Home Technical Talk

.GBX format?

dfacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dfacto polycounter lvl 18
I DLed Trackmania Nations and wanted to go ahead and make a custom texture for the player car, but the model appears to be a .gbx, which I've never heard of. I searched a bit for some kind of importer or converter and found two, both apparently Halo related. One doesn't seem to work in max9, and the other imports .gbxmodel, not .gbx.

Anyone know anything that could help me or am I unlikely to find an importer for this format?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think the GBX format is actually some sort of compressed archive, since it's used for tracks as well as vehicles. Nothing to do with Gearbox AFAIK.
    Can't you use the in-game car painter?
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gearbox made the Halo PC port.

That's my contribution to this thread.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like there's no way to unpack those models, but at least I found a sort of workaround. I unzipped the skins for the other cars (.dds format), and can combine them with custom skins in PS, then export as .dds again and put them into the zip folders.

usa2kc4.jpg

First noob edit of the USA car (mine bottom) since I don't really like it. Need to figure out how to save out the alpha map properly since I think it regulates the shininess, but otherwise I can go ahead and see what I can do. Annoying that I don't have UVs, so I have to wing it, but I think I can still cook up something fancy.

As a side note, some of the car paint schemes in TMN are really nice.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The .GBX format is the Nadeo Game File format, and MoP is probably correct in it being a compression format.

If I remember correctly, you create new skins for cars by creating a new folder for them. Check the folder which has all the directories with abbreviations for each country. Create a new folder there, and copy the files from another. Paint over that, so you keep the original. You may have to save the skin from inside the games editor, then paint over Diffuse, Details, and Icon dds files. I may be a little off, as I'm trying to recall this while at work, but it is possible to paint completely custom skins. I'll try it when I get home later, as I've been playing around with Trackmania United, which is structured a little differently. The games tools allows you to import files into .GBX format, but I don't believe it allows for export.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Elysium. That's basically what I've been doing. Saving the basic gradients out from the in game editor, then painting over the .dds file in PS, as well as bashing the premade maps in for details and such. I'll see if I can create something spiffy. smile.gif