Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Statue, cloth, again

StrangeFate
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
She's getting there, didn't have time to work on her for a while but i'm on it again...
Once upon a time she was gonna be baked as an ingame prop but wont happen anymore.
I'll probably UV map her and see what i can get done with the better modo301 painting tools.

The folds on her right hip are being redone, didn't fit.

gyrender5.jpg

gyrender7.jpg

gystatue4.jpg

Replies

• Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    I think you should be happy with what you got, very nice piece. I see what you mean about the hip folds, I would like to see the folds on the left mirrored over to her right (some symmetry). Only other thing is the hands feel a little big, maybe its me.

Really nice work.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    needs more green IMO and some crates, too

lookin' gud dude, but I already told you, so I'm gona stop here, your ego is going to grow and fullfil your office till it reaches Martin's desk if you get too much praise laugh.gif
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Great work. I think the drapery along the breasts could use some refinment..hard to find good breast drapery ref...most Mary sculptures are boobless... this might help

Nike Sculpt Although the folds on the Nike scuplt gain alot from how it's laid on her shoulder
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    damn nice man. great style and flow to the folds. i like the caramel type feel to the arm drapery. face looks awesome. a few crits. the fold hanging off of the side of her left boob feels off to me. also the cavity below that and above the hip seems strange. seems like there should be more of a flow from the hip to the pit but tough to say. other main thing is the crease behind the knuckles on the hands. it looks like an extra row of knuckles rather than a fold in the skin. seems too prominent. anyway this is awesome work. smile.gif
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    The feet could be much more dainty. Her right leg has a fold on the thigh giving the impression that the knee is higher up the leg than it actually is.
    In general though, I think the pose is very...not-classical? There isn't a lot of movement in the statue, she's just kind of standing there. Or maybe it's the way her feet are spread apart? She looks like a model (the occupation) rather than a statue. Eh, hope that makes sense. Maybe throw in some contrapposto.

Other than that, this is looking really great so far. Awesome job with the folds.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed on the knuckles...plus I think an easier to fix the folds on the chest would be to straighten up the folds a little bit...they're usually only draped like that when there's little volume.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heey thanks all.

Yeah sorry, i'll throw in some green lights and will make the material more 'wet', cause that's like sooo quality next gen. THe backround there is already a crate!

Jokes aside... Yeah, her hands are a problem, i'm planning on fixing them on the base mesh but not for this statue anymore. The rigging around the hands was rather simple too.
    I'll maybe go in and tweak the area around the knuckles by hand

She was meant to be a graveyard statue and a rather still guardian.
    The folds on her right leg/hip are gone.

hmm i can see right now what i can do about the cavity on the side, easy fix.
    I won't go crazy with folds tho, already did that on the last statue if anybody remembers and i wanted to stick to the larger more defining and visible folds.
    The thought behind it (besides it being a nice style) was that it would be less noisy and easier to read... and hopefully more pleasing and softer to look at.

I had a really good source for the breasts area (whoops) soo things probably won't change there ...and yes, most Mary sculpts were frustratingly boobless.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool!
    i agree with spacey that her feet look pretty huge.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Wow, awesome folds! smile.gif
    Do you model the folds with loops or do you just sculpt them?
    The nose looks a bit strange to me, like its pressed together at the tip.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll see what i can do abot the feet... still using the orc base mesh feet which are bigger...

Folds are modeled, can't say i pay much attention to loops at all there.

gywires.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, drapery's not doing it for me. As was said earlier, looks more like half-melted caramel. In a weird way it reminds me of a caramel apple. I know you're going for a stylistic look, but it seems a bit inconsistent.

Maybe too late to change, but maybe you can add some harder edges here and there, show where the cloth is breaking its stress, starting to form folds perpendicular to the drape. Not describing it well.

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/citta/0wd-Pieta.jpg

Bad repro, but look at her right shoulder. Same kind of stylistic softness you're talking about, but Michelangelo adds some creasing/breaking here and there, reproduces more of the feel of drapery. A bit busy around the neck, but you get the point. And hey, is that a nipple way down there? smile.gif Nice.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i really like this man, the hands skin looks really awesome but i think that that skin bulge looks a tad extreme, she would have to be a tad fatter ? anyway add a tad more small fold and you have winsauce. Really awesome...:)
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    hey SF, nice work! the cloth has a real weight to it which is great but its almost too perfect because its all large folds/wrinkles. I think if you soften some, and add additional line of tension across the the cloth you could avoid this smile.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.
    Still haven't tweaked hands or feet... will really do, yeah.

I wont add smaller wrinkles for the above mentioned reasons.

Johny - I have no idea what you just said but i'll use my fantasy.

gyrender6.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refreshing to see some cool polymodeling, nice stuff mario. yay modo!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    that's some huge feets!
    nice work, man.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't suggesting smaller wrinkles, but rather finessing the ones you already have. But like you said you're going for a softer style.