Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hexbot

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Ferg polycounter lvl 17
Finally posting this guy. He's been "done" for at least a few weeks now. I was hoping to wait and post him with some other assets for the mod he's part of, but because of real-job related delays, it's gonna be a while before much else is showable. I'm also going to go back in a month or two and do a LOT of revision on this guy, so crits may actually make their way into the model despite the fact that it's currently "finished".

I need to move on to something else now though... most of the garbage in my portfolio is of my design, in my style, and doesn't really seem to fit with any "established" styles in the industry, and so isn't doing much to get me a job. I need something that shows employers I can take THEIR designs and reproduce them perfectly in 3d. After I post this, I'm surfing over to conceptart.org to find something that has a better chance of landing me a job making art. I'm testing games right now. Arg.

He's sitting at a little over 10k polies right now, and was designed to be the only character model in a multiplayer mod. High poly count, I know, but the game won't have many assets so we're pushing the ones we do have a little further than we normally could.

Any crits would be very welcome. Design, model, texture... any or none. This was very much a learning experience for me, but I can see things that need changing already, and I'm sure a lot of your guys can see even more.

The textured shot here is from unreal3. I have him rigged and imported, setup with ragdoll etc. No animations though. The glow texture on the crystals is animated with a slow flowing pulse effect. The wrist chain things are setup to spin when a certain ability is used, that's why they're separate geometry and not entirely normal mapped into the forearm.

hexwip5.jpg

"low poly" wires...
hexwires.jpg

Here's the texture sample I threw up on my portfolio. The complete layout is pretty ugly (he was originally unwrapped without any uv mirroring... so you can imagine the kind of mess the entire layout is), so I tried to choose a sample region that represented the rest of it pretty well.
hexwip6.jpg

Original doodles in the sketchbook that spawned him...
hexwip_concept.jpg

and lastly... kids... let me pass on some advice... dont model a mechanical character unless you have a lot of patience. They are a fucking bitch and a half to unwrap.

Thanks for taking a look smile.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Thats absolutely fantastic. I love it.

If your mod needs some to make an animation set for that guy, I'd be up for it, mainly cause that model kicks ass smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one Ferg!

for your portfolio a few things to add.

Something easy to do and worth it would be to add a few overlays on the spec map to break up the flow of the shine.
    When dealing with metal objects its all up to the spec map to make it really shine as metal.

Other things to do would be a very quick upping of the contrast in the diffuse and bit more grime and grit. And maybe try upping the value of the normal map so it makes things pop more and add an overlay normal map with some random big and small noise details on it for that its been around the block once look.

All and all very nice work!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i saw this piece in your portfolio a couple days ago love it!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    he's cool, got him running around Roboblitz yet?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    My only crit is that it makes me quite jealous.

Great work smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    oh damn this dudes tight and yeah unwrapping mechanical robots are a pain. anything that stretches a bit will look like ass.

Good job though man.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    aesir - We do need him animated. He's rigged with biped too, which from what I'm told will make animating him a cinch. However since I have to go back and redo the UV layout, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the current rig. He's using biped though, so theoretically if you animated him as-is, we could use those animations with the re-rigged model. Blah. Maybe. I'll post when I start working on the project again, ask me then smile.gif
    TGZ - Thanks, good crit. Will definitely keep that in mind when re-doing the spec map.
    Neo_god - Thanks mang smile.gif
    Armanguy - Thanks, yah he's been on my site for a while. A month? ish? longer? One loses track of time in the monotony of game testing. Anyway, thanks smile.gif
    spacemonkey - Not running per se... but I do have him falling into large piles of useless junk:

hexpile.jpg

Lupus - good crit, thanks tongue.gif
    Jesse - many thanks green apple man
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! I was talking to Mop earlier today about how no one puts custom models into games anymore. Get it working with an animation set and you'll have proved me wrong! laugh.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hehe roboblitz mod for the win! Im finishing out my internship at the company that made roboblitz, so Im quite familiar with it smile.gif

Feel free to throw me the biped with the current model and I'll send you back some .bip files anytime.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Beautyfull smile.gif
    Only thing i have to crit is that the head should stand out more from the rest of the body, the hands and foots are nicely seperated because of the shiny crystals stuff but the head looks somehow very unimportantly. Maybe makeing the eye red or putting some stickers or stripes in another color on the head would be enough.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg that looks very solid man! I agree with Davision3D about the head though.