Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

likeness attempt

sups. heres a quicky im doing cus i realize i suck at working directly from a reference and tend to work off of the top of my head. I figure doing a likeness would be a good way to improve modeling what i see. PLEASE critique.
the actress is Keira Knightley.
kknightly_wip01.jpg

Replies

• Elpen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elpen polycounter lvl 9
    Yea, Keira has a interesting face. I can only suggest getting numerous pics of reference, that way you get a better sense of her face structure vs from 2 pics
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    essentially, to capture someone's face, the structure around the bride of the nose and the sockets is the prime focus. if you get that right than its fine. right now the brow feels a little too smoothed- out and formless. notice in her profile how it extends further out in the center than what i see in your renders. she is delicate indeed, yet the brow should be more prominent and the sockets better understood, so the eyeballs are smaller, eventually, like in the pics.

also her nose is more "uppity", its bottom base needs readjusting back up and into the skull (dragging the mouth with it).

i think in portraits it is better not to force the obvious similarities in but let the forms of the face create them. even if it doesn't match 1:1, it looks more natural if u just go with what u made rather than "paint" the lips where they aren't, so to say.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    You can never have enough reference, and as Daz once said try to get a movie of her turning her head through 90 degrees from front to side. Scrubbing through that will give you far more info that still images.

The main thing I can see is that her nostril sits in the middle of a flat plane (on your first and second ref) so there's more of a pinch on the outside of the nose.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Be careful not to go too sharp on the corners of the mouth. It's a subtlety that ends up looking quite odd if not correct smile.gif
  • merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like her already, well done. Can i reccomend inflating the cheak a little in the area closer to her nose and as Shotgun mentioned "the brow should be more prominent and the sockets better understood, so the eyeballs are smaller". Keep up the good work.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Judging by your ref pics, the nose needs a slight upwards turn, which you don't have. It and the mouth also look to be set a bit far forward.

Aside from that, definitely focus a lot more on the bridge of the nose and brows, like Shotgun said, and consider making the chin a little bit more rounded and subtley more defined.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • suffeli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiyas!

The topology looks very solid and the likeness is starting to fit together. Like many people have stated before, I would gather some more ref material because it's very hard to model only from orthographic pictures. The lens distortion tends to make everything get a slight fish eye look.... I think you could find some high res trailers from Apples site that Keira starred in. Like this:

53ewk00.jpg

Anyway...

For me the eyes look too big and they are too much apart from the nose bridge. Her jaw still needs more defined rounded shape. I think her facial shapes are correct but the problem is in the relationship of the nose, mouth and the eyes. Forget the orthos for now and just trust your eyes. Dunno if you have notice but Keira kinda looks like "the young Angelina Jolie" smile.gif.

Do you plan to sculpt rest of the detail or just plain ole' subdivision modeling? Dunno... but I've been told that you should always model faces in perspective view and forget orthographic? Anyway... If anyone could share some great tips on realistic face modeling I would be very grateful. Especially how would you use the reference pictures efficiently.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Damn. Her eyebrows are thick. Even MY eyebrows are sexier than hers.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    lol Soul
    mvelasquez nice work man!
    i will watch that thread.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roflol, I never noticed the eyebrows. Looks like orlandos fake mustache got stuck to her forhead.

Anyway nice modelling, hope you'll add textures later.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    When you look at the model in a perspective view, make sure that the virtual 'camera' you're looking through has a real world fov. I'd suggest 80 or even 90 degrees - that way you'll see it as a photographer would and your model should be able to match your refs a lot easier.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Her eyes look a bit too big to me.
    You might want to scale them down about 10%
    Also, her face in general feels a bit elongated...at least in comparison to the ref just posted.
    Coming along nicely.
    B
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool GRAVE-MVELASQUEZ- the likeness is already there
    for sure !
    okidoki - dizzy is going to make some crits.
    confused.giflaugh.gif - don't be scared. laugh.gif

<u>NOW - You have to find her natural expression</u> ( not like on Your sheet model in a frontview ... that's bad , it's more kooki looki = hello photo I'm here laugh.gif
    The last pick from
    Mr.suffeli is great , well first what I see

1) it's her eyebrow.
    Yours is more in bow and up, but her is more straight and down -close to eyes

2) Dont't forget a little hole between lips in a middle = very typical for Keira !

We can not be based on one pick , but I've made a small .GIF - (I don't pretend that I'm right wink.gif)

kknightly.gif

Grave - there's Celebrity Head Sculpt Competition
    at http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54
    till 23.JULY 07 - go there , You can still participate.

go on wink.gif
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help on this

suffeli: great shots, they really helped! I could tell the chin i gave her was all wrong. i tried to screencap the first potc but the shots i got were too low rez and really didnt help much.
    Aside from adjusting the chin, i shortened her face vertically, moved her eyes closer together and made them slightly smaller, mostly height wise.
    I agree dizzy, the orthos i put together were very "glamour shot" and not natural. some of the work on the challenge looks very cool, though i dont think ill have the time to bring this to competion level. its just an exercise and i probably wont even texture.
    kknightly_wip03.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    did a quick paint over. (note: make all your refs grey scale so that your brain can look at shadows and highlights for mass)
    keira.jpg
    Mainly i wanted to point out the cheek structure that needed fixing.
    She has very far forward and high cheek bones, and because she is so thin her jaw bones stick out just a bit in the back.
    The chin has a just a bit more of a ball end than what you have as well.

hope that helps.