Home General Discussion

California Fires!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
So the fires are massive here. Yesterday we took a walk to where the view was nice and we could see fires from all different areas. Only till this morning did the smoke set in, luckily most our windows were closed, you can't really go outside without a face mask.

I took some pictures from my house and despite the smoke, we're safe here in oceanside. How's everyone else in California doing?

fire.jpg
fire2.jpg
fire3.jpg

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man. Glad to see you guys are ok. I know they are burning all over this year and it doesn't look like it's letting up any time soon. I know the Cedar fires were terrible a few years back but this year could be even worse.

Hope you guys are staying safe. Keep us updated. Right now I don't miss San Diego.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah it stinks. My family had to evacuate their house. Luckily it hasn't burned down.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ya, buddy of mine back home in simi sent me these yesterday during the middle of the day or so...

pa210088sssey6dz2.jpg

pa210089sssgp4uo5.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I know a bunch of people who had to evacuate. Luckily the fires aren't anywhere near either of my homes in LA or Sacramento. It really sucks that all these fires happened like this. Theres no way the firefighters can contain them right now. I just hope they dont get too much worse. Maybe it'll rain...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    yea my buddy had to get relocated himself, except hes military, he had a family he was trying to evacuate and they were actually trying to force him to come to work during all of that.

Freakin Nazi's man
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    yeah my photos didn't show how yellow it was. It's so eerie when everything turns yellow. It's like wearing blueblocker sunglasses.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    heres an updated google map showing the fires and giving stats on how many acres burned, whats contained, and how many houses destroyed or damaged

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&a...mp;ll=35.960223,-117.443848&spn=4.827737,8.876953&z=7

You can switch into the hybrid view and see all the houses next to some of these fires.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    My wife and I almost had to evacuate Sunday night. The Santiago Rd fire was extremely close to our apartment complex. We were watching two huge blazes from the parking lot. Luckily, the firefighters were able to turn it back.

The fire in Irvine is still spreading, but in a different direction from where I live. I hope they can put it out soon.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Yea came within 3 miles of my house today. Never got to scary here, worst thing that happened to be was I left my windows down a crack on my car and the whole inside of my car is covered in ash. I'm so stupid haha.

Took this yesterday morning when shit started to hit the fan.

fire_2007_pan_02.jpg

Only good thing that comes out of this is that I don't have to go to class for a week. Sucks though, probably going to have double the workload next week when GH3 comes out confused.gif
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Bloody hell, times like this I kinda thank my lucky stars for British weather heh.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    We get bushfires almost every year here in Australia due the lack of rain we've been getting throughout the year. Its really insane seeing everything yellowed out and smoke blocking out the sky.
    Stay safe Cali-counters.

-caseyjones
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I'm actually looking at the Irvine fire outside my bedroom window right now. So far we haven't been evacuated, but the fire is working closer and closer so we will have to wait and see what happens.

Here was the first sign of the fire, a big ominous cloud rolling in

DSCN0566.jpg

Here is the view from my office on Monday morning

Fire03.jpg

Here is the view from my driveway on Monday night

Fire01.jpg

Here is the view from my driveway at 6 pm on Tuesday (today).

DSCN0571.jpg

There are some other assorted pictures in that directory that me and my roomates have taken over the past 2 days.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I wonder how my great aunt in Irvine's doing...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, some of those pics are just erie... hope you guys all stay safe and you get some rain soon. It's too bad we still haven't discovered how to induce rain :/
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    We'll just do what the Russians did, launch chemical missiles into the clouds to induce chemical rain...heh anyways, I hope they get the situation under control x3
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Todays the third day they canceled work. Hope this thing clears up soon, tough times for us contractors.