or comments are welcome!

Untitled-1.jpg

diffusegun.jpg

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks incredibly uncomfortable to hold.

i like the dark gray metal texture.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    agreed, nothing about it is functional, the blades would rarely be used the way they are dysplayed , and all the weight is in the fron ot the gun, assuming that you would need one hand to hold it it would be constantly be falling to the front. Other than that i like the texture and the colors smile.gifspecular map could be pushed a bit further me thinks...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    23? Is this michael jordan's blade gun? This is really a prett bad design overall, very boxy and nonsensical. 2 blades that make it completely imposible to hold the weapon without cutting your hand open and then jsut ramdom shapes and extrusions thrown on top. Also it's wearing a hat.

That said what you have is solidly exectuted, model and textures are good work you just really need to spend WAY more time designing.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Would've been better to pimp your design first...anyways when building it, must figure out how to hold it, other functions and other factors like "How do I reload" if any.

The gun from the start has no clear visible indication on how to with any of these.

And its grip's way too small to hold.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    heck the trigger itself looks like it would cut you really good effort!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looking at it again...the magazine is also kind of questionable "It looks like it can only hold 5 rounds" which a regular service pistol can carry more...

On the side note the design looks awfully similar to a Scorpion just that with some decals and plates.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its a really good solid model but it reminds me of cheesy scifi. I think thats because alot of the details dont really look like they provide any sort of function.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the critique. I agree with you guys on the flaws of the design. I had very little time to flesh out a concept and model+texture this due to the demanding schedule we have at school. But not trying to use that as an excuse, it did seem to me as a bit awkward functionality wise as I was doing more texturing and rendering.

gconcept.jpg
    This was the original concept that was submitted ahead for approval, my instructor did make a note on the big-ass handle. =) It was toned down a bit in the final model, I guess not enough.

Aside from the design flaws, anyone have critiques on texturing?

Looking to improve.

Thanks guys!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    posting the texture flats is a good way to get some critiques on the texture. as it stands, it looks a bit flat - is it using a spec map? diffuse seems to be pretty good - as I mentioned, I think the dark gray parts turned out the best.

nice concept, i like it's proportions better than the final model.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops sorry.

Here is the diffuse and spec map(not really sure how to create one this is my first attempt). Original size for textures are 1024.

diffuse.jpg
    spec.jpg