Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game character

Hi
this is the last character I did. It is about 12800tri for the character and about 2k for the gun. I just started to build my portfolio and this is the first thing I came up with laugh.gif I really do hope you like it :-)
I’d like to get some feedback on this because I am still learning and I feel that I could do better than this :/ so please fill free to post any comments on it smile.gif

I hope i did't messedup anthing this is my 2 post here laugh.gif

35fa6259a8a39748.jpg

d23f4408fc933203.jpg

d36db4da30ce4e60.jpg

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Normal map is pretty good. Diffuse is passable. Spec is an absolute disaster, and turning what could be an amazing art piece into something really boring and mundande. Restart it, completely (*EDIT: The specular map, that is). Look at some other spec maps (these two from domwar1 are a nice start:
    http://dominancewar.com/1/finals/team_2/7_mrRockstar/4.htm
    http://dominancewar.com/1/finals/team_1/21_mrkite/4.htm ) and make one that looks halfway decent, and you're have an awesome portfolio piece.

Some adjustments on the diffuse to be better for this nextgen stuff map, and a real, well made specular map will make a world of difference.

editedit: I also don't like a face that photochopped on a texture that otherwise looks kinda painted, normally, but I guess it's working alright in this case. Still may wanna see about painting over the face a bit. Especially if you're looking for ut2k4 style, which this reminds me of.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Very much comprised of win dude! She looks like she'd fit right into Unreal 3 grin.gif

The one thing that's jumping out to me as weird is that everything has the same specularity power. The metal, the skin, and the hair all seem to reflect at the same level, which removes alot of the realism you seemed to be going for.
    Try pushing the spec map's brightness is some area's, perhaps even adding some color into it (though I'm not sure whether that would show in an engine, if you plan on taking it that far). That would really help push this piece over the top.

And welcome to polycount man! What school are you going to?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    try taking away some of the brightness in the spec map in certain areas. also, simplify it, distinguishing cloth, skin, hair, and different types of metal/armor. consider what a spec map is doing, instead of adding a filter to an existing map. it doesn't need all the details of the diffuse. the face texture has too much contrast. added with the bright spec, she looks well bronzed. not realistic.

plus, spelling error in your screenshot. "noramal"
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice. fix that spec map.

on a personal note, the armor design is interesting, if extremely odd and impracticable, and the facial tattoos make me cry.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap thats awesome! The high poly sculpt is jaw dropping.

The spec needs adjusting, mostly in the flesh, hair and cloth. They are way to shinny. The flesh color is a bit too yellow/orangeish even for someone with "olive skin" its too much. These pieces have the same treatment in the spec (highpass filter) as the metal parts which is killing her human qualities. Those areas of the spec map need to be a lot darker. And I think you can go a long way in faking some Sub Surface Scattering in the flesh.

Adjust that spec and the flesh tone and you'll leave me drooling =)

Paint Over
    GameCharacterPaintOver.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeap like everyone said- spec map needs some lovin.

also I`m not sure about 12800 tris. Seems a bit steep but I could be wrong. I know charachters in UT3 run the 6000-8000 range it seems as if thats as "next gen" as it gets right now. I`d say on your next project try a nd hit a lower poly count.

Super kickass otherwise. (excpet for the tatoos and some funky armor breakup here and there. mainly the shins) :P

I cant WAIT to see it with a better spec map because a spec map can make or break a model. In this case its breaking it frown.gif

DONT STOP, YOUR SOOOOOOO CLOSE.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    it looks bad ass but definitely fix up the spec if it can look at least half as good as vig's paintover (I had no idea they could make that much of a difference.. )

I look forward to seeing the changes you hopefully make!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Killer 2nd poste dude. Very nice work, fix up the spec and you have a barrel of win wink.gif
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
  • Matys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx alot guys :-) i will defenetly fix this specular map laugh.gif

SupRore ty, i already started working on that spec map :-)

Slipstream im glad you like it laugh.gif, ..well im studing atm at University of warsaw in Poland studing Mechanics/machine design wich is really boring compered to gameart laugh.gif

ElysiumGX i defenetly will work on that skin, and thx for poiting typeo wink.gif i missed that :/

Sectaurs laugh.gif thx man, well desing was my idia and im not much of a concept artist <rotfl> but im trying to draw some of my idias and hopfule will get better at this :-)

Vig wow that paint over is awsome blush.gif defenetly need to fix it laugh.gif thx alot m8

konstruct well its alot i know, at the begining i wanted to close at 9k, 10k max but then i added some cool looking details and it was abowe 10k, when i tryed to go down with polygount it didn't look so cool anymore :/ and it's a portfolio model so why not haveing a bit fun with it :-)

bounchfx thx i will post some changes asap :-)

Xaltar thx man

again thx alot for so meany coments it will defenetly be a grage help for me.
    btw sorry for speling :/
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I got wood...

Amazing character in or out, I have no complaints other than asking for a damn wire frame!

I might suggest a glow map for the feet red exhasut port area. I think it might add to the character a bit more, listen to vig and sec' and the rest and you'll be golden smile.gif
    also spec map needs some love to it..
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    there is much wobble in your noramal map
  • westsidazrhidaz
    hey dude, awesome modeling and texturing, i was wondering though, is this a viewport screenshot or is it a render.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    there is much wobble in your noramal map

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I thought it was just me, seeing as no one else mentioned this. Especially with a model as dense as yours I figured the normal map would bake really crisp and straight. So I'm assuming the actual high-res model may have been sculpted a little wonky.
    Overall, I think your model looks great and could do with some love in a few areas like most people have mentioned. At the moment, everything is just so bronze. A bit of colour variation on the armour couldn't hurt and it will really make it pop.
    The face tattoo for the loss, that's probably the only thing on the model I really dislike. But that's just my opinion.

-caseyjones
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Posting a pic of the high poly source model(s) would be helpful for critiques so that we know in what area specific problems occured (ex: hard surface looking wobbly because the armor is in the source, due to the unwrap, or simply needs fixing in the generated map)
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    U ass smile.gif U posted it here hehe.
    Like i said before its better with spec but still need fixing. Try play more with curves on it should help a lot without putting much time on it. I know U are tired of it wink.gif
    Good work buddy.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job overall! I like the platform too. It's clear you've put in a lot of work.

Personally I prefer deco brush type hair. More like the renaissance sculptures. They model chunks of hair instead of strands.

http://visualarts.qld.gov.au/designyourowntour/image/files/large/batch_2007-05-25/rodin_1992.137.jpg

The torso seems out of proportion. The rib cage seems too tall to me. That may not be too easy to fix at this point I know. Maybe for next time though.

cheers
  • Matys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin thx alot :-) ... i belive i posted wire frame or you asking mapping wire frame ? i really don't know :/ about the glow map i really was thinking about it, but there is no point i gues i don't have any acces to put this character to any dicent engine so i decided that i will just stay on bais maps :/

aniceto ye i know :/ unfortunate im self learner workin afterhours/on weeknds and i don't have that much expirience, for example i learnd that all models of this kind should have strait edges not freestile like myine laugh.gif i really do feel i have lots to learn :/

westsidazrhidaz ty im really glad you like it :-) ... it's a scaneline max render with 3 direct lights nothing fancy i gues, i don't really know but i think it would look better in some engine for example ute3 :/

caseyjones :-( you right on that normal it could be better :/ btw i really love that tatoo laugh.gif but on the other hand im not a big fan of tatoos in general :-)

PolyHertz here you go :-) it's some old render vip i did
    <a href="www.fotosik.pl" target="_blank">ba1ef009532be253.jpg</a>

[Email]Por@szek[/Email] thx for advices ;-) You ass btw i have never been tired with my models like i said before i allways can't wait when i will have more time to work on it :-) if your tired with what you do that's first sing you should change something.

TWilson thx you right it was a lots of work i have to admit, it took me more than 1 month working mainly on weekends and late night after work, but still it was lots of fun for me to desingn the aromor and wathing her to get dicent shaps, i simple can't wait to start new model laugh.gif
    and thx for the hair and proportions advices i will keep that in mind :-)

im still testing that spec maps, and unfortunate my tablet is broken so i have to wait for new one :/ agint thx for all advices I really apritiate it!
  • Matys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i did some tests and this is one of the results,armor spec is not finished yet :/ just main scrathes, wanted to check if this is right direction
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9947/spectestqg0.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    if your tired with what you do that's first sing you should change something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats why I'm playing a lot more now with my 360 than doing something after work (damn I hope they will soon announce my project) ^^. And tell it to my employer who gave me 6 month long level to do on what I'm pissed and tired lmao.

I'll keep an eye on U, beware crazy.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks a lot better, the spec on the fleshy bits looks more natural.

You're going to kill me, but the hair texture needs more variation, along with overall highlights and shadows. Right now it is looking a lot like a hair helmet. You'll have to fake some layering by painting shadows and highlights. I haven't seen a spec map yet that can accurately fake the subtleties of hair by itself. You'll have to go in and paint some highlights and shadows on the defuse to help the lighting get the right look. Rendering technology is great, but its not perfect =)

You have a good amount of what I'm talking about, happening on top of the head by the part, but the parts we are looking at fall flat and need the same treatment.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    looks awesome man! i'm really impressed! the only thing I can think of is add a little more detail into her weapon, and you've scored!

can't wait to see more from you!